Search Unity

1. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Generating Lightmaps (Build)- quality using Baked GI vs Precompute Realtime GI

Discussion in 'Global Illumination' started by eco_bach, Aug 16, 2015.

1. eco_bach

eco_bach

As a novice Unity 5 user its taken me awhile to begin to fully grasp the difference between Baked and Precompute GI. Part of my confusion stems in part from Unity's use of terminology. Maybe I'm nitpicking, but isn't 'Build' something you do when you deploy an application? Wouldn't 'Generate Lightmaps' be more accurate, less confusing?

Anyways, my question. At least one very popular tutorial suggests that, for optimum lightmap quality especially in shadows, you should always enable 'Baked GI' even when you are planning to use 'Precomputed Realtime GI' for your actual game play and deploy. I personally haven't found this. I get results using Baked GI that exhibit the same jagged edge problems as mentioned in this thread
    http://forum.unity3d.com/threads/jagged-shadows-in-baked-lightmaps-unity-5.317150/
    Can any lightmap experts Enlighten me (pun intended)? Does Baked GI (with proper settings) always give you better lightmaps? Anyone?

Last edited: Aug 17, 2015
  2. eco_bach

eco_bach

things that go BUMP...

3. Teo

Teo

post model, details, wireframe, post uv's first.

4. eco_bach

eco_bach

5. AcidArrow

AcidArrow

Baked GI is usually higher resolution and has more details (plus has better/proper indirect shadowing), so if those conditions are met, it should look better. The jagged edges is a bug/flaw.

What is your question more specifically?