Search Unity

1. Unity 2020.1 has been released.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Good news ✨ We have more Unite Now videos available for you to watch on-demand! Come check them out and ask our experts any questions!
    Dismiss Notice

GeNa - Sophisticated procedural content spawner

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by AdamGoodrich, Oct 22, 2016.

1. antoripa

antoripa

As newbie, you need to start with Gaia. You can create your full landscape from terrain shape to spawn objects ( texture, grass, tree, etc). It is an amazing experience. With GeNa you can do more sophisticated spanner than those you can do with the spawner included in Gaia. I would consider GeNa an advanced spawner for terrain maker.

Last edited: Nov 6, 2016
    Mark_01, AdamGoodrich and TeagansDad like this.
  2. antoripa

antoripa

Ideally yes. You can use GeNa in run time. and even with multi tiles.

pixelsteam and AdamGoodrich like this.
  3. Zaki_X

Zaki_X

I bought Gaia yesterday after watching Adam's videos for a few days (over and over again :)). I haven't tried it yet though. After checking what all you guys have already said about Gena I bought IT too. Unfortunately I'm away from my computer now so I can't even read the docs :(. Is there any way of downloading pdf without downloading Unity's asset? (I'm using my mobile now :().

Mike

4. AdamGoodrich

AdamGoodrich

Gena spawns on terrains or meshes - so it is as useful for indoors as it is for outdoors.

I believe so - but can't confirm as I have never used mapmagic.

My observation is that people tend to have one terrain tool and then be a little fanatical about it. I designed Gena to work with whichever terrain tool you personally prefer.

Hormic and TeagansDad like this.
  5. Sarrivin

Sarrivin

Yes, I'm really interested in using GeNa also to paint meshes/prefabs, and even terrain on vertical meshes like castle walls, etc.
    I imagine, if you made that possible, I'd be able to just create a shape of a wall and maybe GeNa could automatically cover whole of that shape with stones/bricks of some sort. Or leaves, mold, scales or whatever. Maybe a mix of them all. Just by using very dense placement.
    Do you imagine that possible, Adam? If so, I'm totally, really looking forward to this.

I didn't try yet, but maybe on horizontal "road" shapes, it could already fill them with stones. Count me as another one interested in vertical and "ceiling" oriented stuff.
    Ps. Just bought your asset, thank you.

Last edited: Nov 7, 2016
  6. AdamGoodrich

AdamGoodrich

I added this to my list of cool features... will see how difficult it is to implement :)

Mark_01, pixelsteam, Hormic and 2 others like this.
  7. IFL

IFL

@AdamGoodrich - GeNa is awesome, and the documentation is great! Thanks for releasing it.

Could you add " && Event.current.alt == false" to the Single Spawn check (SpawnerEditor line 1243 in v1.0) so that it doesn't interfere with Unity's built-in Ctrl+Alt+ClickDrag panning of the SceneView? It's pretty annoying otherwise.

8. StonedLover

StonedLover

In Gaia the Trees had a Collider when spawned. Is this in Gena as well since the Trees I spawned didnt had an Collider.

9. GameTechnix

GameTechnix

I use Gaia in my work for the initial sculpt and grass/tree placement. And GeNa for detailing specific areas after using Gaia for the main distribution of basic assets.

I was lucky enough to test a few builds of GeNa for Adam.
    GeNa is a very easy to use object spawner with some advanced functions such as colour-map placement, random rotation, offsets, gravity with a click of a button.

I use GeNa extensively for Rock placement in my levels. This allows me to organise which rocks to spawn, then the spawn properties for each rock. I can then simply place the rocks as I have defined with the simple click of a button.
    It's not a replacement for Gaia, However I believe both tools work perfectly together to their own strengths.
    Great tool and a massive time-saver for any level-designer.
    Great work as usual Adam!

10. AdamGoodrich

AdamGoodrich

I came up with a better solution for Gena. It's much faster because it doesn't need to use colliders.

Mark_01 and TeagansDad like this.
  11. AdamGoodrich

AdamGoodrich

Heads up - Gena will go to full price by this time tomorrow. Am working on tutorials now as well.

12. BrendanKZN

BrendanKZN

I secured my copy last night. :D . Dove right in and it's already looking good. I will be asking a few questions in the future regarding spawn amounts, eg. rarity of items/prefabs spawned in the world which is already defined by the inventory/item manager we are using, maybe. I'll wait till all the tutorials are available and gone through everything myself first. Well done Adam.

TeagansDad and AdamGoodrich like this.
  13. Gua

Gua

If I understand correctly, in terms of functionality Gena is similar to QuickBrush, but Gena is more advanced. Is that correct?

14. longroadhwy

longroadhwy

Thanks. Do you have any other new assets coming in the near future?

