Search Unity

GearVR 360 videos

Discussion in 'AR/VR (XR) Discussion' started by GilAsher, Mar 31, 2015.

1. GilAsher

GilAsher

Hey guys,
    Does anyone have a working solution for playing panoramic videos on the gear?
    My videos are pretty high res (almost 4K), and so far I have failed evey attempt to get them working on the gear... I even tried playing the videos with the Easy movie texture asset, which works great on the Note 4 normally, but refuses to play with the Gear...

Any tips or ideas?

Many thanks

2. JDMulti

JDMulti

I have no clue either. I tried movie textures, but that isn't possible on mobile devices. Then the movie solution for mobile devices only plays the video externally and not inside your 3d scene. I was thinking about to buy the asset solution you had, but as you described that didn't work, I have no other solution else then image sequences to do it. But you don't want 4k image sequence of 1 minute to be imported, because you'll be waiting days to finisht he importing. :S

I hope there is another solution.

3. GilAsher

GilAsher

No one has any helpfull information?

4. scottunity

scottunity

A few notes:
    From Carmack. Limit Gear VR panoramic videos to 3840x1920 resolution @ 30 fps. 4096x2048 and 4000x2000 are causing problems.

Are you looking to simply play them in VR with one of the existing video apps?
    These typically require placing the videos in specific folder locations with specific naming conventions.
    Most players expecting 360 x 180 degrees so you'll have to fill with black if yours are smaller.
    I don't have a Gear VR at the moment. Take a look at the file directory of any videos that your downloaded or can play on Gear VR. Check their size and naming as well as folder.