Search Unity

1. Good news ✨ We have more Unite Now videos available for you to watch on-demand! Come check them out and ask our experts any questions!
    Dismiss Notice

GeNa - Sophisticated procedural content spawner

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by AdamGoodrich, Oct 22, 2016.

1. AdamGoodrich

AdamGoodrich

2. Magic73

Magic73

Hi Adam,
    I just bought Gena (I had Gaia also).
    I saw your videos, about the tree moving with the wind.. which asset have you used?

May you write down a list of your preferred asset by type? (I saw that you imported Tenkoku and Aquas)

S4G4N likes this.
  3. zenGarden

zenGarden

AdamGoodrich and S4G4N like this.
  4. AdamGoodrich

AdamGoodrich

zenGarden likes this.
  5. overburn404

overburn404

Hey, nice plugin!
    I have a question though - do I get any performance penalties if I use it to manually create say a city? Basically my train of thought is that I could create a spawner for each building type. Is that advisable?

6. AdamGoodrich

AdamGoodrich

No problems at all.

7. turboscalpeur

turboscalpeur

Spawned some Rocks and all the Grass with Gena :)

Full Description of the Assets used link >>>

8. zenGarden

zenGarden

It looks like disco grass.

9. Deleted User

Deleted User

Is this purely for terrain or best use with terrain? What are the differences (or what is superior) between GeNa and Octave3D and ProGrids 2?

S4G4N likes this.
  10. AdamGoodrich

AdamGoodrich

Works equally well with meshes as it does with terrain.

Have no idea what the differences are, nor do I feel that is my role to go and do your research for you.

What I can say is that GeNa is easy to set up, fast, and very powerful. Every AAA studio I have shown it to now uses it for their levels.

Last edited: May 14, 2017
  11. S4G4N

S4G4N

They are 3 completely different products with very different uses and purposes

12. Deleted User

Deleted User

Well I need something for spawning objects, designing levels etc. I think ProGrids 2 is the least capable, which is only a grid system while Octave3D and GeNa look similar. Octave3D has a grid system and a manual placement option while GeNa seems to focus more on terrain (not saying it is not usable for hard surface levels) and this lightning optimization which I didn't really understand what exactly will be better time and performance wise.

Or could you tell me as someone who is not the owner of any of these assets what would be the best for what (best via PM so I am not misusing this thread here).

S4G4N likes this.
  13. S4G4N

S4G4N

Cool, responding to you just now :)

Deleted User likes this.
  14. AdamGoodrich

AdamGoodrich

I would happily recommend someone if I knew. Perhaps Cobus @S4G4N would be interested to respond.

With respect to Gaia vs GeNa there is a comparison here in the first post: https://forum.unity3d.com/threads/gena-sophisticated-procedural-content-spawner.437566/

And a bunch of video's of GeNa in action here :

The lighting optimisation is pretty massive. Baking lighting on scenes with lots of objects takes hours to days. This reduces that to almost nothing. Also, for scenes with large numbers of small objects, for example rocks, lightmap baking is worse form for performance vs light probes.

15. S4G4N

S4G4N

Gena provides a random, natural looking end result.
    Stuff like rocks, grass, trees, pebbles, rocks cliffs and the cool POI (Point of Interest) that can be grabbed from Gaia and 12 more that is included in the Village Exteriors Kit
    It is easy for anyone to go place stuff in rows, but to place them so they look nice and natural is a very different story. You will have a HUGE amount of control via the settings that that you still have a creative influence.

Octave3D can be used to place individual random items, but it's main usage I would say is almost like a level editor where the artwork is a very well designed modular package like my Village Interiors Kit that was used in his demo video

Progrids 2 is a purely grid based placement system with VERY limited functions in comparison.

Hope this helps

16. Deleted User

Deleted User

Thanks for your detailed comparison, both seem to be the best level design assets, one with more focus on exterior while the other for interior. Your 3D models look great by the way, will also have a look at them. :)

S4G4N likes this.
  17. AdamGoodrich

AdamGoodrich

Crowfall, one of the most anticipated MMO's of 2017 recently had a big reveal of their new graphical update, and I spent some time with their lead environmental artist Jon O'Neal last weekend.

I was literally gobsmacked (is that a word?) about how heavily they were using Gaia, GeNa, and Pegasus, and they are also now using our new (soon to be released) shader.

In this video, the terrain and texturing was done with Gaia 1.5, general environmental spawning was done with GeNa, the terrain shading was with our new shader (just into beta yesterday), and the character and camera movement was Pegasus. Incidentally, @chingwa, the lighting and weather is Tenkoku.

Was so wrapped to be able to help such amazing talent to do such cool stuff!

