Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

General Stability

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Bartheinz, Oct 4, 2021.

1. Bartheinz

Bartheinz

Hey,
    I am using Unity now since... Unity4.0... so many years now and i really enjoy making all our projects with it and also spending loads of my free time experimenting and developing new ideas.
    But recently my certainty about Unity as my most favorite development tool gets a more and more dents.
    Because as for some time now, all my projects at a certain size begin to be super unstable when recompiling (like a 50/50 chance of freezing the whole editor), The editor tends to freeze while Importing the projects, bugs like WebRequests not working in a random distribution over UnityEditor versions. There are so many little things i usually don't care that much about or just can sustain, but it all sums up lately a lot.

So my question is:
    Am i the only one feeling like that about Unity ? Fearing my beloved tool may become more and more a feature creep that cant stand on his legs anymore ?

I really don't like or want to hate, because i know how much time, tears, money and effort is behind all this, but maybe a bigger chunk of all the resources should be focused on the core of Unity again instead of features that only 5% of the users need and that are important for maybe 1% of the projects.

NotaNaN, Wattosan, Metron and 2 others like this.
  2. Amon

Amon

Unity is a mess. The companies ethics have gone out the window.

chingwa likes this.
  3. Ryiah

Ryiah

While we might like to think that only a small percentage of users wanted these features the reality is Unity has a history of not implementing functionality until a significant percentage of their paying customers have asked for it.

4. willemsenzo

willemsenzo

I've held grudges on Unity for a while, especially since I am on Linux and finding a stable editor to run on it took quite some time. Lately I must say (just my own experience) that it has been greatly improved and it almost feels like using it on Windows. To put things a bit in perspective, consider Unity supports Windows/MacOS and Linux, plus they allow you to build for almost any platform you can think of is pretty amazing. Now look at the direct competition like Unreal Engine. Do they allow you to build for so many platforms? No. Do they allow you to run the engine on all 3 major operating systems? Yes, but not without hurdles. For Linux they don't give you a binary you can run, but Unity does that and overall it works pretty well. It took me way over 2 hours to compile Unreal from source, only to not even be able to get the program to run so I just gave up because I didn't feel like putting in even more time. When I sum up all the pros and cons I don't think it's that bad. Sure there are issues and I don't want to downplay your frustrations (I've had plenty myself) but a game engine is a pretty complex program which takes a lot of effort to create and maintain. There are always other options for you to explore and if you've done so you might understand from what perspective I am looking at it.

5. AcidArrow

AcidArrow

True, but they also do things that no one asked for (did someone ask for 3 render pipelines?).

But that is fine by the way. IMO if someone that works at Unity has a great idea for a feature, they should absolutely go for it regardless of what the community asked.

The real problem is that the implementation quality of all recent (=last 5 years) features, asked by the community or not, ranges from catastrophic to subpar (also known as the Collaborate to Input System scale).

Last edited: Oct 5, 2021
    Metron likes this.
  6. neginfinity

neginfinity

Around Unity 5 release I took a look at how rendering was a thought "it would be great if the rendering process was hackable". Things like custom shadowcasters weren't possible.

SRP basically answers that. However, I didn't really want 3 different pipelines and would prefer to have ONE with more points that could be accessed and modified instead.