Search Unity

Gear VR - app not get past Splashscreen [ unity 4.6.2 serious issue, totally random, reported! ]

Discussion in 'AR/VR (XR) Discussion' started by JDMulti, Feb 9, 2015.

1. JDMulti

JDMulti

Recently we purchased the Samsung Gear VR headset and I got about everything running on the Galaxy Note 4 when it comes to simple mobile applications. However when I add an OVRPlayerController ( the one included in the mobile SDK ), publish the app, run it in the headset, it loads the Unity Splash screen ( we have no pro version ) and then it gets stuck. The splashscreen stays on screen but the scene included in the build won't start.

I've been reading the whole documentation, searching videos with tutorials and did about everything to fix it. However I wasn't able to let a simple scene run on the Gear VR headset. When it comes to a non-vr app, everything is fine. It seams the OVRPlayerController just won't load in the scene or something.

I've uploaded the simple project to dropbox and included in the map "Builds" the version I tested. I wonder if other people have the same problem when building this project. It's about 21MB, I hope someone can help me to find what causes the application not load the main scene.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/15023634/unity/forum/samsung_gear_vr_test.zip

2. mpastar

mpastar

Having the exact same issue. Followd the tutorial at

HELP!

3. JDMulti

JDMulti

I followed this tutorial for 100%, updates everything ( JDK, