Search Unity

GENERAL REFUNDS THREAD

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by overthere, Mar 4, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Graham-Dunnett

Graham-Dunnett

Administrator

Customers who made 5.x pre-release purchases with PayPal can get refunds if they have a credit/debit card that the refund can be given to. We don't have PayPal refunds at this time. (Because of the costs of implementing it.) You are still entitled to a refund, if you can provide a card we can make the payment to.

2. imaginaryhuman

imaginaryhuman

I got email from Oscar in support who said he's looking into it for me. I still don't know what the refund method will end up being. I believe you can still get a refund regardless of how you paid, it's just a matter of getting the refund payment method to work.

3. imaginaryhuman

imaginaryhuman

Trouble is this isn't really true... I've tried multiple different cards in different browsers and none of it works, and there's absolutely nothing wrong with those cards. Has anyone here who paid by paypal, managed to get the refund system to work at all? Does the card have to be a CREDIT and not a DEBIT-style card?

Rajmahal likes this.
  4. overthere

overthere

Studica UK

Yes @Graham Dunnett , I am well aware of that, I'm reporting what Studica UK asked me to provide. I would suggest you raise it again with your "Gold level" Reseller, I'm the customer, it does no good telling me.

Last edited: Mar 17, 2015
  5. Aurore

Aurore

Director of Real-Time Learning

It has to be a Credit card to work through the form. If you don't have one, let support know.

6. WilliamBNewton

WilliamBNewton

@Aurore
    By credit do you mean a card from Visa/MasterCard/Discover no matter if it's tied to a line of credit or a bank account, or does it HAVE to be a credit credit card? Because that first type is common referred to as a debit card in the US, even though it's usually processed as credit.

7. Graham-Dunnett

Graham-Dunnett

Administrator

So, it can be a credit or debit card. Our system tries 3 times to issue the refund. If the card processing company we use tells us that the refund failed, then the refund request is shut down, and the finance team attempt to make the refund payment manually. I've not heard of this process failing.

8. imaginaryhuman

imaginaryhuman

I've tried with 2 `debit cards`, neither of which worked for me, then I got locked out. Why is Aurora using the terminology `credit` which could imply either a piece of plastic that has a line of credit, or a piece of plastic that does not have a line of credit? confusing..... anyway... Graham what you are saying is, either a debit card (no credit) or a 'credit card' (with line of credit) are supposed to work... then why did it not work? Anyway... just waiting for support to get back to me.

9. Graham-Dunnett

Graham-Dunnett

Administrator

We don't get enough data from cybersource to know why the refund failed.

10. imaginaryhuman

imaginaryhuman

You said the team attempt to make the payment by `manual process`... how does that work?

11. Graham-Dunnett

Graham-Dunnett

Administrator

Our finance team contacts the card issuer and requests to make a refund.

12. srmojuze

srmojuze

Yup that's me... Had fun playing with Unity 5 Pro Pre-Order etc. but time to go to Personal Edition for now.

Planning on getting Steam HTC VR dev kit :)

Will submit the form thingy today.

Here's my free asset :) Enjoy! https://www.assetstore.unity3d.com/en/#!/content/25276 ...Otherwise lots of stuff you can do with free or as mentioned discounted assets.

13. overthere

overthere

Studica UK

Update: I hadn't heard back from Studica UK if the information I sent was acceptable so I just spoke to a helpful lady in the office who said that they do not give refunds without Unity approval and that she was in contact with Unity to get that approval.
    I confirmed that she was happy for me to pass on that this was their procedure, which appears to contradict :

"Unity does not approve license refunds bought by students from Studica. Studica is supposed to do that."
    @Graham Dunnett

-----

I'm not asking for the refund to happen instantly, I'm just asking for an email that says yes it's actually been approved and in a few weeks or months the money will be refunded.

Last edited: Mar 18, 2015
  14. Stormbreaker

Stormbreaker

Has anyone had any luck with Studica UK yet? I'm holding off contact until Unity confirms there will be no problems.

15. Baroni

Baroni

Nope, doing the same. Nothing heard back from them since March 5th.

16. overthere

overthere

Studica UK

@Stormbreaker , @Baroni the advice now is to contact the Studica UK office again, the initial confusion has been cleared up and the staff will be able to tell you if you qualify for a refund or not.

Hope you get things sorted.

