Search Unity

Generate lighting stops working...

Discussion in 'Global Illumination' started by petey, Sep 8, 2019.

1. petey

petey

Hi there,

Just getting into Lightmaps in Unity but I keep hitting this odd bug. Often when I press 'Generate Lighting' Unity clears all of the existing lighting but never rebuilds the new lighting.
    It's a bit frustrating because I have to restart Unity almost always before I update the lightmaps in a scene.

Has anyone else had this? I'd love to know a solution.
    Thanks!
    Pete

2. KEngelstoft

KEngelstoft

Unity Technologies

Please add more information about this part *never rebuilds the new lighting*. What happens, do you see a progress bar, what stops working etc.

3. petey

petey

Sure thing! Thanks for checking the post.

So the first time I generate lighting in a scene (after opening the project) it works fine.
    Screen Shot 2019-09-10 at 8.27.25 am.png Screen Shot 2019-09-10 at 8.27.59 am.png

Then if I close the scene and reopen it, the bake wont work at all. Instead Unity seems to remove all of the bake data (from the viewport) and kinda gets stuck in limbo. It has the force stop button but it doesn't seem to be actually running at this point.
    Screen Shot 2019-09-10 at 8.30.25 am.png Screen Shot 2019-09-10 at 8.30.32 am.png

I'm opening up different scenes all the time because the game scene is seperate to the environment, so this happens quite a bit when tweaking lighting. Is there some way to see a log of what Unity is doing at that time? It might shed some light on what it's getting hung up on.

Thanks,
    Pete

4. KEngelstoft

KEngelstoft

Unity Technologies

Which version of Unity are you using?

5. petey

petey

I’m in 2018.4 (LTS) on OSX Mojave.

6. KEngelstoft

KEngelstoft

Unity Technologies

Hi, this is unexpected, it should quickly get to the state that you see on the first time opening the scene. Is this a problem even when creating a new project from scratch? Please consider reporting a bug: https://unity3d.com/unity/qa/bug-reporting