Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

GeNa - Sophisticated procedural content spawner

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by AdamGoodrich, Oct 22, 2016.

1. Mark_01

Mark_01

I agree as well. Lots of dev's have up and left and lots of DEPRECATED assets.
    I have a great many after 4 years, and I do not want to even count them, because if I did I
    would be bummed out for days.

Some of these developers were IMHO " hit and run " charged a big fee upfront and maybe did one update,
    got all the sales they thought they would get and just ran, instead of doing VERY good support and consent upgrades
    like Adam does.

IMO you need to look at the developer and figure out if they are acting in yours and their best interest.

Adam has been consistent in upgrading and making new assets for us.

The people that feel this is a raw deal some how ... well its been 3 or 4 years of Adam upgrading and keeping
    his assets up to date with Unity Engine while giving stellar support and so many tutorial videos.

I feel far more secure Adam asking for small amounts when he feels it is deserving for any of his packages.
    This way we can enjoy quality products with out needing to worry so much about deprecated.

It's pretty sad when people have had his assets for years and if used, got support and many many updates, and if you can't see the sense of giving this developer an upgrade fee every once in awhile ... then really you are the one trying to take unfair advantage. You trust a developer or you don't, as soon as they give you a reason to stop trusting then, don't upgrade.

2. imgumby

imgumby

Yep..like Adam said..tough luck..just remember when you look for your next environment solution how you were treated and respond with your pocket book...Caveat Emptor...

Ne0mega likes this.
  3. AdamGoodrich

AdamGoodrich

Hey - just a heads up - for those that don't want to upgrade to v2 - this is our first Upgrade and we are learning.

We very much appreciate your support and will continue to support v1 through to the end of the U2018 life cycle.

For those that didn't already read about it, we released v2 yesterday, and also updated v1 to v1.6 to support the latest 2018 API changes.

4. gyl09

gyl09

@AdamGoodrich, just to be clear I have no doubt about your hard work, and I can only admit that your assets (Gena, GAIA ) are really good and well documented on pdf and youtube channel.

So you definitely deserve what you earn on asset store, and this paid update, even if it s for a real new version (as it will be for GAIA 2 from what I understood), has nothing shoking compared to the work accomplished.

As you said, bad timing for me, and it can be quite harsh to process at first time to have to pay upgrade fees after only 3months, that was my point and first reaction. Moreover, as currently there is not yet videos demonstrating the new features, it s another factor which doesn't facilitate the transition. But I m sure it's already in progress, and trust you to announce new great features. So I'll wait for them and see at this moment.
    So I just wanted to clarify my reaction, there is no doubt about the quality of your work, and your commitment to customers. I was just in the wrong timing to buy gena at first ;-)

Mark_01, recon0303 and AdamGoodrich like this.
  5. Mark_01

Mark_01

I don't think there is new features in GeNa 1, could be wrong. He has said the Gena you bought
    will be good for the life cycle of Untiy2018, So he is extending this for you and others that
    do not want or need the new features in Gena 2 is all.

6. recon0303

recon0303

I agree with Adam and Keith here... If you feel Gena 2 is not worth 20 dollars, just use GENA 1, it works just fine that way.... Now the updates he is offering, would of costed you thousands if you hired him, or someone in the industry out side of the Unity asset store...So please understand that development cost money.... Even if its 90 days... +4 days, 20 dollars is lunch money for most people. and if you can't afford it, its understandable..or if you just don't want it...

a developer as a game developer, or software developer You can NEVER EVER make everyone happy... So if and when you make a game, not to be rude you need to understand this. Its impossible for Adam or anyone to do this in ANY business.... So he does his best, as I know how he is.... So if he gave 100 days which covered you, someone else would of complained, 100 + 4 days or 1 day...So again, no way in hell he can make everyone happy.. So when and if you release a game you will see this and understand... So please try and understand this. and if you can't afford Gena 2 or just don't want it, that is ok as well....

