Search Unity

General Questions

Discussion in 'Editor & General Support' started by Konlet, Aug 10, 2019.

1. Konlet

Konlet

Hi, I'm a Javascript Developer trying to get a grip on Unity. I'm familiar with CS and would like to avoid all of the non-programmer systems that Unity has to offer, however the tutorials often are focused on them. I have a few questions, and if anyone could answer them, I would be very gracious! To specify, I'm developing a 2D game.

1. Is there a way to utilize the 'Animator' system solely through CS?
    2. Is there a way to define objects/prefabs aside from the 'Create New Prefab' system? Preferably through code.

I am having a difficult time working outside of code, it's destabilizing my workflow. Any articles or information regarding this sort of stuff would be greatly appreciated. Thanks for reading.

2. In theory, you can find everything you need in code in some form. But It really would hinder your productivity. And I mean it.
    I think it does not worth to go full code in Unity. You can code for hours just for do things what in the Editor you can do a couple of clicks and then let Unity to start up when it's appropriate (like animator state machines for example).
    Just learn how to do it, it worth the time.

3. Konlet

Konlet

I understand how to do these things, however it is very unappealing for me as a programmer. I don't understand why the engine wouldn't allow me to just define an object and its variables through text, but instead forces me to use a profiling system that contains tons of information that doesn't pertain to what I need.

4. Among other things one very important thing is that Unity is serializing, and saving all of your work on disk and when your game is starting up it isn't going through a very lengthy initialization process, it's just loaded from disk and deserialized and it's ready to go.
    So your initialization in code can be more faster and the user isn't sitting in the front of your game and watching the loading text on the screen longer than it's needed.

At least a lot of things are working this way.