Search Unity

"Generic In-Game Level Editor System": Complete, full-featured mapping & modding for ANY Unity game

Discussion in 'Works In Progress - Archive' started by yahodahan, Sep 4, 2015.

1. yahodahan

yahodahan

UPDATE: We will be showcasing GILES at Unite 2015, in Boston!! Come see us, try out the first build, and chat about our plans for the future of GILES!
    ~
    Generic In-Game Level Editor System for Unity
    (working title: GILES)

Thanks for viewing our WIP thread! We'll be posting dev progress, updates, news, etc, here as GILES moves forward toward a finished product. We'd love to have your input and suggestions!

We'll be updating with detailed info, feature lists, videos, all that good stuff very soon!

EDIT: Very first demo video is ready, check it out! :D

~

What is GILES?

GILES is an add-on for ANY Unity game that enables in-game users to create, edit, and share custom levels ("maps"), with the full power of Unity-style editing.

How can GILES help my Unity game?

Gamers LOVE to get creative and create custom game levels, share with friends, etc- give them that power and watch your game explode with user-driven popularity! Consider: Quake, Counter-Strike, Team Fortress 2, Unreal Tournament- all made famous by their mapping community.

What makes GILES special?

GILES supports complete serialization, property inspection, robust undo/redo, custom textures and meshes, and so much more. Simply put, GILES is a simplified, streamlined version of Unity, right inside your game.

Will GILES be easy to use?

ABSOLUTELY. Our goal is to make GILES a "plug-n-play" addition, accessible to developers of all skill levels, with very minor setup required. Adding GILES to your Unity game will be a simple, enjoyable experience!

Will GILES look sexy in my game?

You betchya! GILES will include a "GUI Skin" feature so you can easily match it's look to your game.

What will GILES cost?

That depends on you- we are considering two major options:
    • Free "base", with small-priced "modules" - this would allow anyone to jump in and try out the basics, and only pay for advanced features if needed.
    • Flat, one-time price of about $150 - $300
    Thoughts? Other suggestions? Let us hear 'em!

How much of GILES is completed?

All the tough parts! We have serialization (scene load/save), undo and redo, full Unity-style inspector and object property editing, transform handles (move, rotate, scale), and much more, already functioning, on PC and mobile platforms. It's mostly cosmetic, functionality tweaks, minor additions, etc that are left.

When will GILES be available?

We can't give an exact ETA yet, but hopefully 1 to 3 months.

How can I test GILES before ANYONE ELSE?

Come see us at (or outside of) Unite 2015, in Boston! We'll be showcasing as a sponsor and would love to meet, chat, and hear your thoughts and suggestions for GILES.

~
    Video, Playable Demo, & More Info Coming VERY Soon!

Please check back often, and let us know your thoughts in this thread, thanks for reading! :)
    ~

Last edited: Sep 17, 2015
    overthere and Arkade like this.
  2. 99thmonkey

99thmonkey

3. Hertzole

Hertzole

Well I better save up some money. This is something I've wanted and tried to work on (and failed I might add) for almost an entire year! SO happy to see this and especially happy to get it from developer(s) that I know make some of the best Unity products out there! :)

4. yahodahan

yahodahan

Thanks RealMTG, that's exactly why we're making GILES! And exactly why a very, very important part of the design is making it dead-simple to integrate and use with any Unity project. :)

5. Arkade

Arkade

Sounds good!
    Three important aspects for my money:
    1. Developer configurable (so players can only do things the developer allows, choose from acceptable parts, callbacks to interact while player building).
    2. Developer theme-able, etc so it 'feels right' (in game).
    3. Performance - static batching-like facility?

6. yahodahan

yahodahan

Thanks Arkade!
    1. Absolutely, you (the dev) will have simple methods of controlling exactly what is available to your players
    2. Yep! It'll be easy to "skin" and adjust for your game (I should add info on that above, thanks)
    3. Yes, we'll have a special batching/merging method and other performance-minded functions.

Arkade likes this.
  7. Hertzole

Hertzole

Hello once again! I thought about a feature that I have not seen mentioned here. What about triggers and such? For example, in hammer you can make triggers, player colliders, no draws e.t.c. Will this be possible in GILES and what about different trigger functions? For example, making triggers for doors, kill triggers e.t.c.

8. yahodahan

yahodahan

Hi! Yes, triggers, colliders, special volumes, etc, will all be available and customizable!

We really do mean it when we say, this will be a complete level editor solution, in-game. :)

9. Rick-

Rick-

Hello!
    I've seen a tool in the Asset Store called RepTile made by you guys i suppose.
    What correlations/differences GILES and RepTile have?

10. yahodahan

yahodahan

Hi Rick- RepTile lets you build levels in the Unity Editor, while GILES lets your players build levels right in your game- like the "map editor" of olde games :)

EDIT: RepTile (and ProBuilder too) does have in-game ability and API, sorry if I made that unclear! The big difference is, GILES is, well, "Unity inside Unity" - just about the full Unity Editor, made available inside the game :)

Last edited: Sep 8, 2015
    Rick- likes this.
  11. Crystalline

Crystalline

Definitely something very useful for future games.