15. Knightmore

Knightmore

It's much more advanced. You could compare it more to Mega Scatter but I think even that wouldn't be enough to tell how awesome GeNa is and how much time it already saved me since I bought it last week.

AdamGoodrich and TeagansDad like this.
  16. Gua

Gua

Thanks! Guess it's time to make leap of faith.

17. broesby

broesby

Can you elaborate on that one?? What do you mean it doesn't need colliders?? :cool:;)

18. Hikiko66

Hikiko66

It uses bounds to calculate placement of trees, not colliders.

19. antoripa

antoripa

@AdamGoodrich , can I use the spawners create in Gaia with GeNa ? A kind of export/import ...

20. ebizcraftsman

ebizcraftsman

Just to let you know, I HATE you and 3DForge !! STUPID SALES!!!!
    Just Bought Gena, Gaia, Village Interiors and Village Exteriors. ALLLLL ON SALE! Seriously, you all couldn't space these out a little bit???

Serious note, I have been eyeing Gaia for a while now and excited to jump in with both feet. Can't wait to see some Gena videos and really see what I can make!

Thanks and my wallet really does hate you!

21. Knightmore

Knightmore

Wait... Gaia is on sale too? o_O
    How could I miss this?

22. ebizcraftsman

ebizcraftsman

No, not Gaia, I Wish :) But all the others were.. So I splurged!

23. Knightmore

Knightmore

Ahhh you tricked me. :D
    I missed the last Gaia 24 hours sale because I was not at home.
    Well 40$ isn't much and after I had already so much use for GeNa I will buy it in the future anyway when I need to extend my terrain.

24. magique

magique

I saw this and thought there was still time because the message posted time said 6:14PM yesterday, but it's only 1:42PM today and the sale is over. I guess I missed it.

25. AdamGoodrich

AdamGoodrich

Nope - but am considering making it possible to use the light weight Gena spawner configuration process and then export the configurations to Gaia. Some things will work and others won't as the Gena system is a bunch more powerful.

Yep - this approach is orders of magnitude faster!

My wallet thanks you :)

I would argue that its still massive value, based on the time it will save you even at full price.

antoripa and TeagansDad like this.
  26. AdamGoodrich

AdamGoodrich

Heads up - if you like 3D Forge's assets, their Village Interiors and Exteriors kits are on 24 hr sale.

The houses in Gaia as sample Exteriors houses, and the new release from 3D Forge has a new Gaia integration which is super cool - you can now spawn a bunch more interesting farmlets and homesteads.

If you don't have these assets then do yourself a favor and check them out :)

https://www.assetstore.unity3d.com/en/#!/content/38045

BackwoodsGaming and TeagansDad like this.
  27. jangomoose

jangomoose

Couldn't resist the Interiors at $30 even though I don't have a use for them. Will have to come up with something while I am waiting for the Gena video tutorials. Interestingly, did you know the tutorial button in the Gena dialogue goes to Pegasus?

AdamGoodrich likes this.
  28. AdamGoodrich

AdamGoodrich

Yes - in that video, Gaia created the terrain and textured it, and Gena did the rest. So with respect to the richness of the scene - Gena played a major part.

The final part was the use of Pegasus and Helios to make a video to show it off.

29. jangomoose

jangomoose

Ok, that makes sense.

30. treshold

treshold

Oh man totally missed this introductory sale :D with Gaia i was fast enough. Seems like GeNa will be good and high quality tool and will end up to front page sale eventually :)

31. AdamGoodrich

AdamGoodrich

I have submitted Gena for consideration into the "Unity sale" process... but getting selected for it is purely up to Unity, so I am not sure when Gena will be on sale again.

treshold likes this.
  32. Hormic

Hormic

You have an idea when it will be with Gaia again? :-D

33. treshold

treshold

Thanks for the heads-up :) If my project is in level design-phase before sale i will buy it anyways :D just been doodling with Gaia so far :D

34. JeiBell

JeiBell

The following problems exist for the Mac Editor.

1. The Modify Range shortcut keys does not work.
    • Modify Range [Shift + Scroll Wheel Up/Down]
    2. While these shortcuts DO work, they are still broken because holding the Control Key (just like using the ALT key) with Arrow Keys is used to manipulate the camera view.
    • Change Y axis Rotation [Control + Left/Right Arrows]
    • Change Y axis Height [Control + Up/Down Arrows]
    • Move Last Spawn X and Z axis [Control + Shift + Up/Down/Left/Right Arrows]
    3. The sensitivity for Modify Instances [Control + Scroll Wheel Up/Down] (and assuming Modify Range) is extremely flaky; there is some magical speed requirement that I must register just to get the tool to respond and when it does, the value jumps by some arbitrary amount. There is no way to refine the value using this shortcut since single ticks on the Scroll Wheel do not register.

