Search Unity

Gear VR Empty Scene Stuck @ 59.29 - 59.44 FPS

Discussion in 'AR/VR (XR) Discussion' started by MadToLove, Dec 24, 2016.

1. MadToLove

MadToLove

I know that oculus minimums for Gear VR are a steady 60 FPS. On my Galaxy S6 in an empty scene with no realtime lights or anything at all except for the OVRdebug info UI running to show me the FPS its stuck at 59.29-59.44 FPS.

If 60 is the minimum but an empty scene is not even 60+ whats up? What am I doing wrong? Its about these SAME numbers with my geometry and baked lighting and sounds aka my whole test scene running its around those same exact #'s.

2. Selzier

Selzier

59 FPS is 60 FPS in this case. I believe the phone is drawing the screen at 60 hz and so is Unity. I think this is just slight deviation in the number displayed, but actually Unity is updating with screen refresh. When I monitor for 60fps, I actually have a buffer of 3-4 FPS so I consider 56 or 57 == 60. Phone will always be doing other, unknown, processes in the background .

3. MadToLove

MadToLove

Ty for the answer I appreciate it. I suppose unless I dip below 56 consistently then I know I need to do some more optimizing.

I wish the OVRdebug or Oculus Remote Manager would somehow show me how many FPS its running at before adjusting for the actual refresh rate of the screen so I could know what my trueish FPS is. Vsync is off on the build so I figured if it was running even better then 60FPS that it could tell me that. Kinda hard to wrap my noggin around the 60 FPS minimum for oculus gear vr if I cant even tell how far above the curve my project runs at on the phone hardware before being adjusted for the refresh rate.

4. Polymorphik

Polymorphik

A plugin might be preventing the game from rendering at anything higher. Do a simple search in your solution for Application.targetFrameRate.

Hope that helps.