Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Bug Generate Lighting is not using GPU to bake (Progressive GPU is selected)

Discussion in 'Global Illumination' started by mihu9612, Sep 28, 2022.

1. mihu9612

mihu9612

I just got an Radeon 6800 XT and for some reason now when I'm trying to bake lighting It's using CPU instead of GPU o_O I tried cleaning GI Cache but It didn't work. I would like to make it work with GPU since right now my old GTX 1060 was much faster when baking. Can someone tell me how to force it to run on the GPU? Maybe after changing the card I was supposed to delete some other Unity related files?

BsDHA.png NcJZy.png

2. kristijonas_unity

kristijonas_unity

Unity Technologies

Progressive lightmapper is using your GPU for lightmapping. You can see that in the bake statistics window at the bottom.
    If you have some concrete proof of 1060 being faster than the 6800 XT under the same exact circumstances, then please report a bug.

3. mihu9612

mihu9612

If it's using my GPU why It's utilization is around 5-10% and CPU is like 80-100%?

Yea, to report this i would have to switch GPUs again and I'm not going to do that :D

4. kristijonas_unity

kristijonas_unity

Unity Technologies

You'd have to check the Compute performance in the Task Manager. The overall utilization might not be a good metric.
    High CPU utilization can be caused by Intel denoiser, which runs on the CPU.
    Try disabling the Progressive Updates, or switch to the Radeon Pro denoiser by setting the filtering field to Advanced.

Pokopish likes this.
  5. mihu9612

mihu9612

I tried to run with and without "Progressive Updates" (with Radeon Pro denoiser) now cpu usage dropped but GPU isn't even trying to make this process as fast as possible :D I think this should use more GPU resources, right?
    upload_2022-9-28_19-39-20.png upload_2022-9-28_19-39-40.png

6. kristijonas_unity

kristijonas_unity

Unity Technologies

Yes, it does look like your GPU is underutilized. Could you report a bug? We might have to get our hands on the same GPU as you have to investigate.

7. mihu9612

mihu9612

I've cleared cache one more time and after a couple of bakes im hitting 550 mrays/s, so if anyone encounters this bug, even after clearing your cache, clear it again and it may work :)

kristijonas_unity likes this.
  8. wechat_os_Qy02dw19NPq-DvMUVKSAl2VQA

wechat_os_Qy02dw19NPq-DvMUVKSAl2VQA

same problem here, I can get an almost 100% GPU run on my Apple silicon mac with a bake time of 8 min
    but when I switched to windows it could only use 2%~6% of my wx9100 which resulted in 2 days of bake time.