Search Unity

General feedback & other software.

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Aurore, Aug 14, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Teo

Teo

Unity can do such thing.

Look again at that video, 99% of what you see come from good assets, nice 3d models, and especially textures.

HemiMG likes this.
  2. NathanHold

NathanHold

I don't think Unity should focus on that unless they start developing large scale AAA games themselves like Epic Games which is entirely possible but they aren't doing that right now (I hope they do it in the future, a game engine company that doesn't use their game engine to make games will lose touch eventually IMO). It would be nice but Cubes and Cylinders are perfect place-holder assets until you develop your own AAA assets for your game.

Hence the power of modular code is revealed!

darkhog and S-0-L-0 like this.
  3. Adam-Sowinski

Adam-Sowinski

EDIT:
    Link to pirated Stingray removed.

LOL

Last edited: Aug 19, 2015
  4. SunnySunshine

SunnySunshine

Hardly appropriate place to be spreading pirated software.

Adam-Sowinski and HemiMG like this.
  5. Adam-Sowinski

Adam-Sowinski

Yes, your right. I was having mixed feelings publishing this. It's just so funny that Autodesk website is still silent and pirates are already providing cracked app.

6. Adam-Sowinski

Adam-Sowinski

7. Teo

Teo

Looks like is out now, 35 Euro per month.

Haha and on Autodesk Euro store with VAT is 43,05 € per month.

8. stormwiz

stormwiz

I did not see a student version option. Could someone pm the link to the free or student version.
    Thanks

9. SunnySunshine

SunnySunshine

10. Acissathar

Acissathar

I understand I'm just a simple man, but while checking out the Paradox Engine last night I realized it has a really cool 'feature' I wish Unity had. Paradox lets me modify my tab width to any size I wish, while (stock) Unity doesn't let me and seems to keep them at a minimum the length of the longest item name. I do like seeing my project hierarchy, but sometimes I want to shrink it, while sometimes I want to increase the size of the animator tab without undocking it.

11. stormwiz

stormwiz

12. SunnySunshine

SunnySunshine

13. SunnySunshine

SunnySunshine

I think it's pretty neat so far, but it suffers from the same annoying issue that I exprienced with UE4 as well:

An empty scene does not equal an empty scene. There's a ton of stuff happening anyway when you run it.

14. stormwiz

stormwiz

So far it feels like a lightweight version of UE4. This is how I pictured Unity would of look by now. If I was at the helm I would get my whip or fire the lazy bums. Unity has over 50 programmers at least. You would think they could get here quick by now. You can't please everybody, please don't go down the 3d max road.

darkhog likes this.
  15. 3agle

3agle

Not this again...
    Please, if it's not constructive, please stop posting. This thread is for things you want to see/not see in Unity.
    Saying "Unity need to get to work", helps no-one.
    What, exactly, do you like about it that Unity doesn't do?

tedthebug, ZJP and HemiMG like this.
  16. Ryiah

Ryiah

Just remember that your forum account is the same as your asset store account. If you are banned for linking pirated software on the forums, you'll lose access to the asset store and any assets you've purchased.

If you still have mixed feelings about it, just remember that and they'll go away. :p

Adam-Sowinski likes this.
  17. Teo

Teo

Where??? You said nothing about that, what they shall do first??

18. stormwiz

stormwiz

I was talking about being in par with modern times. If Unity wants to stay with this look and workflow, it does not matter to me. I can either adapt to it or find something more intuitive for making games.
    All I'm saying is I think Unity with all those programmers and artist if they wanted they could make their UI much more nicer. They have other engines and tools like maya to base their version of a nice ui redesign. This also goes for having a real visual scripting editor a material node editor and a system for incorporating ai does is not just pathfinding.
    I just want to see Unity move up and evolve like other unreal, bitsquid engine(Stingray), etc. Otherwise if this keeps up, it wont be long before even old timers would start to realize and second guessing their engine.