17. Stormbreaker

Stormbreaker

Does anyone have an email address for them? Their contact form is broken. -_-

18. overthere

overthere

19. Stormbreaker

Stormbreaker

Nevermind, it went through. And got the generic reply:

"We do not offer refunds for downloads."

Unity, you need to get this sorted out.

20. overthere

overthere

21. ibyte

ibyte

Please help - I wish to apply for a refund of IOS5 PRO but the web page as linked by the FAQ says my PDF invoice is not if PDF format.

22. Zaquard

Zaquard

Hey, I still get no feedback nor answer on my problem. I'm even not sure the support team got my email. It's almost 1 month that I didn't get my refund which I requested. Any idea on this? :(
    Thanks.

23. Aurore

Aurore

What browser and OS are you using?

How did you originally get in touch (direct e-mail or the refund contact form?) and do you have a case number?

24. Zaquard

Zaquard

Thanks to reply, my queen!
    First of all, when I found the problem, I used the 'contact' section of the official site, sent my issue toward to Sales part- no reply. Then I found this forum, had talked with Graham. He advised me to sent all info what I got to 'support at unity3D.com', so I sent probably this Monday or Tues - no reply. (my email address is ** btw)

Where I could find the number? Urm, do you mean the error code? The error message is 'One or more fields contains invalid data. (102) - Please try again. If the problem persists, please contact support.'

How did you originally get in touch (direct e-mail or the refund contact form?) and do you have a case number?[/QUOTE]

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 20, 2015
  25. ibyte

ibyte

Hi Aurore,

Windows 7 - FF 36.0.1

Two other questions for you if I may

1) I would only like a refund on iOS Pro pre-order upg but want to keep base Unity Pro. Will that be an issue?

2) Can i get my refund as an asset store credit vs a credit card refund. I have assets I wish to purchase and I would prefer to avoid putting more cash in the banks pockets due to currency exchanges back and forth.

Thanks

Last edited: Mar 20, 2015
  26. TrentSterling

TrentSterling

Not yet. I'm waiting for support to get back to me after I gave them all my banking details. Hopefully it'll be sorted soon. Last contact was March 13th.

27. Aurore

Aurore

[/QUOTE]

What was your issue specifically regarding? Your support case number should be in an auto-response after you send an e-mail to support. I can't find you in the system which means your e-mail has not got through to us.

28. Aurore

Aurore

For your invoice upload, make sure the filename has no special characters.

You will need to refund for everything, we can't process just add-ons so it's all or nothing.

We don't have the capability to refund through vouchers. Did you purchase through the online store?

29. ibyte

ibyte

Hi Aurore, The file and name is exactly as it was emailed to me from Unity.

If i apply for both refunds what does that mean to me if i wish to re-aquire a Base Pro license? This is starting to sound like I am about to get screwed here for supporting Unity's preorder program.

Yes the pre-order upgrade was purchased last August via the online store and paid for via paypal (credit card).

Last edited: Mar 20, 2015
  30. Zaquard

Zaquard

What was your issue specifically regarding? Your support case number should be in an auto-response after you send an e-mail to support. I can't find you in the system which means your e-mail has not got through to us.[/QUOTE]

OK, I have a problem to process my refund request of my pre-order license since 4th this month. I want to have the personal edition, so I requested refund, and Unity sent an email which includes a link where I should submit my credit card number details. When I click [Get Your Refund], Boom, there is an error said 'One or more fields contains invalid data. (102) - Please try again. If the problem persists, please contact support.'

When I sent an inquiry(Sales) to Unity3D, my local salesman, named Hwanhee Kim, emailed back to me to notice the email is going to the right place... and no reply.
    One of my friends who has exactly same problem called the the guy, and he said 'ask to Unity3D support team in English. Korea team cannot handle that problem.' (Whaaaat?)
    I sent emails to support@unity3d.com about this, and no reply, and I do not really know where is the support case number which everybody is asking me on this situation. :(

When I check my invoice information, the pending invoice is quite ready to refund via Unity Korea, but it would be possible after I put my bank account data or credit card or something where the money should go to. Is that possible to just contact to Unity Korea branch to fulfil the information and money back?

Or, if I want to cancel my refund request and maintain the professional license for future, what shall I do?