Last edited: Nov 10, 2016
  35. txarly

txarly

Hi,

Nice tool.I have a question.If you click Ctrl + backspace all instances are deleted,what is good, but,

- would be possible to have an option to delete the last spawn only?

you know, sometimes you ctrl + click and may be you don´t like the results, and the option to delete only that spawn or confirming the spawns someway would be very usefull.

thanks

36. antoripa

antoripa

@AdamGoodrich .. I would appreciate if you can share just few code lines to use GeNa in runtime. Thanks.

37. tomraegan

tomraegan

Hi again.

This is not a gripe by any stretch. After all, I bought the asset (which I think is great) for $25. However, the sale mentioned a 50% discount, and the non-sale price turns out to be almost $40, not the $50 I was expecting. Just wanted you to know that misrepresentation, intentional or not, can rub people up the wrong way.

Knightmore likes this.
  38. gecko

gecko

Eager to use this, but having a weird problem -- I only get one prefab spawned each time I control-click on the terrain. Once it spawned a lot of prefabs, but I wanted to fuss with the settings more, and since then, I only get once object each time. Here are my settings. What am I doing wrong? (Mac 10.11.5, Unity 5.4.2)

Also, that one prefab is a couple meters below the terrain surface....

Attached Files:

39. AdamGoodrich

AdamGoodrich

Actually my intention is to raise the price, but I was unable to raise Gaia it match it, so for the mean time the price is matching Gaia. No misrepresentation was intended, and at the price you bought it, which was a thank you to the community, I hope you feel that you have received good value.

Grab 20161111124541 w1900h1200 x-9y101z341r155.jpg

Made this effect by accident while doing the tutorials :)

40. AdamGoodrich

AdamGoodrich

The prefab below surface issue is due to the Y offset in your prefab settings - make it 0. The lack of spawning is due to the seed throw value. That spawner is using bounds checking and most likely the size of your prefabs means that they would fall within the bounds of the previous spawn - which means that the bounds check stops them from spawning. Increase the seed throw. I am going to add some better defaults for this in the next release.

Coming in next release - doco and sample code for runtime. Eta - most likely in the next week.

Not really - the issue is the memory and performance overhead associated with tracking all instances would be significant, particularly with global spawns. You can work around this with prefabs at least by unselecting Merge Instances in the Overview. It will add a new parent object for each spawn iteration and you can delete the ones you don't like.

Gotta love Apple :) You can manually set some of these things if you want. I will add an ability to override the key sequences in the next version.

I am considering adding an export config to Gaia option.. problem is that while it will work in some scenarios it wont work with all.

Next major push will be to support multi tile in Gaia. Then I want to do a rivers and perhaps a roads asset.

I will add the ability for you to customise the key / mouse controls. I use a PC and had no issues, and none of my beta team reported any issues on mac.

41. llJIMBOBll

llJIMBOBll

Awsome looking craft, is it ufo?

42. IFL

IFL

I also use a PC (with a graphics tablet instead of a mouse). I'm surprised that I'm the first to encounter an issue with it. The key combination is listed in the manual under Movement Shortcuts -> 2-button mouse or track-pad, but it appears that it's seldom used by others if you haven't had any other complaints about it. I guess I'd almost rather you not fix it (I can do it myself) so you can continue to improve GeNa in other ways. Either way, thanks for making such for an awesome tool!

43. AdamGoodrich

AdamGoodrich

The downside of capturing keys is that you almost always break something :/ I worked around this by only intercepting keys etc when you have a spawner selected.

I bought a proper microphone yesterday for the tutorials and while I was working on the video's I found a bug with image based masking... wanted to show off making a field of sunflowers using a reasonably complex mask.. trying to work out what is going on... its an edge case and it "should" work :)

For those of you who like the space ship - it is freely available here : https://www.cgtrader.com/free-3d-models/space/spacecraft-sci-fi/luminaris-starship

llJIMBOBll likes this.
  44. AdamGoodrich

AdamGoodrich

Found the issue with image masking.. now to fix it in all cases :)

This was made with one of the new masks... a couple of clicks and we have a sunflower farm :)

Grab 20161112084229 w1900h1200 x186y67z237r305.jpg

45. magique

magique

Why is everything so blurry?

46. TeagansDad

TeagansDad

47. magique

magique

Yeah, I kind of figured that, but it's so poorly set up that almost the entire image is blurred. Just thinking it would look so much better turned off when trying to showcase something. Or at least set so only the background is blurred.

48. AdamGoodrich

AdamGoodrich

Yeah... not my best ever screen shot :)

BackwoodsGaming and TeagansDad like this.
  49. Rombie

Rombie

For a quick example; it's good.

50. BackwoodsGaming

BackwoodsGaming

Yup.. Not one I'd put up in the AS images, but good for a quickie to show the masks are working.. Are those the speedtree sunflowers? Love the field!

unityunity