Search Unity

Gear VR optimizations on Samsung?

Discussion in 'AR/VR (XR) Discussion' started by Gphysono, Dec 31, 2016.

1. Gphysono

Gphysono

I'm not new to programming, but I am new to Unity. I am developing a Gear VR app and testing it with my Samsung Galaxy 7 (Gingerbread)
    I have a small terrain with the pixel error sep up to 70 and textured with a 256x256 RGB image. No grass and a couple of low poly tree meshes.
    The framerate on the phone barely gets above 30fps and I'm looking for other optimizations I can do.
    Help!

2. Polymorphik

Polymorphik

Is the device getting hot? If so GearVR has some safety features that lock the FPS from 60 to 30. Check to see if your device is getting warm. I have had this issue A LOT with the Google Pixel phone.

3. Selzier

Selzier

Sounds like a traditional Unity setup with dynamic lights. In mobile VR, you pretty much can't use per-pixel lighting effects like dynamic lights, bump, spec maps etc. Unity terrain are pretty high poly as well, may need to turn into a normal mesh and reduce tris. Bake your lighting (only baked lighting) and use legacy vertex lit rendering if you need dynamic lights.

FingerInd and Polymorphik like this.
  4. Gphysono

Gphysono

I've heard a lot of negative things about terrain objects. I take it they aren't cooked down to a mesh during compile time?

5. Gphysono

Gphysono

The device isn't overheating - I can go above 30, it just doesn't go much above it very often.
    I will try using only meshes and baked lighting.