19. Teo

Teo

@stormwiz

Eh what??? Since when is Stingray an advanced game engine?? What actually is so cool about, because I can't find really something impressive.

20. Deleted User

Deleted User

Hmmm, turns out there was some miss-information on the interwibbles.. You get Maya LT bundled with Stingray, but not the other way around and the Maya LT sub is more expensive???

I checked my account this morning, nothing there.. I'm not really that interested in trying it out tbh, ahh well!. Might download the trial and look about, but that's a little silly.

21. Ryiah

Ryiah

I was under the impression it wasn't going to be available to Maya LT subscribers right away. I'm grabbing the trial myself but only because I don't have any subscriptions with Autodesk.

22. Adam-Sowinski

Adam-Sowinski

Maya LT monthly subscription costs the same as Stingray one. The only difference is that Maya LT yearly subscription is a little bit cheaper than Stingray's equivalent. This is true for UK market.

23. S-0-L-0

S-0-L-0

Maya LT users with an active Maintenance Subscription contract or Maya LT Desktop Subscription can install and run Stingray as a part of their Maya LT subscriptions, using their Maya LT license.

http://help.autodesk.com/view/Stingray/ENU/?guid=GUID-3AB5B422-A6F5-47E2-A4B3-513CA18D7FD9

Teila likes this.
  24. Deleted User

Deleted User

Including VAT the Maya one for me worked out slightly more expensive, not much in it though.

@S.0.L.0. Thanks for that I'll check it out.

S-0-L-0 likes this.
  25. stormwiz

stormwiz

@Teo
    Not saying is more advanced than Unity at this time. ONlY better looking and in par with today's ui standard. Fl Studio, Maya, Unreal, etc.
    This engine is only version 1.0 and so far has a good foundation with many of the advance engine. Visual scripting, material editor and easy entry scripting with Lua. Is too early to tell right now the depth of this engine. I am going over the manual and trying things out. Looks very promising.

Adam-Sowinski likes this.
  26. Teo

Teo

Yeah sure, except is really disappointing what can do now. And is double priced for EU, rofl.

27. stormwiz

stormwiz

Hi Teo,
    I don't know exactly the depths of this Engine, but I do know it was good enough to create a few nice looking games so far.
    The interface is very simple, not clutter and easy to navigate.
    You can click the + button to open tabs, like the developer tabs which includes Windows, Android, PS4, EBox1 and IOS.
    Linking between cameras, updating models with maya or max is a breath of fresh air and very enjoying.
    I don't know Lua, but from what I've read is not a complicated language to pick up.

Looking forward to seeing some impressive demos soon.

Edit:
    Yeah is double the price when UE is free, but to have maya + Stingray for $30 is a joke and you gotta to a jackass not to see that. If you make a game with Stingray and it took you 3 months to make, then $90 for an android game that could pay you at minimum of $4500 a year is not a bad investment.

28. darkhog

darkhog

@Andy Touch Would you mind replying to this? These things are IMHO missing from Unity, maybe except second-to-last one ;).

29. Teo

Teo

@stormwiz ,

Stingray is a new engine, and in time will shape. So far, from what I've expected, there is nothing here. Also, may be $30 in USA, is 43,05 € in Europe (amazing).

So for me, is not a better engine, just another engine. I am not talking as you do, about menus navigation and how new is the interface lol, I am talking about engine itself.

Also, is UNCLEAR with what tools Stingray comes. Wwise license is 1k I think alone.

PS. Your computation about games sales is naive.

30. Archania

Archania

Just check out the main website for stingray at http://stingrayengine.com
    Scroll down and you get a nice thing stating what stingray includes. Says right there... beast, humanik, scaleform, physx, navigation, and wwise.
    Please search before posting things like wwise cost 1k cause you think it. Starts the rumor mill and gets people all worked up.

31. stormwiz

stormwiz

"PS. Your computation about games sales is naive."

