Search Unity

GearVR and Stereo Cubemap images

Discussion in 'AR/VR (XR) Discussion' started by Thiago-Crawford, Nov 18, 2015.

1. Thiago-Crawford

Thiago-Crawford

Hi,

I am developing something for the GearVR and I need to be able to load Stereo Cube environment images.

The usual outputs are a long strip of 12 images (2 cubes, 6 faces per cube), when I try to load such a long image to a Texture2D, I get the following error...

I dont want to load the entire texture to use as is, but to split it at runtime as needed, into 12 different images.

- I tried using the unsupported System.Drawing.dll, which worked fine on windows, but not on Android.

Does anyone have any idea how this can be done in Unity Android? Plugin that does it anywhere? Or a way to get the image into Color32[] i can use etc etc

Thanks

Sample Image Structure:

Sorry for the repeat thread, it's just there platforms (GearVR & Android) are kinda mixed.
    http://forum.unity3d.com/threads/gearvr-and-stereo-cubemap-images.368648/

Last edited: Nov 18, 2015
  2. Daniel-mayles

Daniel-mayles

We had a similar issue, our solution was to make a tool that would split the 12 images into two images (one for the left eye and one for the right) before loading them into unity. If you did find a way to split the images at run time that would be great to hear! :)

3. Fintel

Fintel

Hey Daniel.

I've just recently started getting into unity and gear vr development and since you've gotten the stereo cubemaps to work I am wondering if you could help me just to get a singular cubemap to render in Unity. I must be missing something and I don't know what. I can get photospheres and the like to work in stereo but cubemaps remain a mystery to me. So I thought I would start just with a singular cubemap first.

The only thing that I have gotten to work is a standard 6 x 1 cubemap with Skybox. If I want to get stereo cubemaps to work then I can't use Skyboxes from what I have gathered from the documentation. What I need help with is to render a cubemap somewhere / somehow else other than a skybox.

If you could point me in the right direction that would be great.
    Sorry for the noobness.

4. knall_frosch

knall_frosch