But as a developer for a living, I can tell you that GENA 2 is worth it and far from dead, its been solid since the day it release and I have used in two games extensively..,..Sold one of my games...and they where happy with the results, GENA played a huge role in my level and world building. So I can be blunt, and honest if I feel he was cheating us in any way check my posts on some other assets, I do speak up...

I hope you give GENA 2 a chance, you won't be disappointed, way more is planned.... and that alone is worth 20 dollars....and then some...In my professional opinion, GENA 1, should of cost us, thousands of dollars. or more.. Gena 2, just as much.. if not more.

Good luck on your game or project and I hope you give it a try. :)

AdamGoodrich and Mark_01 like this.
  7. recon0303

recon0303

Non sense, GENA 1 is NOT a WIP at all....So little confused by this..comment sir...How many games have you released before... Because I have been apart of over 11 AAA releases in 20 years and countless indies, I can say from real experience GENA 1 is on par with AAA tools I have used in AAA engines...So they charge next to nothing for it..and you are complaining about 20 dollars...Sorry my friend you are in the wrong business if you expect everything for free....Auto Desk charges thousands for updates every year, Substance charges for updates every year.....Modo does, and many other AAA, indie tools....So Adam has NEVER ever charged, I mean how would you like it if you worked for free....So not to be a rude jerk here, but I find this to be rude, attacking him, about 20 dollars...When game dev cost most, and a ton of time and patience....So release a game.....Then, I bet you will respond differently to this. please have some understanding about this industry and how much, you would feel if you worked for free......for years...

..Adam has also gave a ton of FREE support, most companies charge a yearly fee for support... Unity included....Sir...So you really need to understand this.. Sorry if I went off but this really bugs me as I know how committed Adam has been...and feel to many people just don't understand game development at all........ Better yet, go hire someone to make GENA or something like it, I bet it will cost you way more than 200. or even a thousand dollars.... I just ask you have understanding...... If not, just use GENA 1.... but its NOT a WIP .......it has always worked as I use it in two games, and has worked perfectly the way it was..... The new stuff in GENA 2 and coming, is amazing things I never seen in Unity before......heck even some of it don't exist in many AAA engines I have used....

So for those that don't use GENA 2 that is fine, but you are missing out. over some lunch money for most people..I can understand , some can't afford it, due to it being a hobby, if that is the case, GENA 1 still works perfectly fine. No one is forcing you to buy it...but Adam needs to make a living and pay his team...to be able to make this awesome tools....With out them, makes Unity suck....period in those areas.

Last edited: Sep 8, 2018
    AdamGoodrich and Mark_01 like this.
  8. imgumby

imgumby

Good lord that's a lot of bluster..glad you're so accomplished.I believe everything you claim to be and almost certain you're holding back on illuminating me with your grandiosity just in the name of being humble....Read the sellers contract...maybe get a grasp on the meaning of the acronym "WIP" ..and get back to me if you must once you've relaxed a bit...

Ne0mega likes this.
  9. gecko

gecko

Is there an ETA on terrain texturing in Gena 2?

10. atomicjoe

atomicjoe

So... are we paying the same for the upgrade than the full Gena2 product on sale?
    Shouldn't the sale discount be applied to the upgrade price too?
    Not in a hurry to upgrade then.
    I'll see how Gena2 goes or even wait for the future Gena3.

11. imgumby

imgumby

for edification of everyone including our beloved developers.....read the whole thing ..it's not long...but section 9 is most apropo to the discussion https://unity3d.com/legal/as_provider....
    good luck

12. imgumby

imgumby

I think what you're seeing is the $20 update fee... the ongoing sale of the week is only 25% so I don't believe that's actually a "sale price"

13. atomicjoe

atomicjoe

"Provider agrees that Provider will, at no cost to Customers and Unity, supply via the Unity Asset Store any upgrades or otherwise updated versions of all Assets that a Customer has acquired from the Unity Asset Store. For the avoidance of doubt, this does also apply to any Asset that has been distributed for free via the Unity Asset Store."

