Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

GeNa - Sophisticated procedural content spawner

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by AdamGoodrich, Oct 22, 2016.

1. S4G4N

S4G4N

Hey man, you must also try the DISCORD, you will get support way faster there :)
    Procedural World Discord

2. Gua

Gua

I've noticed that in latest GENA we can spawn texture. Can we get a tutorial on that feature?

3. Gua

Gua

How do I delete spawned tree instances in GENA 2.5?

S4G4N likes this.
  4. S4G4N

S4G4N

You should join the Procedural World Discord
    Many users and support staff there 24/7

5. Gua

Gua

If it gets answered on this forum. Other people can find it and future me, that will forget it will be able to find it using google.

newguy123 and angrypenguin like this.
  6. BryanPW

BryanPW

We are working on getting updated tutorials out as soon as possible!

7. BryanPW

BryanPW

You can go to the Gena Spawner- Spawn Prototypes- Details- Delete Instances, or you can Ctrl and BackSpace- this will delete them as well. Please note this will delete all of the prefabs under that spawner.

8. Gua

Gua

At least for objects added through tree terrain but spawned with Gena it doesn't work.

9. BryanPW

BryanPW

Can you please try this option, and let me know if this works?

Attached Files:

10. Gua

Gua

I don't have this button for terrain trees objects (Unity 2018.4.20). It's there for game objects, but not for terrain trees.

Last edited: May 15, 2020
  11. Mike891

Mike891

That was March 2. Now July 14. You still keep to sell with splines on asset website and know buyers don't get it. For 4 months already. How do you think deceptive means?

12. AdamGoodrich

AdamGoodrich

If only the real world conformed to our best laid plans and intentions. Sadly it doesn't. The fact that it doesn't does not make us deceptive. It just makes us normal. When we have further news on GeNa then we will announce it.

S4G4N likes this.
  13. blacksun666

blacksun666

Adam, you are breaking UK consumer law (I don't know about the laws of other countries). You promise and charge for a list of features, yet in this forum say people will have to pay extra for those promised features. Please amend your advert, you are knowingly misleading people. Alternatively retract your statement that spines will incur additional money.

14. AdamGoodrich

AdamGoodrich

Removed as per your feedback.

In the bigger picture we always try and do what we think is fair.

A huge amount of work has gone into the next version of GeNa, about 9 man months of a professional developers time and counting.

As we did and continue to do with Gaia 2, and Gaia Pro, we have done a lot more to the product than what we promised. The sad reality is that most people don't seem to care or appreciate that we go further and push harder to make better products. Splines is just the beginning of what we have added. We have taken the tool to an entirely new level and have even bigger plans for it in the future as well.

Anyways. We are refining our approach to our products on the asset store as a whole and have a plan for GeNa that we hope everyone here will like. For most people it will be a massive boost in value.

When we are ready to launch we will share more information.

Recon03, Mark_01, S4G4N and 1 other person like this.
  15. blacksun666

blacksun666

Thank you Adam. I do not doubt the work that goes into your products, nor that they are excellent value for money. Gaia was the first ever asset I purchased from the asset store and I've bought many other Procedural World assets since. I wish other asset store vendors came with the same level of professionalism, support, and longevity as those offered by Procedural Worlds, but have been burnt several times by other vendors.
    I look forward to your future offerings and news.

Mark_01, S4G4N and AdamGoodrich like this.
  16. StevenPicard

StevenPicard

Will the new version work in 2019.4 LTS? I know you might name it something like Gena 2020 but I plan to stay in this version for awhile and Gena is a great tool.

17. AdamGoodrich

AdamGoodrich

Yeah it should. Nothing in there at moment that i can think of that would cause issues.

StevenPicard likes this.
  18. BryanPW

BryanPW

As far as I know, no one has reported any issues with that version!

19. StevenPicard

StevenPicard

Are you talking about the new version still to come out? That's the version I'm talking about. I have owned Gena since version 1 first came out and version 2 works great.

20. BryanPW

BryanPW

I mean 2019.4 doesn't have any issues that we have been made aware of. I am testing it and nothing is wrong so you should be fine!

StevenPicard likes this.
  21. StevenPicard

StevenPicard

I have to say. This is still one of my all time favorite tools!

BryanPW likes this.
  22. BryanPW

BryanPW

We are glad this is the case!!!

23. nanditho

nanditho

Hello,
    I really love the asset until i mess up with Vegetation Studio.
    So i uninstalled the vegetation studio because the error, then bad error occur to Gena 2.
    GENA 2 keep asking the namespace of Awesome technology which is Vegetation Studio.

