Search Unity

General doubt(sorry for the stupid question)

Discussion in '2D' started by Layilpaht_Kehsihba, Sep 12, 2019.

1. Layilpaht_Kehsihba

Layilpaht_Kehsihba

Hi
    My name is Abhishek Thapliyal and I am just new to the forum. So if I did something stupid then please excuse me
    I want to develop a 2d game(And although it will be a big project for me but still I don't think that I will use sophisticated features of unity. Just basic features)But I am having few doubts:-
    1.) I am fluent in c++, python and java. How much time will it take me to learn c# for unity?
    2.) what is the learning curve of unity(I have heard that there are so many options that one will simply faint away)
    3.) how much time will it take me to grasp concepts of 2d game making in unity(not 3d)

Actually I have previously used construct 3,godot engine for game development. Godot is good for 2d but problem with godot is that it can't adapt to the recent changes in the industry (eg apple dropped opengl support and they (godot) are now focusing on moltenvk. Who knows that in future something goes wrong with moltenvk. And team is very small). This 2d game project is so much special for me that I have devoted almost 6 months for its planning(besides my studies) . And I don't want that after almost completing the game, something breaks in godot and I have to simply wait for the bright day. And this project is very very special for me. And last but not the least, I want to develop game, not the engine

Regarding learning curve, the problem is that I don't have that much patience to invest in game engine learning. (actually I am a electronics student and I have too much syllabus. And already I have burned a good amount of time in research and other engines). In short, I want to complete the game as quick as possible. But the answers to this thread will surely decide my future

Also does anyone have any idea that what will one year of unity plus cost in India? (in rupees, totalling all taxes)

2. Cornysam

Cornysam

For your first 3 doubts:
    1. It won't take you long at all to learn C# if you know the others you mentioned.
    2. It took me about 2-3 months to really understand Unity (still learning of course) and I had never learned a programming language or made games before. Most of the struggles came with learning to code and learning a new software, so it will probably take you way less to really grasp it.
    3. Not long at all. Unity makes it pretty easy to create 2D games, easier than 3D in my opinion.

I would watch a few tutorials on how to make a few small games and they will show you the basics of animations, colliders, how the components work and how to call components into your scripts. You will pick it up pretty quickly. Since you want to create your game as quickly as possible, you should definitely do your research, but once you pick an engine, stick with it. Also, don't make it level by level adding things as you go. That will naturally happen, but if you have everything planned out, use that to your advantage. For instance, I am making a 2D mobile platformer for fun, but wanted to take it seriously and do plan on releasing it just to get something out there. After i created the idea on paper, I then designed every level on paper, wrote out all of the enemies/obstacles and events. Then, I programmed every enemy/obstacle/event individually and created prefabs (you'll learn about those quickly) so i could reuse them very easily. From there, I had everything very modular and could just plug all of the obstacles/enemies/platforms into Unity scenes very quickly. Now, I am working on the iteration and perfecting each level. I am going back through every level, making sure it looks good, feels good, is beatable, etc.

As for Plus, no idea, I use personal right now.

Layilpaht_Kehsihba likes this.