Search Unity

1. Unity 2019.2 is now released.
    Dismiss Notice

GEMM: Generator Extensions for MapMagic

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by Lumos, Jun 17, 2019.

1. Lumos

Lumos

GEMM is a plugin for MapMagic, an extremely powerful library for node-based procedural terrain generation. GEMM adds various generators to MapMagic in order to expand its power, and to dramatically simplify various usage scenarios.

At present, GEMM contains over a dozen generator nodes including:
    • Mux, Demux, Breaker: Allowing you to "multiplex" multiple data streams you wish to process through the same nodes;
    • Slice: Partition masks with arbitrary precision;
    • Stratify: Separating objects into different groups according to multiple masks;
    • Once, Scatter Once, Several: When you need absolute control over the exact number of objects you want to spawn and/or where they have to be;
    • Randomise Input/Output: Permitting the creation of "branching" graphs controlled by a random seed;
    • Varying Objects/Trees: What's better than populating a forest or scattering objects using just one prefab? Doing it with a lot of prefabs.
    • Scaling Voronoi: Like regular voronoi, except you decide how large the "patches" are;
    • Label: To write notes on, for those cases where your graph is too large to keep solely in your head. It's useful, honest!

All of these are covered in great detail in the docs, and more are planned. Use this thread for any questions, to report problems, or to suggest new generators. Alternatively, you can also shoot me an email at tools@zerovector.eu.

Demo:

Last edited: Jun 17, 2019
  2. DiscoFever

DiscoFever

Looking really interesting ! Can it work in conjunction with VegetationStudio Pro ?

3. Lumos

Lumos

I don't own VS Pro, but if MapMagic works with it, so does this plugin. GEMM only adds generators that take in and spit out the same types of data that MapMagic uses, so there shouldn't be any issues when using your special outputs for VS Pro. (On the off-chance there issues do exist, let me know and I'll look into it.)

4. sekever-n00b

sekever-n00b

Nice, this is gona be very enjoyable!
    Other than that, i don own the plugin yet, ...would it be possible to scatter objects above and under the sea level (or few more levels)? Currently I cant do both at the same time.

5. sekever-n00b

sekever-n00b

Ehh.. just found it out, only the scatter density has to 100x higher than usual

6. Lumos

Lumos

I'm not entirely sure what you mean by "above and under the sea level", but yes, the regular Scatter node has its density equal to the number of objects in a square kilometer. That's perfect for scattering a large amount of objects, but it's certainly not too precise when you wish to place only several of them, which is why the extra object placement nodes added by this plugin directly require the number of objects you need, not a per-km² density.

7. sekever-n00b

sekever-n00b

Now that i have plug in, Scattering node work quite normal for Sand output... and terrain neighbors are stitching. Any way nothing to complain.
    But nice work on the new nodes, there will be some new possibilities not just for trees

8. Lumos

Lumos

Thank you!

9. kilik128

kilik128

Mux, Demux, look very cool i'am fan of mapmagic and place object is can be complexe

so i have some question

it's working with biome ?

and gpu addon ?

10. Lumos

Lumos

Yes, all new nodes can be used inside a biome just like you'd use regular ones. As for a "GPU addon", I'm not sure what you mean. If you're talking about the GPU Instancer, then yes, the outputs of this plugin are also supported by it. You may need to make a manual change to one of the GPU Instancer files in order to have the varying trees/objects outputs register with the Instancer whilst it's building its list of prefabs, but it's nothing complicated.

11. kilik128

kilik128

12. Lumos

Lumos