I have tried the solution below:
    https://proceduralworlds.freshdesk....ing-vegetation-studio-pro-in-the-same-project

But turn to other error. Im using Unity 2019.4. LTS

Can you help me

24. BryanPW

BryanPW

Hey there,

Can you please go to edit- project settings- and go-to player. If you can copy the scriptable define symbols and send it or send a screenshot.

What I believe is the problem is that it may not have removed this from the defined symbols and this may be what is causing the issue in code as it is still acting like it is there. Please let me know if this is the case.

Also, note that you have to delete it and hit enter or it will not save.

25. newguy123

newguy123

It looks like some of the Nature Manufacture Assets are compatible with RTX in 2020.1

Would I be able to use HDRP in RTX mode and use GENA2 to scatter the plants?

26. BryanPW

BryanPW

Yes, you can create your own spawner and add the vegetation to the spawner!

newguy123 likes this.
  27. newguy123

newguy123

I dont actually own GENA2 (yet)

Is it simple enough to scatter things over meshes (not terrain)

Typical use case:
    Import HIGH Poly Tree Meshes FBX from 3ds Max, then scatter 3 or 4 different types of high poly trees over another mesh (not a terrain, but typically another mesh that was created in 3ds Max using either a flat plane, or polygons that was derived from AutoCAD contour data)

28. Berir

Berir

Hi,

I have Gaia and Gena but I am struggling to create a stylized look I need ... I need to be able to generate a terrain that looks more like Age of empire 2rather then organic ... terrain that has several terraced levels and each level is flat with exact same sea level height and hopefully has same edge pattern all around the slope, just like that edge in the Age of empire pic I have attached ... I would appreciate any suggestion.... hoping there is some setting I missed for this kind of outcome to control slopes ... thank you in advance
    upload_2020-10-23_4-50-26.png

upload_2020-10-23_4-50-41.png

Last edited: Oct 23, 2020
  29. AdamGoodrich

AdamGoodrich

Gaia tends to use more organic shapes as stamps.

However it can use anything. One thing you can do is make a mesh in your unique shape. Or even your own heightmap as an image - and then from the advanced tab in Gaia, use the scanner to turn it into a stamp.

Once it is a stamp then you have the entire power of Gaia to scale, rotate and morph it as you wish.

For more information please go to our support link: https://www.procedural-worlds.com/support/

We are not notified of posts here and scan the unity forums rarely.

S4G4N and BackwoodsGaming like this.
  30. BryanPW

BryanPW

This is possible yes you don't have to spawn on just terrains it will allow you to spawn on meshes as well.

Mark_01 and newguy123 like this.
  31. angrypenguin

angrypenguin

I've been taking Gena 2 for a spin, and have used it to place a bunch of stuff already a few days ago. However, now when I'm trying to do the same neither my old nor new spawners work. Clicking in the scene view just selects the scene view, even with shift held. None of Gena's widgets appear. This happens with both newly placed spawners and those existing from prior runs, which have already been used to successfully place stuff.

Unity 2020.1.2f1, GeNa2.5.0-c2. What am I likely to have missed, here?

Thanks!

Edit: Oh, and for what it's worth, the "View Online Tutorials and Docs" button in the GeNa Spawner Inspector leads to a Page Not Found 404.

32. angrypenguin

angrypenguin

This is because I had Gizmos disabled. Re-enabling them has made things work again. :)

newguy123, Mark_01 and BryanPW like this.
  33. S4G4N

S4G4N

34. BryanPW

BryanPW

Glad it was figured out!

Mark_01 likes this.
  35. fusion242

fusion242

Hi,
    I tried to join discord but it says that the invite has expired.
    We are adding a prefab that has a number of LODs (children of the main gameobject prefab) to a spawner.
    It is spawning as expected, but the created objects have a copy of all the prefab children with the material stripped clean. e.g.
    MYOBJECT [has a collider and a lod group on it]
    -> LOD0

becomes

MYOBJECT [has a collider and a lod group on it]
    -> LOD0
    -> _LOD0 [copy of the LOD0 added to the parent]

Is this a setting or is it an issue I need to report (or wait for official support at my Unity level). Running on Unity 2020.1.12f.

Many thanks, Ben.

36. BryanPW

BryanPW

I am looking into this!

fusion242 likes this.
  37. fusion242

fusion242

In Spawner.CS

// If it has children traverse down the tree
    if (res.HasChildren)
    {
    spawnedSomething |= SpawnResourceTree(go, res.Children, Vector3.zero, resNormal, Vector3.one, Vector3.zero, cumulativeTransform, forceSpawn, ref topLevelGOs, ref gis, protoIdCode);
    }

This code seems to iterate through all children in a prefab and then spawn a copy of these, linked to the parent (causing the problem I mentioned above).

Maybe a flag could be added to a prototype to process/ignore the children so that it would allow the existing functionality, which I get helps with prefabs for villages etc., but will also work for HLOD objects. Maybe this already exists even somewhere else in the code.