I'm still learning the business, but if you would like to expand on that commend, I'll be happy to take notes.
    Even if it was simple which is not unless you're comparing it to Unreal for example. You could make really nice games as is. I don't know how complex you need it to be to make games. Unless we're talking about huge games. Anyway is a very capable game engine and we're just gonna have to sit back and what the demos come in.

Unless you have fully tested the engine which from your post don't even know what it includes I say go back and read a little more about the engine and its history before posting trash.

32. Teo

Teo

Wwise License Level A Level B Level C
    First Platform $750 $6,000 $15,000*
    Extra Platforms (each) $750 $3,000 $10,000
    Free for 200 media assets, with registration.

https://www.audiokinetic.com/licensing/pricing/

There is no word on Stingray help site about Wwise license, if the license is included or not, and for what tier.

You really think you can use the $25,000 license with $30 per month?

See you next time.

S-0-L-0 likes this.
  33. Teo

Teo

I don't compare it with Unreal, either Unity, and both of them looks better and have proven games behind.

I am comparing Stingray with Cryengine and Frosbite, because I have expectation from a zillion dollar company, who set the standards in 3D for years, to come with a TOP product.

34. stormwiz

stormwiz

I think if you use Stingray then all those technologies are bundle, end of story.
    If you are mainstream and want to license the various tools then you are welcome to develop your own engine, etc.
    That is the general consensus, no need to complicate things further.

35. stormwiz

stormwiz

Yes, and you think for one second Autodesk is going to stop here. They have spoken before about their intentions for this engine. It will far surpass gaming. The engine is multipurpose. Meaning for film, visualization, previz, vr, etc.
    This is not a toy they bringing out. They been around for a very long time and believe me they are playing for keeps.

Is like Autodesk took a step back watch what everyone was doing and cooked up a nice contender. I don't care for Cryengine or Frostbite. One is a big complicated black box and the other is untouchable to the public.

36. Archania

Archania

Think again. Unity doesn't charge you extra for all the middleware. But it uses it.
    So do you honestly think Autodesk is going to turn around and charge you extra for using parts of it? And you are dealing with Autodesk not audiokinetic. And when you click on buy, it doesn't come up with a part stating to license wwise.
    Please look at websites and get information.
    Think again.

Attached Files:

37. 00christian00

00christian00

The more I read this thread the more it seem to me is that people just expect the engine to fill the gap between poor skills to AAA, regardless of their level :D

I didn't see anything that isn't feasible with Unity5 in these demos nor hard to do and more importantly even if they were surely worth of praise nothing really even remotely on par with the current AAA, maybe some generation ago.
    The only thing that may be a pain is maybe enlighten, that from what I read(I don't use it, so no idea) is painfully slow and can slow development.

Plus all of these seem to be just demo, and we have no way of knowing how they will run on the average hardware.
    There is a reason, demo and trailers of AAA games are often much better than the final game, because everybody can do some demo with tons of eye candy that require the latest tech just to run at decent fps, much different is to make it fluid on most hardware.

GarBenjamin and HemiMG like this.
  38. Deleted User

Deleted User

Ok had a quick mess around with Stingray..

In short it's exactly what I thought it'd be the cross genetic mutation of Unreal and Unity, which is great thing and a not so great thing..

Firstly: Out of the box it has better tools than Unity, Scaleform studio UI system pretty much packs SC into a neat easy to use interface. It has some advanced dynamic navigation systems via Autodesks Navigation lab, the scripting is pretty much like a component based system "local unit_link = UnitLink.manager:get(player_camera)" for example, whilst it's different it's not THAT different. It has Wwise and Beast as said before integrated.. Material editor does what it says on the tin so cool..

It also has the creative marketplace..

It uses an Unreal style level based visual node system for overarching systems, it does have a matinee (cutscene) style editor via the story option. Terrain is pretty cool, it supports a spline system (not really looked too much into it yet)..

You can preview post in scene view which is cool, my first impression (bar a few bugs) is I like it.. Nothing wrong with it, but that's where IMO lays the issue.