18. lorddanger

lorddanger

Are There any setting up tuts for gena

19. AdamGoodrich

AdamGoodrich

20. recon0303

recon0303

Well Pro Grids 2 and tools like this also Snazzy Grids are for UI, meshes placement, by hand. Sure Gena you can place stuff by hand, but Pro Grids and Snappy use Grids. Gena is a completely different tool, I still use Snazz y Grids, if I want to place UI menu's and other level design aspects by hand, than I have it installed. But I use GENA to place objects like Trees, Cliffs, and other meshes either in run time or not. For example... Say I HAVE a pile of Junk. Typically I would make it in MAYA and place each object in its place. Not very realistic is it?? It can be but very time consuming...With GENA I can model the Junk pieces, then drop from a few meters above and use GENA and physics to place this objects making it feel more natural as if the pieces where naturally place there Also using gravity which is nice. So much to this tool for level design and world building its crazy.... We are using it for our future Steam release, I also used it for my other open World Mobile game which has saved me count less hours. Now I can model what I need do, instead of setting up in Maya, I can just let Gena do some of the work.. Which I added to my work flow saving me alot of time..
    .. Hope this makes sense...

With Pro GRIDS and Snazzy, tools Grids, its just a grid you snap objects , textures etc to.. Which is still useful, but completely different tools.. Can't comment on Octave3d, never used. I still use Snazzy Grids, which is like Pro Grids, for UI and if I want to move something a certain way and this is by choice, since I like many tools in my tool box to do what I want, when I want...Just like I don't use just one Terrain tool, I own just about all of the popular ones... As I like each one for different games and depends what I'm making..or doing... This goes for many tools I use ... Gena is still my favorite tool for Level Design and World Building, my opinion, its Adam's best tool he has made, no offense to his others they are great too, but I find Gena I use the most, and I don't see anyone coming close to competing with it. no offense to other tools, they don't look as good as this at all.... I used some of them as well... and I do not anymore since GENA was released......Teams I worked with LOVE Gena, I have people actually asking to do level design, before so many would run from it.

.. Its not like my terrain tools where I use more than one...Gena I use that and only that... as I said Snazzy tools is a different tool....

Hope this helps .

Last edited: May 23, 2017
    TheSeawolf and AdamGoodrich like this.
  21. AdamGoodrich

AdamGoodrich

Thanks for taking the time to write this @recon0303

recon0303 likes this.
  22. recon0303

recon0303

Looks way better than in earlier beta's and yes I know it was beta. Looking forward to them showing the BETA testers more of this hopefully soon. I been a beta tester and been a part of a few MMORPG developments, so I tend to be critical of them today since so many do such a bad job. with seeing this, its looking up. Thankfully.) Nice Job Adam.

PS: I have played and tested nearly every P2P, Sub based MMORPG on the market since 1990's UO and Asheron Call 1 was my first. If Crow Fall keeps this up, they should do really well. We are due for a good MMORPG to be made again... Its been awhile.

Last edited: May 23, 2017
    AdamGoodrich likes this.
  23. Fabbs

Fabbs

Hello sir, i have two problems with Gena right now that i would love some help to sort out, first one and most important is that everything i spawn gets spawned like 20 units up in the air, i have tried every spawn criteria i can find and nothing changes this, otherwise it works fine. My second problem lies with using Gena with Advanced foliage shader 5, when spawning foliage with Gena it breaks all the touch bending interactions, you have any quick solution to that? Love your work, Thanks! /Fabian

24. AdamGoodrich

AdamGoodrich

Sounds like your prefabs are not set up correctly. Go into the GeNa spawn prototypes, and set the min and max Y position offset to 0.

I haven't used it, but doubt GeNa has anything to do with it. All GeNa does is spawn things in your scene - either as an instantiated prefab, or a terrain instance.

Are you spawing as the correct thing.. for example.. should it be an instantiated prefab or a terrain tree for example ?

Let me know how you go.

25. Hikiko66

Hikiko66

Yeah, it needs to be instantiated as a game object, not through the terrain system.

26. docsavage

docsavage

Hi Adam,

Not sure about this not being a bug as I had the same problem when just playing around with the system recently. A bunch of rocks where all floating about 50m above ground. Checking prefabs were at zero was one of first things checked. I didn't report as thought it could be just an anomoly. I was using one of the recent 5.6 patches. Sounds crazy but could have been something in unity that broke it as I've used this version of Gena with no problems before. Unity has released a new patch today so that would be worth trying to see how it goes.

BTW - I know gaia 2 is a priority but would still love to see the exploding physics addition to the system. So can place objects as though they had been in an explosion. That would make some scene creation so easy. Also an 'undo' last placed object/spawn in addition to the one already there would be mega useful.

