Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

General Advice - Format for Hex Input to Unity in 'Real Time'

Discussion in 'Scripting' started by tcmeric, Apr 14, 2020.

1. tcmeric

tcmeric

Hi, unity dev for several years. Looking for some advice or feedback.

I am working on a project that exports hex in 'real time'. I need unity to import said hex stream and parse it.

In the past I have worked with various DB, json, XML, SO, text files, etc. However, in this case, I am not sure what would be the fastest method for bringing in the data from the first application (which will be constantly updating). The first program is written in C++. The method of export/ import has yet to be decided.

Reading a text file 10 - 15 FPS doesn't seem like the best method.

Both applications will be running on windows 10 locally.

What is the quickest/least garbage creating method for importing data that is constantly being updated?

Thanks, everyone!

2. lordofduct

lordofduct

By hex do you mean binary data?

I would assume the fastest would be directly accessing the same memory location. May that be in C#/mono/.net you allocate an array (or other chunk of memory) and tell your C++ lib to stream the data into it... or vice versa.

But I'm not sure where you're C++ program is running, or how it is running. In which case multiple other methods could come into play.

tcmeric likes this.
  3. StarManta

StarManta

I've had very good results with this:
    Code (csharp):
    2.             Directory.CreateDirectory(filePath.Substring(0, filePath.LastIndexOfAny(new char[] { '\\', '/' })));
    3.             FileStream stream = File.Create(filePath);
    4.             var formatter = new BinaryFormatter();
    5.             formatter.Serialize(stream, this);
    6.             stream.Close();
    Presuming of course that this code is run on a serializable object. I used this to basically save meshes to disk via an intermediate class for later loading and it's incredibly fast and efficient. The intermediate class can be used in a thread as well (unlike anything derived from a Unity class) so running code like this in the background shouldn't affect your framerate at all.

tcmeric likes this.
  4. tcmeric

tcmeric

Sorry, yes binary data from an emulator (was looking at in a hex editor).

5. tcmeric

tcmeric

I guess to adjust the question, can an external program call a function directly to a built unity game, or does unity need to constantly be checking an external file/ stream?

6. lordofduct

lordofduct

Native code interop is perfectly possible. Heck, it's how Unity and the .net runtime (mono) communicate. Most of Unity is actually a C++ program, then the scripting runtime is mono/.net (or C# compiled via il2cpp) running side by side with one another. Things like GameObject are really managed object wrappers around internal C++ objects. This is why you have to call 'Destroy' and you have the whole == null override for unity objects.

Unity has built in support for what they call "native plug-ins". Here is some documentation:
    https://docs.unity3d.com/Manual/NativePlugins.html

Of course this mostly covers the calling a native plug-in. Getting a callback can occur in multiple ways. For example if you create a delegate you can get a function pointer to pass to the native plug-in which the C++ program can then call to send messages back. How you get that funciton pointer is Marshal.GetFunctionPointerForDelegate:
    https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/do...ctedfrom=MSDN&view=netframework-4.8#overloads

That Marshal class has a LOT of what you'll need for well... marshalling data/objects between your .net code and your native plug-in.

Here is a more in depth about doing the delegate funciton pointer stuff.
    https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/cp...d-delegates-by-using-cpp-interop?view=vs-2019

You may want to pay attention to the "pinning" part/link if it's going to be a long living pointer for repeated callbacks. Pinning function pointer will keep the .net memory manager from moving the delegate around in memory invalidating the pointer.

tcmeric likes this.