Search Unity

Generic Sharing for first time in 5.2?

Discussion in 'iOS and tvOS' started by akutruff, Sep 21, 2015.

1. akutruff

akutruff

saw this note in the 5.2 release notes:
    • iOS/IL2CPP: Enable generic sharing for types and methods whose generic parameters have constraints

Is this the first time all the generic sharing cases were enabled in the 5.0 branch? We are crawling through all the release notes, and see that the 4.X branches have had this specific note for a while. However, I only see partial mentions of generic sharing in the 5.X release notes. We use constraints heavily in the form of Foo<T>() where T : BaseClass as well as where T: new().

I'm asking before we do yet another upgrade as it is costly. Our build is a whopping 66 MB of code for a universal build and we are struggling to get under 100MB on 5.1.3p2. I want to make sure that we aren't upgrading for something we already have in our current version of Unity.

2. JoshPeterson

JoshPeterson

Unity Technologies

Upgrading to 5.2 will not provide any additional improvements that you don't already have in the latest 5.1 patch release. We're shipping the same IL2CPP code base across 4.6, 5.1, and 5.2 versions. We've had everything for generic sharing enabled across all of these releases for at least a month or more now. I think that something might have been messed up a bit with the release notes in this case, sorry for the confusion.

If you are able to provide your project in a bug report we could take a look at it to see if there is something else we can do to improve the build size.

3. akutruff

akutruff

4. JoshPeterson

JoshPeterson

Unity Technologies