AdamGoodrich likes this.
  27. llamaeric

llamaeric

Hey Adam, love this product as it's saved me so much time with how powerful it is using image masks to place assets where I want. :)

I have a question: Is there a way to spawn the same trees in the same place twice in a row?
    I've tested using the same Spawn Seed, but it resulted in completely different tree spawned locations.
    I essentially want to "save" a particular spawn of trees that I like, and in the future be able to spawn the exact same trees again on another terrain.

Thanks for any help, and great product.

28. docsavage

docsavage

One of the really nice things about Gena is once objects are spawned you can use them like any other object so you can just drag the spawner parent with all your trees in into the project window/folder and make a prefab to save for use elsewhere.

Hope this helps:)

Mark_01 likes this.
  29. AdamGoodrich

AdamGoodrich

I actually implemented this - and because of the large number of objects that it can spawn - Unity ended up crashing more often than not - so i took it back out.

Hmm.. yeap.. GeNa uses the Unity Random Number Generator, and this is shared across the unity instance and essentially impossible to repeat a pattern as any other use will cause a different outcome.

In hindsight I don't know why I didn't use the one I developed for Gaia. It is a better RNG, is per instance, and is also easily serializable and de-serializable. I will modify GeNa to use this and put a new release out.

Another modification I want to make is a Snapping function... this will make it much easier to place some types of objects.

I have a project I am doing that needs GeNa, so will try and get this out in the next few weeks.

30. AdamGoodrich

AdamGoodrich

Hey everyone - I am pleased to announce that my latest project CTS - Complete Terrain Shader just went live!!

It's a collaboration between NatureManufacture and myself, and we are very proud of it.

Here are some videos that show what it can do !

31. unyunburst

unyunburst

Does GeNa work with Unity 5.6? I am trying to spawn in my project but I can't seem to get either the visualizer to appear or a global spawn to happen. It has a progress bar for a global spawn, but then does nothing. I can't increase the amount of objects spawned beyond 1. It will spawn 1 object, but that is all- no matter the settings to increase the limit/range. Any help is apprieciated.

32. AdamGoodrich

AdamGoodrich

Works beautifully with 5.6. I populate most of my projects with Gena.

The biggest tell tale is the lack of a visualiser. This means GeNa doesnt like your environment for some reason.

Most times this is because of the minimum height setting - check that out and let me know how you go.

unyunburst likes this.
  33. unyunburst

unyunburst

Worked like a charm, Adam. Thank you for your wonderful assets and thanks for your quick and personalized help. I had figured "maybe he would reply in an hour,"..but 4 minutes? A+ dev.

34. AdamGoodrich

AdamGoodrich

Glad you are enjoying. Consider sharing your experience with a written review :)

35. Ninlilizi

Ninlilizi

What would cause everything it spawns to be in the air?

As much as I love the world gone man aesthetic of a floating forest.... I'd really like them to spawn on the dirt.
    How would I do that?

36. Ninlilizi

Ninlilizi

Also, I'm aware of the gravity feature.... I tried using that... But all rolled down the hill and into the sea.... A few of them are on their way into a trans-oceanic crossing right now.

AdamGoodrich likes this.
  37. AdamGoodrich

AdamGoodrich

You need to set the spawn prototype up correctly. Min Position Offset / Max Position Offset Y values in the spawn prototype.

BackwoodsGaming likes this.
  38. Ninlilizi

Ninlilizi

That fixed it.
    Thankies <3

39. Wishymashy

Wishymashy

Hello I'm new here, recently purchased Gaia and Gena and CTS. Have a question well it's more looking for opinions. I built my terrain using Gaia of course but when I try to build a little village I seem having trouble getting Gena to spawn each house and stuff. Is it best to make a new scene and layout the village then try to spawn it on the map location or do I need to just get better trying to build the village right into the terrain.

Last edited: Jul 25, 2017
  40. AdamGoodrich

AdamGoodrich

Sorry did not see this. I have no issues getting GeNa to spawn houses. Can you give me more info ?

41. Shadowing

Shadowing

is there a fix for this warning. I tried fixing it my self but failed to do so lol.

Code (csharp):
    2. Assets/GeNa/Scripts/Editor/SpawnerEditor.cs(1327,33): warning CS0618: `UnityEditor.Handles.ArrowCap(int, UnityEngine.Vector3, UnityEngine.Quaternion, float)' is obsolete: `Use ArrowHandleCap instead'

Code (csharp):
    2. UnityEditor.Handles.ArrowCap(int, UnityEngine.Vector3, UnityEngine.Quaternion, float)' is obsolete: `Use ArrowHandleCap instead

42. BonneCW

BonneCW

Hey, first I want to mention that I use GeNa now for some months and am very happy with it. My levels look really great and it's very easy to use.