Last edited: Mar 21, 2015
  31. Graham-Dunnett

Graham-Dunnett

Administrator

So, refunding to customers who paid in won is currently causing Unity problems. We are trying to work out a way to do this. (My understanding, which might be faulty, is that South Korean banks are not accepting our refund requests. Could be our Danish finance team are failing to understand something uniquely South Korean.) As is aways the case, we're trying to work out what's (not) happening. And, as I always say, we did say it'll take 6 weeks to get a refund.

32. Zaquard

Zaquard

Thanks for your effort, I understand. (Korean banks are so weird...) Is it possible that I cancel my refund request, and regain the professional edition license?

33. Graham-Dunnett

Graham-Dunnett

Administrator

I don't know. I know we are having a growing list of Korean customers requesting refunds. PM me your serial and invoice number if you want me to look up your specific case.

34. Zaquard

Zaquard

Thanks a ot Graham. Urm, I just contacted to Unity Korea, and they said they will handle this case with their HQ. I think I should wait.

Again, thanks for your help. The mother of dragons too.

Aurore likes this.
  35. tweedie

tweedie

I emailed Studica UK again, linking to this thread, for a second time requesting a refund. In response, I got:
    So perhaps Studica aren't aware that they are supposed to be communicating with Unity to sort out refunds, which is the impression I got from a few posts in this thread. After that I got a rather lengthy, and perhaps accidentally but still patronising, question about why I want to get a refund anyway - as if I hadn't thought that through, eh? :)
    All sorts of reasons were listed and I even got a nice MS Paint annotated picture of the features list lol:

Anyway, jokes aside, the point is Studica UK are still dodging refunds. Why would he ask why I want to be refunded and tell me that I won't be eligible for a discounted version after I graduate, if Studica are 100% closed to refunds anyway? Seems like unnecessary information if that is the case. All that aside, thanks very much to you Unity staff trying to get all this sorted out, it's very much appreciated :)

Last edited: Mar 23, 2015
    Baroni and Stormbreaker like this.
  36. Graham-Dunnett

Graham-Dunnett

Administrator

Studica provide reduced price software to students. So, to them, a student deciding to get a refund is a bit, well, strange. To them, not wanting a professional version of the software, in exchange for a reduced-feature version doesn't make sense. (I'm not going to discuss this, since it's not my thinking.)

I have communicated with Studica just now, and think refunds will start to happen. There isn't much more I can do about this, if I am honest.

37. ibyte

ibyte

Hi Graham, I pre-ordered both Unity base Pro and Unity iPhone Pro last August. At the end of the day I want to end up with a new serial number for Unity Base Pro only and a refund for $600 for iPhone Pro. How can I make this happen as the web form is not working for me.

Thanks

38. Aurore

Aurore

It still stands that we can only refund everything or nothing, the intention is to refund those who have bought Pro and fall under the 100K bracket.

Have you tried a different browser to upload the form or you can e-mail support as a last resort.

39. ibyte

ibyte

First off let me say I am pretty upset about this policy and would like you to put me in contact with whomever in Unity made this decision.

I would also like to ask again, what will be the financial impact to me as I want to end up with a Pro license after the dust settles on a full refund.

40. 6510CPU

6510CPU

I upgraded from Unity 4 pro + Unity iOS 4 Pro to Unity 5 pro + Unity iOS 5 Pro last November, I have purchased the Pro versions since Version 2.

I think Unity is great, even when I paid $3000, I still think its great, however.

I requested a refund for the upgrade fee but was declined because it was an upgrade and told if I had purchased a full license without upgrade I would be eligible.

Any clarification would be very welcome

EDIT: 25/03/2015

THIS WAS JUST AN ERROR WITH UNITY PROCESSING THE REQUEST

REMOVED MY RANT AT UNITY

Last edited: Mar 25, 2015
  41. ibyte

ibyte

I am in the same boat as you except I wish to keep my Base Pro license as I still want to use some of the new Pro features.

Someone upstairs need a definite "rethink" on this policy.

42. tweedie

tweedie

Thanks very much Graham, it's appreciated. I realise there's only so much Unity can do, the rest is up to Studica :)

43. Aurore

Aurore

It depends on your situation, did you take advantage of the upgrade pre-order offer? Again, it's still a complete refund or not based on our licensing system and to benefit those who fall under our EULA annual income bracket.

If you upgraded both licenses for $600 (the special pre-order price) each making a total of $1200 and got all of it refunded, you're free to do with that money what you wish. You can upgrade your 4 Pro license for $750 or not and just stick with personal, it's up to you.