Ne0mega likes this.
  14. TheSeawolf

TheSeawolf

Hey Adam and team, I appreciate all the development time that goes into your assets. I just purchased the upgrade to GeNa.

I also appreciate the initial support for Vegetation Studio which I added yesterday; I guess i’ll Need to purchase SECTR for my large open terrain map at some stage.

Keep up the good work.

15. twobob

twobob

Actually. that is true. Forgot that.

Ne0mega likes this.
  16. AndreasO

AndreasO

Well, we can discuss about this paragraph or we just accept that Adam runs a business and needs an income to provide his services developing new assets and/or updates to keep up with the ever-changing API breakages Unity introduces.

I got GeNa on May Madness sale and wasn't pleased to read that I would have to shell out another 20 bucks for the upgrade just because I got one month in too early buying it. On the other hand, 20 bucks is still cheap enough to swallow the pill and as I said Adam needs an income. I wouldn't want to work for free for sure. So I do see why charging a little fee makes sense for all of us, devs and customers.

TheSeawolf and recon0303 like this.
  17. twobob

twobob

W/e not saying it is right - just saying that is indeed what one agrees too.

Ne0mega and bml like this.
  18. StevenPicard

StevenPicard

Definitely odd wording considering Unity gives the ability for the Asset Developer to charge an upgrade fee. If charging for new versions weren't allowed I think Unity wouldn't have supplied this ability and would have put a stop to this practice long ago. It's just not realistic to expect a company to provide free updates forever. It's just not sustainable. In fact, Unity never did it themselves. The new subscription based payment model is just paying an upgrade fee every single month (or year.)

I definitely think Unity needs to amend their wording and clarify their position.

Mark_01 likes this.
  19. Mark_01

Mark_01

I think once a year or major update, a small update fee. I think charging a fee every month or
    every small update, it will back fire bad.

I am from the time of windows 3.1 , back then as I am sure many remember, companies charged an
    update/upgrade fee about once a year. Back then people sometimes were like ... we are being charged for
    a company to put out buggy software and charge people to be in essence " beta tester's " ,
    then, that same company wanted an upgrade fee for all the Bugs they fixed ... and say it's a new version... I don't think a dev can or should charge for fixing bugs ...

There has to be a middle ground some where. I think bonafide company's should be on a different
    bracket then say hobby people or single developers etc..

The whole idea is to democratize, " Unity say's "

What could happen is some people will just freeze what Version of Unity they are using and
    not buy anymore asset's. As some people here I see around the forums, are adamant about
    using Unity 5.6 Only ... this is how back lashes get started .. imo.

Last edited: Sep 10, 2018
    Ne0mega likes this.
  20. twobob

twobob

Also. Sorry for totally derailing this thread.

21. AdamGoodrich

AdamGoodrich

Quite a busy thread since I last looked, thanks for dropping by @hippocoder :)

I hope to have that in the next few weeks. As soon as we have that then we have all the pieces we need for the next interesting surprise - and the responses we have had so far with the people we have shared the ideas with have been very positive.

hippocoder and Mark_01 like this.
  22. AdamGoodrich

AdamGoodrich

Speaking of surprises.. Path Painter will launch shortly !!

World was made with Gaia, shaded by CTS, populated by Gaia & GeNa 2 (check the fences there!), flythrough and ambient AI by Pegasus, and of course, paths by Path Painter!

Last edited: Sep 11, 2018
  23. recon0303

recon0303

So i'm replying, to those comments. and i'm totally relaxed...But I'm a BLUNT person and up front about something that is good,and honest company, if a company or person was scamming people, I would be all over them.....

So I feel by this comment, I feel you where attacking someone because he was going to CHARGE for HIS work.,...and you sir by your own comment expected for free...Get real.

24. recon0303

recon0303

Nice looking forward to the new updates and tools! Keep up the amazing work!