But now I found a bug using AssetBundles. My architecture is the following:

I have a terrain which has spawners for it as childs. The terrain is in an AssetBundle and the prefabs used for the spawner are implicit dependencies, so added automatically. When I start this way GeNa can't spawn objects anymore at runtime in the editor. I localized and fixed the bug. The problem ist the following part in Spawner.cs:

Code (CSharp):
    1. #if UNITY_EDITOR
    2.                     go = PrefabUtility.InstantiatePrefab(res.m_prefab) as GameObject;
    3. #else
    4.                     go = Instantiate(res.m_prefab);
    5. #endif
    Always using Instantiate works also with AssetBundles, but PrefabUtility.InstantiatePrefab doesn't. Worked perfectly fine before using AssetBundles btw.

43. AdamGoodrich

AdamGoodrich

Wasn't aware until now - it will be a trivial 5 second thing to fix. Will get a patch shortly.

Interesting - never used it this way. Will look into it.

44. Shadowing

Shadowing

@AdamGoodrich sweet thanks man
    Its the only warning in my console log right now.
    After its fixed will be the first time my project has no warnings :)
    So thats gonna be nice lol.

AdamGoodrich likes this.
  45. AdamGoodrich

AdamGoodrich

Hey everyone - I just launched my new web site!!

http://www.procedural-worlds.com/

If you would like to get access to special monthly newsletters - for subscribers only - then please sign up on the home page (and don't for get to also say yes to the email that is sent as a confirmation).

The plan is to share special information and treats that wont be shared here. I will also be adding forums so that the information accumulated in this thread doesn't get lost as it currently does here.

Please feel free to share your thoughts and I will incorporate what I can.

46. AdamGoodrich

AdamGoodrich

Hey everyone -

As you probably know I have been investing significantly in my web site - and am working on lifting my game across the board.

I monitor these forums but often don't get notified of posts - and as people have said - there is just too much here to wade through.

So - if you want support please go to https://proceduralworlds.freshdesk.com/support/home and log a request. These are tracked and wont fall though the cracks. I am also building up a knowledge base on the support system so chances are the solution to your issue will appear here.

I have also set up a forum system at http://www.procedural-worlds.com/forums/. It's not public in the navigation yet and still needs some theming and tidy up. This will be far more useful than these forums as we can create threads rather than having one big long stream of consciousness as we do here.

I have also created a new mailing list signup on the home page here : http://www.procedural-worlds.com/. This will be a very cool subscribers only news, reviews, tips n tricks & freebies source.

Please take a moment to have a look..

47. AdamGoodrich

AdamGoodrich

GOOD THINGS COME IN THREES
    To celebrate the launch of our new web site Gaia & GeNa are 25% off, and Pegasus is 20% off until the end of August! Get them at a this very special price and sign up for our free monthly news letter to get quality monthly news, reviews, and freebies!! http://www.procedural-worlds.com/
    Grab 20170619080905 w1920h1029 x-275y111z242r306.jpg

Mark_01, runningbird and AndyNeoman like this.
  48. SebastianMaj

SebastianMaj

Hello, I have just purchased GeNa as it seems like a promising asset. I started a new project just to mess around with the asset and I loved it, placed objects quickly and easily. Then I wanted to use it in my main project which is a Space Survival game, so I decided to test manual placement by placing trees on the sun. (https://gyazo.com/2d4a78e7e4526e5cd7a6ea479d0a64d9)
    How could I achieve something like this at runtime but on my planets? They are the same shape just have mountains and such? Thanks!

Last edited: Aug 22, 2017
  49. AndyNeoman

AndyNeoman

Hi All, @AdamGoodrich , is there away to have a spawner object only spawn near another object? I can see you can choose by texture but I have several fruit trees and I would to have fruit spawn around the base randomly and in game if possible.

Last edited: Aug 22, 2017
  50. AdamGoodrich

AdamGoodrich

Hey everyone,

I have a bunch of assets and a bunch of different communication channels - youtube, twitter, facebook, email, and multiple unity forums (which don't give me notifications), so I miss questions, and that's not the level of support I want to provide.

So - if you want a response from me then please go to my website at http://www.procedural-worlds.com/, click on Community and then Support. These request are tracked and won't fall though the cracks. There is also a knowledge base on the support system so chances are your question will already have been answered.

While you are on my home page please also subscribe to my newsletter. Once a month I will be delivering update news, reviews, tips & tricks and any cool freebies I come across, and some that I create specifically for my subscribers.

I will be using the unity forums now more for showing off cool stuff or making announcements.

unityunity