Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

General guidance for noob dev - working on a two plane level

Discussion in 'Scripting' started by Gojiragh, Jul 25, 2021.

1. Gojiragh

Gojiragh

Hey everyone,

Apologies for lack of etiquette, this is my first Unity forum post :) Lovely to be part of the community.

I'm a brand new dev, I've been learning Unity and C# for a few months and I'm now working on my very first game. In short and sweet, it will be a 2d top down where you control a rabbit that surfaces to find food, whilst avoiding dangers and returns to his burrow to rest.

Burrowing and the rabbits sense of where the dangers are thanks to it's hearing will be a key part of the gameplay loop. I want locational information between the ground level and underground to be completely synced, as the rabbit will burrow up (and down) to the surface equivalent space. I also want to have cues for the location of the enemy fox so the rabbit can hear roughly where the fox is when in the burrowed state.

I thought about building the two layers in the same scene, so burrowing (technically teleporting) would transport the player object 10000 or -10000 on the Y axis depending on which space the player is in. This would then allow me to offset a locational clue relevant to the location of the enemies on the ground so the player could strategically dig. Does this sound like a good idea?

If there are some alternative methods I should learn about pls, pls let me know, I'm not necessarily looking for the right answers and I want to make mistakes like this but I'm really keen to engage whilst I learn.

Thanks so much!

2. TheFunnySide

TheFunnySide

If you dont want to teleport then you still have the option that both layers overlap. You can just make things invisible while you are underground... Collision can also be done in layers

Gojiragh likes this.
  3. gjaccieczo

gjaccieczo

Off-topic but i'd like to say that your idea sounds very awesome. If you make it for mobile and properly monetize it (no p2w and maybe have some non-intrusive ads that don't break the gameplay (e.g a banner)) then you might be on to something. That's the quickest route but a more proficient one would be releasing it on Switch as your concept fits the tastes of their audience.

Regardless of what you decide to go with, best of luck with your project from a fellow newbie :)

Gojiragh likes this.
  4. Gojiragh

Gojiragh

I did think about this so I'm glad I had a good instinct on that! Potentially digging upwards and then revealing the ground plane but I'm wary not to let myself get too carried away with an early build. I've already been preparing V2 notes so I'll absolutely keep this in mind.

Thank you so much!

5. Gojiragh

Gojiragh

This has made my day, thanks so very much.

I have a much more fleshed out idea than this brief that isn't TOO unachievable but will take me a couple of years for sure as I'm still learning. I'm really excited to develop around this longer term project as one day I can definitely imagine it on Switch for sure.

Lots of love back to you fellow newbie, hope you're enjoying whatever you'll be working on. :)

gjaccieczo likes this.
  6. gjaccieczo

gjaccieczo

Glad it did, thank you very much, i sure do!