I think you're confused or the message you were told was confused, you can't get a refund on just your add-ons but you can get a refund on everything, Pro + add-ons.

44. ibyte

ibyte

yes. As mentioned earlier I stated I took advantage of Unity's upgrade pre-order offer last August.

Would you consider taking your Unity hat off for a minute and please put yourself in my shoes?

Scenario A) Road not taken ... Had I preorderd an upgrade for only Unity 5 Base and not iOS. I would be fine now, Unity's "lets give away the candy store" would have no impact to me and I would not have given Unity a $600 loan for 8 months.

Scenario B) Road taken ... Working on the assumption things would be status quo as years gone by and I would need to pay for Pro for both licenses,

now I have to

1) Take a hit on the currency exchange for a refund
    2) Pay $150 more for the upgrade now
    3) Take a hit on the currency exchange on a new upgrade

I made a decision based on the information I had on hand at the time and now I am paying a penalty for that? Why?

I don't even really want a refund, all I wanted was an asset store credit which would be putting some money right back into Unity's pocket ...

As 6 year Unity customer ... I am starting to wonder if Unity is finally getting too large and bureaucratic for it's own good?

Last edited: Mar 25, 2015
  45. 6510CPU

6510CPU

Thanks for the reply Aurore

If I understand your reply correctly you say I Should get the FULL refund for the UPGRADE from Unity 4 Pro + Unity 4 iOS Pro ?

So to clarify my situation.

I bought Unity 3 Pro + Unity 3 iOS Pro Full license price in 2010.
    Upgraded both to Unity 4
    Upgraded Both Again to Unity 5 in November 2014. $600 each + $300 VAT ( Love that VAT) Total Upgrade $1500

Submitted online refund form today, attaching PDF of invoice for Unity 4 Pro + Unity 4 iOS Pro upgrade.

This is the response

"You recently submitted a Unity 5 Pro Perpetual License refund request via unity3d.com.

We have processed your request, and regret to inform you that you do not qualify for a refund. Your request was declined on the following grounds:

We are not refunding upgrades. Only Unity 5 pro licenses bought outright in the Unity 5 pre order period.

For further information, we refer you to our FAQ:

http://unity3d.com/unity/faq

All the best,

The Unity Team
    "

Which is correct?

If you are, what can I do next.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

46. Fuzzy

Fuzzy

I wrote to the support late on march 13 via the link that Graham had posted a while back.
    Got an automated response with a case number, but nothing else. Also nothing from the sales inquiry I sent a while before I used that link.
    That's like ~7 business days for this one. Is it currently taking that long, or is something wrong?

47. YX_Iain

YX_Iain

Since this thread has the attention of the Unity staff, I was wondering why (given that Unity 5 Personal can be installed on as many computers as you want in your household) that the Student Edition of Unity 5 Pro is limited to just the one activation? I can say that if this were raised to two then I will gladly keep my Pro license, rather than seek a refund on it.

Will you guys be increasing the activation limit to match that of the standard Pro license? And if not, why?

48. Baroni

Baroni

@Fuzzy

49. Aurore

Aurore

Really sorry about that, your refund request was processed incorrectly and you should be able to get a refund on an upgrade. Try resubmitting the form, if that doesn't work let me know, I have your details and I can pass it on to support.

Don't get me wrong, I do understand your position, I'm simply presenting your options and results of what would happen. The only thing I can do is pass this on to those in charge and let them know of you complaints, which I have already done.

I've found a case from the 13th of March, 00175378? Looks like it was stalled waiting for a response from another team. I've passed it on, hopefully you should get a response soon.

An additional note about Studica refunds, for those of you who have experienced some difficulty with your requests. Being a different company than us, they have their own refund policy and handle things differently so there isn't much we can do about what they decide to do. However we are in contact with them and I think we are now aligned.

50. 6510CPU

6510CPU

Thanks Aurore for response.

I have resubmitted the form with the following additional info.

'Form resubmitted as per instructions from Aurore (Community Mother of Dragons) on Unity 3D forum
    'GENERAL REFUNDS THREAD' page 5.

I would like a refund for the UPGRADE FEE from Unity 4 Pro and Unity 4 iOS Pro to Unity 5 Pro and Unity 5 iOS Pro. ($1500) See attached invoice for details.

As previously stated I am a hobbyist with no commercial business or employer, and have made no money from Unity in any way.

Thank You.'

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.