Search Unity

Generating content by a seed value?

Discussion in 'Scripting' started by Mazena, Mar 22, 2019.

1. Mazena

Mazena

I've been bashing my head against a wall with a programming and design issue with my game for a while now. I'm creating a location-based game for mobile devices, and I want to spawn enemies and other objects around the map (kinda like Pokémons spawning in Pokémon Go). I want to generate these locally for each player and yet for each player to see the same things. I don't have a huge server that could keep track of everything spawned, so I know I'm going to have to use some seed generation to give the appearance of randomness, but have total control over it.

Basically, I thought of creating a seed for every Point of Interest on the map upon loading it by probably using it's longitude, latitude, current datetime's day and year (which is checked using a http call upon game start and rechecked every time game's been minimized to prevent any easy shenanigans). I know what I want to generate, which is a few sets of 10 random objects from lists of objects, generate spawn locations, spawn order, and a start minute/second for when the first object would have been spawned on the current day. Well, all these are subject to change, but I have no idea how to generate all this using a seed value.

Are there any resources you know that would be helpful? Or any suggestions or ideas on what I'm currently planning?

2. Laperen

Laperen

Youve shared what you want to accomplish, but i doubt anyone has any idea how to respond since you have not shared what youve tried and how it failed/crashed or performed badly.

We also have no grasp of your skill level giving us no idea what solution to give.

As a shot in the dark however, have you went over this link?
    https://docs.unity3d.com/530/Documentation/ScriptReference/Random-seed.html

3. Joe-Censored

Joe-Censored