Search Unity

General Confusion about Playstation 4 Development

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by lastprogrammer, Oct 18, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. lastprogrammer

lastprogrammer

So, I had thought that PS4 was friendly to indie developers, but now that I research it, I'm finding that I have to purchase a development kit that can cost anywhere between $2500 to $10000.

Is this actually true?

I thought that I would be able to buy a PS4 and start compiling my games and loading it on the console, just like I would with iOS or Android.

Any insight to this would be appreciated.

2. Ostwind

Ostwind

I don't think it's allowed to talk about that subject here since its NDA stuff. Note that indies and hobbyists are not the same thing.

Yukihirotkyo and Kiwasi like this.
  3. lastprogrammer

lastprogrammer

So the only way to get any of this information is to apply as a developer on their website and then get hit with a surprise bill?

Also, I heard that Microsoft is going to allow developers to make games using the xbox one console. Since windows 10 will be used for all their platforms all I would have to do is compile on my computer then it should work for all their platforms. That seems more friendly to hobbyists and indies.

Thanks for your response.

4. Aiursrage2k

Aiursrage2k

I googled it and it said that they were giving away free kits to developers like "candy", but thats from 2013.

http://www.polygon.com/2013/7/24/4553842/so-how-much-does-it-cost-to-develop-for-playstation-4

5. zombiegorilla

zombiegorilla

Rather than making assumptions or relying on what you 'heard' or thought, or asking what others have heard or think, just go to the source.

https://www.playstation.com/en-us/develop/
    http://www.xbox.com/en-US/developers

They explain it there and provide contact details for more information. Filling out a form does not commit you paying anything. No one here or anywhere can give you better or more accurate information than Sony or Microsoft themselves.

6. lastprogrammer

lastprogrammer

I did go there and read the forms. I need several things that cost money before I can even apply.
    • Proof of Corporate Entity
    • Obtain an Employer Tax ID Number (see www.irs.gov) (Recommended)
    • Static IP to access Developer Support Systems

These all cost significant cash to my hobbyist/indie budget. So I am contributing a lot of money to something before I even get to apply, then there are hidden costs at the end that aren't even known to me; which is what I was asking if anybody knew. But the NDA disallows any developer talking about it. So I'm out of luck with that too.

All I can surmise is that this is all out of reach for someone like me. OUYA isn't powerful enough of a console for all the graphics that I like playing with. So the only option I have left is Steam.

Those steam machines will do just fine.

Thanks everyone for responding!

7. Dennis_eA

Dennis_eA

Perhaps Sony does not want people creating stuff for PS4 with "hobbyist/indie budget" (I don't want to insult you really).

I don't know anything about deploying / publishing on consoles, but this does sound fairly cheap, let's say for an *independent* game studio, serious about making games, 3-4 titles released so far, perhaps a team of at least 3 people (just a picture from my mind, example!). And perhaps this is their 'low bar' they have in mind to keep their system accessible enough for such developers but also ensure quality.

Yukihirotkyo and zombiegorilla like this.
  8. zombiegorilla

zombiegorilla

There are no hidden costs. Sony will let you know exactly what is involved cost wise if you contact them. The reason folks are under nda regarding fees is because they vary depending on the developer. The email contact is on that page, just email them for a ballpark cost before you fill out the form.

The business costs are far from 'significant'. Should be under $100 (depending on where you live). The same requirements to publish on the App Store. A static ip is only few dollars a month.

You are correct though, platform publishing is not at all intended for hobbyists. But it is not overly expensive for a serious indie.

theANMATOR2b likes this.
  9. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape

As pointed out, there are no surprise bills. Contact Sony for more information please. I am a PS4 developer as well and I have only had excellent experiences. There's nothing clandestine here.

Please contact Sony for more information.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.