Search Unity

GearVR: Stereoscopic with separate left/right eyes rendering black

Discussion in 'AR/VR (XR) Discussion' started by vfxaaron, May 29, 2018.

1. vfxaaron

vfxaaron

I'm using Unity 5.6.3p2, trying to use layer culling and 2 cameras set to left / right eyes to display stereoscopic images and/or video.

This works fine when previewing on Oculus Rift.

However, when I build the APK and send it to the Android device, I only see a black screen. On Android, it works fine with one camera's target eye set to "Both", but when I set a camera's target to "Left" or "Right" it renders black on Android.

I have seen similar issues in the forums and have tried using recommended solutions, without success.

*In player settings "Multithreaded Rendering" is enabled, and Stereoscopic Rendering is set to "Multi Pass".
    *Minimum API level is 7.0(API level 24). I'm following all the guidelines listed for Mobile development for GearVR.
    *Have tried multiple combinations of player & camera settings (including clear flags, rendering path etc.).

For now I am using a shader workaround, found online, which renders separately to left / right eyes. This could work, but I'd like to have the option of using the Editor to achieve the same effect. (and yes, that's likely more expensive)

Please advise. Thank you!

2. jcb8793

jcb8793

Hey man, did you find a solution for this? Running into the same problems in Oculus Go.

Thanks!

3. JDMulti

JDMulti

Looks like this bug has returned again. Today I did a test to check if 2018.2 is bug free for Samsung GearVR, however it turned out it's broken and unusable. I wonder if anyone has success using this version of Unity for Oculus mobile VR.

I tried to build an APK and what I get is the stereoscopic view that needs to span the whole screen (1 part left 1 part right) is now only on 1 part of the screen. It's like I have 4 views of which 2 are on the left side and 2 on the right, however the right side it is all black.

I do wonder if Unity actually includes mobile VR tests before shipping something, because often there are bugs in mobile builds while the editor just runs fine.

4. GearVR

GearVR

Hi vfxaaron, JDMulti

Can you PM me a sample application. I'm with Samsung's game developer support and relation team and can look into any VR-related issues.

Thanks