Either way, commenting this part of the code will let you spawn instances of just the parent prefab!

KR, Ben.

38. BryanPW

BryanPW

Ok, thank you!

39. Tsahyla

Tsahyla

Looking for a place to put this about Gena Pro so the author is aware as they develop - hope this is the correct place. (yes I realize its beta) - latest version of "Gena Pro (v 3.0.3)" apparently breaks latest version of "Terrain Tools (v 3.0.3)" (yes I realize its preview) from the Package Manager.

If you import the 2 in a fresh new project causes errors :
    (1) "Library\PackageCache\com.unity.terrain-tools@3.0.2-preview.3\Editor\TerrainTools\TerrainFillUtility.cs(13,28): error CS0426: The type name 'TerrainMap' does not exist in the type 'TerrainUtility' "
    and
    (2) "Library\PackageCache\com.unity.terrain-tools@3.0.2-preview.3\Editor\TerrainTools\TerrainFillUtility.cs(13,67): error CS0117: 'TerrainUtility' does not contain a definition for 'TerrainMap' "

Its also odd because Package Manager says the v of Terrain tools is 3.0.3, but the error says something different.

40. BryanPW

BryanPW

This should be fixed in the next version that will be released.

41. Tsahyla

Tsahyla

42. BryanPW

BryanPW

No problem!

43. newguy123

newguy123

1) Anybody here that have both used Roads with Gena Pro, but also used EasyRoadsPro. How does the 2 products compare (in specific relation to roads).

2) I may need to do a project covering a real map of about 10km X 10km, and seeing what are my options. For scaterring, Gena Pro has me sorted together with GPU Instanser it would seem. Will Gaia Pro cover my terrain/map needs? Can it do maps from real GIS data and create pull info from the net at creation time, or do I manually have to source the GIS data and feed it to Gaia? Any other options? I will need to create some new roads in this real map, to show a new large property development....

44. AdamGoodrich

AdamGoodrich

GeNa Pro is 100% procedural and is also API controllable, which means that complex and weird intersections are supported, which was not possible with EasyRoads the last time I looked. However it is also relatively new, so it is not yet as capable as EasyRoadsPro in terms of pure roads support. We will be adding to this capability over time.

Yes. It is extremely powerful. It also does rivers and roads and complex structures ;)

You can manually pull GIS data and use it as a stamp in Gaia Pro, and that will get you biomes and lots of other coolness... however, Gaia GeoSpatial is also in development, and that will interact direct with your mapping source.

Gaia GeoSpatial is not yet launched however, and I do not have an eta on this. When it all gets to where I want it to be, Gaia Pro will handle large environment generation and streaming, GeNa Pro will handle roads, rivers and other more complex micro spawning, Gaia GeoSpatial will handle real world ingestion, and finally Storm will handle acceleration and massive worlds support.

newguy123 likes this.
  45. Mike891

Mike891

i see this on comming sale today:

April 12 GeNa Pro – Terrains, Villages, Roads & Rivers Save $100.80
    and
    asset store page for gena pro: $144

so gena pro will be good for $43.20?

46. S4G4N

S4G4N

Where did you see this information ?

47. Mike891

Mike891

S4G4N likes this.
  48. dsilverthorn

dsilverthorn

New Video coming tomorrow. "Apollo's Dream II" Using tons of assets, as usual. The music is always an original composition.

Hope everyone enjoys it, the scene and music has been in the works for a long time. We are glad we are finally coming to a final product.

Keep an eye on our YouTube for the new video.
    https://www.youtube.com/user/silverthorndavid/videos
    View attachment 829055

49. dsilverthorn

dsilverthorn

Apollo's Dream II is now live!
    A ton of work went into this one, I hope everyone will enjoy it.
    Creating beauty with Unity for a Virtual Experience with an original soundtrack is a lot of fun and I hope it shows in the video.

GeNa Pro made the adding of boulders on the edge of the cliffs a breeze!! Thank you PW team, another great asset!!
    Thank you @AdamGoodrich !!

Quique-Martinez and Inspeinre like this.
  50. vertexx

vertexx

Not sure if this is correct Forum thread but I see where GeNaPro-villages,Roads etc etc is being offered for sale at $100 off normal price.
    Might be worth buying but I'm not sure about this

Supported Pipelines:

• "GeNa needs compute shader support to work.
    • Pipeline agnostic, we spawn what you put in.
    • River shader currently supports built in. Multi-pipeline support will be added in a later release. Swap in own shader for your preferred pipeline."

• No idea if this will be troublesome or not? What's it all about please. Remember that absolute beginners do sometimes purchase these assets and descriptions like the gibberish above just cause doubts and uncertainty.