Search Unity

Gear VR - camera FOV zoomed in

Discussion in 'AR/VR (XR) Discussion' started by reddo, Oct 27, 2015.

1. reddo

reddo

I understand from the docs and other posts that "Field of view is overridden by the VR Device" and can gather, at least when using native VR, the FOV can't be changed.

I also understand there is a reason for this. However, for the Gear VR the FOV appears too small and everything seems zoomed in, particularly with the camera placed in the centre of a sphere with an inverted 360 degree image mapped to it.

Is it correct that 5.3 will allow the capability for camera FOV to be altered for VR in order to change for certain scenarios?

2. EdBlais

EdBlais

Unity Technologies

Yes, 5.3.0 will allow for FOV changes. There was a lot more work needed to get the same fix into 5.2, so we decided to leave it to 5.3.

3. reddo

reddo

Thanks for the previous response.
    Using 5.3.1 and changed the FOV on the main camera. However there's still no change once built.
    Has the ability to change FOV been implemented in the current version?

4. EdBlais

EdBlais

Unity Technologies

Sorry for the Very delayed response. You can change the FOV of the camera through script after starting the application.

5. reddo

reddo

Thanks for the info Ed

6. zgsmilehappy

zgsmilehappy

hi, Ed unity! I changed the fieldOfView of rightEyeCamera and leftEyeCamera, but it did not work. How should i do ? thanks.

7. rainisto

rainisto

Same question - how can I change the FOV of a VR camera? Manually setting with a script afterwards seems to have no effect - the value changes in the editor but nothing happens in game.

8. leeprobert

leeprobert

This is possible with a startup script and passing in references to the cameras. Then just set the Camera.fieldOfView property to whatever you want.

9. rainisto

rainisto

Lee, I've tried that but the numbers just keep rewritten as soon as one starts to playback the scene. Do you have some special trick in your code that prevents that?

10. leeprobert

leeprobert

Do you have your script in the start method?

11. virtual-studios

virtual-studios

Hi, I have the same problem, default value is 60, what's in the best value for gear VR? Can we change Camera.Stereoseparation too? Which is defined at 0.064, and can't be changed, even in the code?

12. TOES2

TOES2

FOV can no longer be changed (tested in 5.6 beta 11), apparently the perfect FOV for every scenario is 60 and it has been hard-coded into the SDK without any way to override it. :(

13. vrpronyc

vrpronyc

This is really unfortunate. I'm creating a 360 video app where I want the user to have the ability to "zoom in" on the footage. In a 360 video, you can't actually get closer, but you CAN reduce the FOV giving the impression that you've zoomed in.

Any ideas on how to achieve this not that this has been taken away?

14. VRDL

VRDL

Can anyone from Unity perhaps entertain an official answer to this major problem? This is an important feature for a precise VR experience for devices like GearVR.

Based on Ed-Unity answer above, it wasn't working in 5.2, then it was fixed for 5.3, and now it doesn't work anymore in 5.6.

We also contacted Oculus directly, and they said Unity makes FOV immutable after startup. So, is this Unity issue?

aroOon likes this.
  15. binoman

binoman

Using Unity 5.6, I can tell that Gear VR have different default FOV then the editor (60). Anyone know what is it's value?

16. VRDL

VRDL

For Note 4 it's 90. It seems to be different for different phones, but I cannot test it right now.

17. lachlanmcewen

lachlanmcewen

Has anyone been able to get an explanation from Unity as to why they have changed this? Nothing in the 5.6 release notes that I can see. Not cool.

aroOon likes this.
  18. aroOon

aroOon

Yeah, for the effect I'm working on, not being able to change FOV is more nausea-inducing than changing it. I have a camera view slowly growing on top of another camera view, and if the FOV can change, then the two windows will line up, but if not, then they don't.

19. info-360-vid-ca

info-360-vid-ca

Any updates on this? It's impairing our VR experience on Gear VR w/ S7 significantly. Wanting to change this to 100, or 140 for field of view.

20. info-360-vid-ca

info-360-vid-ca

21. Innovine

Innovine

>This has been disabled in 2019.2... all i get is "Cannot set field of view on camera with name "xxx" while VR is enabled."

UNITY WHYYYY?? You put work in here to make this WORSE.

22. halit23

halit23

Hey i need to zoom in and out too. Really why did u hard-coded this and made it unchangeable?