It nowhere near packs the raw grunt in tools and rendering power as Unreal 4 does, but then again it's FAR easier to use although that also makes it less flexible as a binary only release.

Chances are in Unity, you're going to have implemented something like RAIN AI and got shaderforge etc. plus built up a workflow and bought visual upgrades.. So all of this is going to become a little redundant, plus once Enlighten is actually sorted out properly, you will have a proper semi-realtime GI solution.

From my initial impressions, if you're starting a new project or Unity doesn't cut it for you but Unreal seems like it's going to be too much to handle. I'd recommend taking a look, but for me personally.. It'd take something like what CryEngine could of been to ever tempt me away from UE4.

Again, it's pretty darn sweet and I like it.. But I just don't feel the OMG need to switch now t'is amazing.!

Screen.jpg

Nav.png

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 19, 2015
  39. Teo

Teo

Cryengine is using by default Wwise, but does not give you any kind of Wwise license. They also offer an alternative to SDL mixer. They said several times, Wwise license is your problem.

Maybe because they don't license you Wwise and you must buy it separately.

40. Archania

Archania

Teo I'm not arguing with you about this. I read the site says it is included with it. That's it.
    If it was extra it would have been noted.
    Believe what you will and spread whatever you want. I have better things to do.
    Nice write up shadow!

41. darkhog

darkhog

When Unity will get rid of this stupid annoyance that happens when duplicating objects in the Editor since 5.0? I'm of course talking about adding (number) to the name of the object.

42. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape

They won't. http://forum.unity3d.com/threads/ho...adding-them-to-the-scene.299644/#post-1976581

But you can prevent it happening by intercepting the duplicate action (just google around) or by selecting all your duplicated objects and renaming them in one go. Easy.

Don't derail the topic further as this was a question suited to it's own topic.

zombiegorilla likes this.
  43. Teila

Teila

Thanks, Shadow! Stingray looks great! As a Maya user it looks familiar and that is comforting, also not so different from Unity that it is scary. Maybe our next game. :) My fingers are itching to try it.

Deleted User likes this.
  44. S-0-L-0

S-0-L-0

@Teo

You don't have to use Wwise with your project.

45. S-0-L-0

S-0-L-0

It seems you should purchase a licence if you are planning to sell your project.

46. Archania

Archania

Just wondering here. Link to this?
    Want to make sure that everyone is on the same page and not pulling false info. If so then I overlooked it and want to be corrected with correct info.

47. Daydreamer66

Daydreamer66

I thought I'd do some careful digging just to help put this one to bed. I found the following on Mike Drummelsmith's Twitter feed:

"Just in case it's not clear from Stingray announcement. If you use @autodesk Stingray, you get #Wwise core license free!"

He works at Audiokinetic, and here's the link to his page:

https://twitter.com/AKMikeD

You may now resume your regular programming.

48. Deleted User

Deleted User

No problem :)

I tried the live link system on my mobile, pretty sweet :D..! I obviously haven't looked deep into every component, but to me it seems like it's what Unity should be out the box for 3D games. Very impressive for an out the gate release, usually it takes a couple of years for it to be even worth looking at..!

Still if you can tame Unreal (which isn't easy), then it's a no brainer..

antislash, Moonjump and Teila like this.
  49. Teila

Teila

Unreal is overkill for us. It won't run on the computers that will be common among our target audience for our current game. We tried it and it worked well on only one of our computers, and not so well on another, and not at all on the others. Nice I am sure but we will save it for another game. :)

Also, we are too invested in Unity at this time. I like Unity...and hope that some improvements can be made.

3agle, aer0ace and Deleted User like this.
  50. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape

Having a sniff at 5.2 and 5.3 yields interesting things to come. In particular I'm excited about multi-scene editing, Culling Groups, Speedtree performance gains and overall performance boosts.

Generally, I'm mr. performance. If its faster, I'm happy since I can do more.

ZJP, Ryiah and Teila like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.