Search Unity

Generate scene in the Editor by code

Discussion in 'Scripting' started by Flash-Gordon, Mar 3, 2016.

1. Flash-Gordon

Flash-Gordon

Hi, I have a simple script that creates a Grid of prefabs so I don't have to copy all the objects in the scene manually.
    By now the Objects only get created when the game starts.
    So i wondered if there is a Way to execute scripts in the editor to help me build a world fast and preview it directly.

I imagine something like a component "create prefab grid" where I can set the rows and columns and it generates these prefabs directly in the scene instead of when the game starts.

Is there a (easy) way to do this?
    Thanks

2. Hyblademin

Hyblademin

You could always make a prefab that holds the prefab grid as children. It should be easy enough to just drag the grid into the scene, then remove the children from the parent using the Hierarchy view and delete the parent.

Of course, you could also leave them as children if motion isn't relevant, or disconnect them in Start() with scripting.

3. dfsantos

dfsantos

If I'm not mistaken, you will find what you seek here or here.

Maybe this can be useful.

Last edited: Mar 3, 2016
  4. Hyblademin

Hyblademin

These all have to do with modifying the interface. OP wants to add prefabs to a scene when not in runtime.

5. Flash-Gordon

Flash-Gordon

Well I found out that it is possible to copy the generated prefabs while the game runs and past them afterwards into the hierarchy. This solution is not ideal but its way faster than adding everything by hand and changing the positions manualy.

6. dfsantos

dfsantos

You can change the interface to add prefabs to a scene when not in runtime. See this video.

Flash-Gordon likes this.
  7. Flash-Gordon

Flash-Gordon

Perfect Thanks

dfsantos likes this.