Search Unity

Gender Filtering

Discussion in 'Localization Tools' started by Ferazel, Dec 19, 2018.

1. Ferazel

Ferazel

Having helped write our localization system I am looking at this feature with much interest. This looks like a great start! I have only skimmed the docs so let me know if I am missing something. It is understandable that localization can not be perfect outside of the language it was developed.

One thing that really seemed interesting to me is the concept of plurality and how the string table can have multiple entries and pick the appropriate entry for the use case.

Having learned some German myself, gender of nouns is also really important especially as it relates to adjectives and cases. Is there also a plan to support strings that can support custom filter/meta data mechanics for specific languages/cultures like noun gender? This also happens in English with gendered pronouns, but I would love to have the flexibility to add other filter criteria for the languages that need it.

Thanks!

2. karl_jones

karl_jones

Unity Technologies

Hmm interesting idea. I'll put it down for us to investigate.

3. Yeah, great idea, having variants under the same key based on arbitrary values would be great. It can be used not just for the sake of gender but for other purposes as well. But I wouldn't go down to word-level for this, I would stay at the one sentence as a block level because we have too many languages with different logic and to support all, we need a one-stop-shop. For example in my native tongue (Hungarian) we completely dropped the gender idea a long time ago, alongside with the 'present perfect' nonsense. In exchange we speak differently if we're talking with strangers or with known people (more formal versus more direct). Having those variants under the same logical umbrella helps a lot.

karl_jones likes this.