12. 99thmonkey

99thmonkey

And here I was hoping that RepTile would extend functionality to InGame as well (just able to place prefabs in designated areas). Anyways, I've been mulling around how I can use GILES, but haven't gotten there yet. I will keep an eye on this regardless.

13. yahodahan

yahodahan

Thanks, we'll have much more info soon, and a real demo!

Oops, I may have confused things- made an edit to my comment above, to clarify. RepTile DOES have in-game capabilities, and an API for this (same as ProBuilder). However both RepTile and ProBuilder are limited in scope- they are tools, not a toolbox. GILES is the "toolbox" - it gives you a virtual container for all your tools, and a few basic ones included, so you (the dev) can allow your players to create maps, items, mods, etc, just about anything imaginable. :)

14. Haagndaaz

Haagndaaz

I've been working on a runtime lightmapper, similar to what they did in Halo 4 forge mode, could see it being really useful along with your tool!

yahodahan and Arkade like this.
  15. yahodahan

yahodahan

Yes, that's another thing to mention (silly me...) - we are making sure GILES is very easy to extend with other plugins. Your lightmapping tool would be a perfect example! Thanks for the comment- we should definitely stay in touch. :)

16. Haagndaaz

Haagndaaz

:) I am planning on finishing a basic prototype on the 10-hour plane ride to Paris this weekend, will post a link to the thread once it is created!

yahodahan likes this.
  17. yahodahan

yahodahan

Great! Have fun in Paris! :)

Haagndaaz likes this.
  18. sowatnow

sowatnow

Sounds good. Looking forward to it.

yahodahan likes this.
  19. yahodahan

yahodahan

Okay, very first demo video is ready, check it out, would love to hear all feedback, ideas, suggestions, etc! So excited to have this really, truly working (in a very early stage), and ready to showcase at Unite!

JamesArndt and Rick- like this.
  20. JamesArndt

JamesArndt

Good looking tool. I know a good amount of indie folks out there haven't gotten their hands dirty with modular kit making, so that would be one aspect to consider for customers.

yahodahan likes this.
  21. yahodahan

yahodahan

Thanks James- yep, this will work particularly well with modular kits. Our upcoming "ProBuilder RT" will also be compatible, so players could use ProBuilder's tools to custom build levels, details, etc, in-game as well.

99thmonkey likes this.
  22. 99thmonkey

99thmonkey

You said ProBuilder RT! That's what I want.

yahodahan likes this.
  23. yahodahan

yahodahan

Ha, I know, I know! This all came about because we were working hard on PBRT, and realized it needed a generic in-game editor system in the background...soon we realized it would actually make better sense to first make that a complete, no-limitations, easily-extendable asset, and then build ProBuilder RT as an extension of it. Don't worry, building this has actually been, in a way, all PBRT progress! :)

24. LaneFox

LaneFox

Checked out the video, looks really cool!

Looks like you've covered most of the bases for handling what a tool like this really needs to do. Looking forward to it!

yahodahan likes this.
  25. yahodahan

yahodahan

Thanks LaneFox! Big part of this is making sure it isn't just a "niche" tool- it is absolutely going to be usable by (in theory) just about any game at all made with Unity, with zero code knowledge at all. Just drop it in, check a few boxes, and jump right in. With plenty of room for advanced users to dig in too, of course.

26. ObsidianSpire

ObsidianSpire

This looks really neat. Saw this on Twitter and checked it out as a result.

I'll definitely play around with it once it's available and see if I can integrate it into one of my upcoming games.

yahodahan likes this.
  27. yahodahan

yahodahan

Thanks! It will be very easy to integrate, I promise :)

28. eelbaz

eelbaz

Looks amazing! Cannot wait.

29. eelbaz

eelbaz

Are there any updates you can share with us?

30. Hertzole

Hertzole

So... anything new? :rolleyes:

31. Falagard

Falagard

Just curious if you have any plans for terrain editing support?

32. rickygutiaular

rickygutiaular

free? i can add this to my project? i can add more objects? :)

33. Hertzole

Hertzole

As no one is really likely to respond here, let me try to help you a bit.
    You can add it to your project, and you can probably add more objects. I haven't really tested it too much recently. It's free and can be found here: https://github.com/Unity-Technologies/giles It's under Unity's roof now since they acquired the ProCore guys recently.

34. deneme09

deneme09

It's great to see something like this for free! Looks as advanced as other paid ones. I'll try it in my project as soon as possible to see what you should add to make it better.

35. sara_unityads

sara_unityads

Its Saving Meshes only and not textures. any suggestions please?
    Thanks.

36. sara_unityads

sara_unityads

Its saving meshes only and not textures. any suggestions please?
    Thanks.

37. Hertzole

Hertzole

Sorry, I don't know anything about it.