AdamGoodrich likes this.
  25. recon0303

recon0303

well, I know you or seen you around, you seem to be a great guy, but you know what happens with reviews by now, you use a lot of the same discords as I do, I suggest to talk to other devs you can trust before buying an asset, I hate the review system as well as its flawed in many ways....Many are NOT fake, but unfair...I see people rating GOOD reviews down and ones that are below 5 stars badly....So you know what happens.. So again this is why I stick with asset devs that work together.. and been around for years.. /cheers man.

26. AdamGoodrich

AdamGoodrich

Grab 20180910082212 w1920h1039 x170y92z-327r265.jpg

Grab 20180910081832 w1920h1039 x175y97z-347r246.jpg

Fences painted in with the new Painter feature in GeNa 2... massive time saver ;)

Mark_01, recon0303, P_Jong and 2 others like this.
  27. imgumby

imgumby

So you didn't read the contract then...lol..have a wonderful day...

Ne0mega likes this.
  28. AdamGoodrich

AdamGoodrich

You have made your point, as you have done in many other publishers forums, on the same topic.

Whether you agree how I do my business or not, its my decision to run it in a way that makes it sustainable and that works for me and the team. In my opinion not going broke is a good because we want to bring more cool things to the community as a whole. We work hard to deliver quality and hopefully it shows.

You are under no obligation to buy the upgrade and if you or anyone else reading does not want to, then of course I respect this. V1 works just fine as it has for several years now. Perhaps you will be convinced that all of the additional work we put into V2 is something that is attractive for you to upgrade in the future - and that would be cool too.

In the mean time, can everyone here please stop with the negativity and lets get this forum back to being the positive place it is intended to be.

29. TheSeawolf

TheSeawolf

Who here has used the new path painter? I won’t get a chance until tomorrow.

How does it function in workflow? Can you paint the path through your existing GeNa spawns and it removes objects in the way? Also does it have an undo feature built in?

30. AdamGoodrich

AdamGoodrich

We will do video tutorials shortly. Still trying to get the Path Painter and Sectr updates out.

If you are painting prefabs - you can undo as before - or just delete them.

FYI, I did create an Undo in the past with GeNa - but because GeNa can spawn many thousands of things in a go, people asked me to remove it as Unity kept randomly crashing.

31. recon0303

recon0303

WOW, man the mod already replied to you about the SO called contract... But clearly you didn't read it sir.. I suggest to do so.. and by the way if you ever make a game please make it free...for ever....and work for frees, if it was me, the 20 dollars wouldn't be worth some people as THEY will never be happy no matter what you do.. You just want to complain..... The MOD, already posted, so incase you don't read..that, you can contact UNITY, regarding UPDATES... and what the developers can do SIR... good day to you.

32. recon0303

recon0303

What version of Unity are you using? I used this in beta a bit, and it worked. but maybe , some new bug got introduced. .shrug.

33. AdamGoodrich

AdamGoodrich

Please look at the setup for this in the doco. I give specific examples on how to set it up. Video's soon :)

Rowlan likes this.
  34. AdamGoodrich

AdamGoodrich

Hey everyone - we are super pleased to release Path Painter!!!

It's a system that makes it super easy to paint Paths, Roads, Ramps & River Beds into Unity Terrains. Tutorials will come in the next few days.

35. Rowlan

Rowlan

Sounds very interesting. Does it support Vegetation Studio mask generation for the roads or is it planned? I've been looking for a tool like this in combination with VS.

