Search Unity

Gear VR Note 4, Android 5.0.1, SD Card issue, wont install, reported! 701608

Discussion in 'AR/VR (XR) Discussion' started by JDMulti, Jun 3, 2015.

1. JDMulti

JDMulti

Gear VR project corrupted
    Bug report:

The case
    I'm at a company were we created VR experiences for our Interior and Exterior visualisations for Real Estate.
    A couple of projects we worked on got corrupted out of the blue, here is the case written what's happening.

A project we created did build fine and installed without any issues at day one. I went home and next day I just build the same project again without any modifications. However this time the project build fine as well but after I tried to install it, the Samsung Galaxy Note 4 with Android 5.0.1 crashed the Package installer. Shortly after this happens, the unity editor did confirm me with a "Unable to install" message and 2 error messages in the console. However these error messages didn't tell me any other information then looking at error messages in the console. But there were no other error messages, only warnings like before, but these should not have effect. The same warnings were there when the project did install without any issue.

After I tried to Build and Run within unity, I decided to build the project and install the package manually. But also this time the APK crashed the Package installer within a few seconds.
    Recently I also purchased some Gear VR's with a Samsung Galaxy S6 and those have the same Android OS version. However on those devices the project installs fine, but sometimes the audio get screwed and it looks like it echo's somehow.

Anyways, I got some images of the warnings and two errors that don't seem to make any sense. Also now and then I got a Failed Devices error with Chinese characters. I did read earlier on the forums that this kind of Chines error message was fixed, however it still appears.

Addition information:
    Windows 7
    Unity 4.6.5p4
    Samsung Gear VR with Note 4 won't install
    Samsung Gear VR with S6, installs but sometimes has echoing audio
    Latest Android SDK
    Screenshots, see attachement.

How to solve?
    In the past I was able to solve this project being corrupted by removing the last added assets and again add them from cratch. However in this case, it didn't work and we have at the moment 5 projects of this kind being corrupted and need for a complete redo to make them work again.

I hope someone of Unity can shed a light on this like last time when I repored the Splash Screen bug.
    Thanks in advance and makes things better ;)

Attached Files:

2. JDMulti

JDMulti

I've went trough the whole project again and all textures. I've reimported all textures and found out that after I did this, the project did install again. So the fix is that there is a texture that went corrupted during build. But the strange thing is that the APK did install on Samsung Galaxy S6 without finding anything strange, but on the Note 4 it didn't install at all.

The things I'm concerned about is:
    - Why did the APK installer nog communicate with Unity ( build & run ) about what texture is corrupted or what exactly went wrong? Instead of general message about failing to install and not giving further information?
    - Why did the APK build with a corrupted texture, should it not check it before building or during build to prevent installation crashes?

However I did fix it for this project, but I got 5 others being corrupted of which I need to go trough all textures. The one I submitted with the Bug report should have a corrupt texture and maybe information about what went wrong and how it could be fixed by the Unity Technology dev team.

I hope I've posted enough information go find the exact issue.

3. JDMulti

JDMulti

Issue found!

Android 5.0.1 has issues with external SD Card.
    When you have in the builds settings install location: "prefer external", at random the build apk won't install.
    Change for as long this isn't fixed inside Android the setting: install location to "prefer internal".

I hope this issue will help future Gear VR developers. Took me 2 days to find this problem.

4. JDMulti

JDMulti

I was wondering if the SD-Card issue with Android 5.0.1 is indeed Android only or also a Unity issue. Right now I'm seeing more people having this problem and not a single word on my report yet as well topic.

Force Internal did the trick, but I doubt every android developer hits this same issue, as new android apps I see in the store, install on de SD-Card without issues.

5. TheSleepyPenguin

TheSleepyPenguin

I had the same issue when I had the SD Card that came with the Gear VR installed in my Note 4. Once I removed that card, things worked as expected.