36. rasto61

rasto61

Hi, im getting this:
    InvalidOperationException: Operation is not valid due to the current state of the object
    System.Collections.Generic.Stack`1[System.Boolean].Pop ()
    UnityEditor.EditorGUI.EndChangeCheck () (at C:/buildslave/unity/build/Editor/Mono/EditorGUI.cs:324)
    UnityEditor.SceneView.CallOnSceneGUI () (at C:/buildslave/unity/build/Editor/Mono/SceneView/SceneView.cs:2509)
    UnityEditor.SceneView.HandleSelectionAndOnSceneGUI () (at C:/buildslave/unity/build/Editor/Mono/SceneView/SceneView.cs:1833)
    UnityEditor.SceneView.OnGUI () (at C:/buildslave/unity/build/Editor/Mono/SceneView/SceneView.cs:1663)
    System.Reflection.MonoMethod.Invoke (System.Object obj, BindingFlags invokeAttr, System.Reflection.Binder binder, System.Object[] parameters, System.Globalization.CultureInfo culture) (at /Users/builduser/buildslave/mono/build/mcs/class/corlib/System.Reflection/MonoMethod.cs:222)
    Rethrow as TargetInvocationException: Exception has been thrown by the target of an invocation.
    System.Reflection.MonoMethod.Invoke (System.Object obj, BindingFlags invokeAttr, System.Reflection.Binder binder, System.Object[] parameters, System.Globalization.CultureInfo culture) (at /Users/builduser/buildslave/mono/build/mcs/class/corlib/System.Reflection/MonoMethod.cs:232)
    System.Reflection.MethodBase.Invoke (System.Object obj, System.Object[] parameters) (at /Users/builduser/buildslave/mono/build/mcs/class/corlib/System.Reflection/MethodBase.cs:115)
    UnityEditor.HostView.Invoke (System.String methodName, System.Object obj) (at C:/buildslave/unity/build/Editor/Mono/HostView.cs:295)
    UnityEditor.HostView.Invoke (System.String methodName) (at C:/buildslave/unity/build/Editor/Mono/HostView.cs:288)
    UnityEditor.HostView.InvokeOnGUI (Rect onGUIPosition) (at C:/buildslave/unity/build/Editor/Mono/HostView.cs:255)

with 1.6 in 2017.4.8f1. Happens when I try to ctrl+shift spawn on a unity plane mesh. So I cannot spawn globally

37. AdamGoodrich

AdamGoodrich

Hmmm.. can you please lodge ticketed request - that will ensure we dont accidentally miss following up on this - we will see if we can replicate. Link is in my signature.

38. rasto61

rasto61

Does Path Painter provide any advantage over Easy Roads?

39. AdamGoodrich

AdamGoodrich

Different sorts of tools.

Paint Painter paints paths on terrains - and is dead easy and quick to use. No meshes involved, just fast terrain carving and painting. It is targeted to solve one problem very well.

Easy Roads has all sorts of mesh generation capabilities. There is also a much greater learning curve. Also a very nice tool.

BackwoodsGaming likes this.
  40. AdamGoodrich

AdamGoodrich

Hey everyone,

We have unfortunately had to take the decision to deprecate v1 of GeNa.

I would have preferred to keep it live until the end of the U2018 release cycle, but there are a bunch of people in the community that are abusing the review system and using as a platform to trash us and the product, and complain about the Upgrade to version 2.

For anyone that does have issues with u2018 and GeNa v1, we will continue to support you through to the end of the U2018 release cycle.

Cheers,
    Adam.

Last edited: Sep 12, 2018
    TeagansDad, S4G4N and Mark_01 like this.
  41. StevenPicard

StevenPicard

I'm sorry that you had to experience that. I wish people were more understanding of how businesses work and the need for the owner and their employees to feed their family.

42. Mark_01

Mark_01

Plus one

S4G4N and AdamGoodrich like this.
  43. AdamGoodrich

AdamGoodrich

Thanks!

On a positive note, as promised, the GeNa 2 upgrade is already working hard for the community, and we are super excited to announce that @Shawn67 has just joined the Procedural Worlds team as our Community Manager!

Shawn as been with us since the early days of the first Gaia beta, and makes a terrific addition to our team. In addition to helping everyone get the best out of our suite of tools, he is also bringing his Gaia stamp packs over and you will soon see his existing packs and his new packs joining the Procedural Worlds asset collection.

Please come on over to our Discord server and make him feel welcome! With over 1000 people already there it's hugely active, and is a positive environment where you can learn from your peers, get help, share your work, or just make friends and have a chat!

Last edited: Sep 12, 2018
    TeagansDad, S4G4N, TheSeawolf and 7 others like this.
  44. AdamGoodrich

AdamGoodrich

Hey again, this post is a bit more serious than usual.

It's been a fascinating journey growing up as a publisher on the asset store and being able to participate in the democratization of game development. We've contributed to some amazing games, formed deep friendships and are growing a vibrant community. And best of all: we absolutely love this!

Procedural Worlds is all about empowering people by giving them the tools, technology and education to help them to help themselves! And we want to grow an agile, happy and productive community that welcomes ideas and fosters collaboration between people with different interests, needs and skills.

We gain strength from this diversity and seek participation from people who can enhance it. We want to ensure that diverse groups are free to collaborate to mutual advantage and enjoyment. And we will challenge prejudice and toxic behavior that could jeopardize the participation of any person in the PW community.

Likewise, the Unity ecosystem is diverse and strong: everyone and every product adds value into the mix; our products stand on their own merits and we love that there are also competing products. The reality is that no good crafts-person has just one tool in their kit and most people have most tools and use them together for their relative strengths.

We want to set a standard here with the entire community engaging with each other in a critical, constructive and enjoyable way. We firmly believe that trolling is neither interesting nor enjoyable. Trolling drags us all down to the level of those who have no respect for anyone or anything. The best way to get rid of trolls is to starve them, so if you do see someone trashing our stuff let us know and we will bring them to the attention of the Unity moderators. There is a high probability they are trolling other products too and we can all help make the broader community less toxic by calling them out.

45. StevenPicard

StevenPicard

On another thread of yours I was about to respond to one but figured (exactly as you are saying) not to feed them. There's no sense cluttering a thread with arguments that will go no where.

Keep up the good work!

46. derkoi

derkoi

Hey, I'm a bit confused. I already bought Gena when it was released but now I have to pay again for an update or is the Asset Store being weird? I can't seem to find the original version I purchased on the store?

Ne0mega likes this.
  47. blacksun666

blacksun666

BackwoodsGaming likes this.
  48. BackwoodsGaming

BackwoodsGaming

While version 1 is no longer on the store, you should still be able to download it within you download manager in the Unity editor. Also, you should notice that version 2 is not full price, but is an upgrade price for you.

AdamGoodrich likes this.
  49. frankslater

frankslater

@imgumby,

I'm sorry that you feel this way. Unfortunately even good publishers can't make every single person happy. They need to strive for what's best for the majority of users. I think that balance is very hard to find or even get near, but a publisher cannot become successful without it.

I'm sure Adam would make sure that you are happy enough, even if you don't belong to the majority. He would do that in good faith, but the few of your antics I just saw do not have anything to do with good faith.

Could you please stop pushing this on everyone. It's been ongoing for long enough and I couldn't see a single person that agreed with you.

I'm not saying that you are incorrect. What I'm saying is that this is not the correct way to go about this. People are not interested and they don't want to see it.

If you think your claims have grounds, the best thing to do is turn to Unity with your complaint. You have been pointing at the agreements. If you are right - and I trust you are certain of that - I'm sure Unity will take care of the situation for you. You will save everyone from the hassle, and also get things sorted for all the Asset Store customers.

There is no point in shouting up and down in the community and hoping that the situation will magically sort itself. You will just make things worse for yourself.
    I think it's also against the rules (https://forum.unity.com/threads/unity-developer-network-rules.151486/).

I hope it will all work out for the best!

TeagansDad and Mark_01 like this.
  50. derkoi

derkoi

Eugh, I only got around to using Gena once or twice. Don't really feel like upgrading, I just bought the path tool.

Ne0mega likes this.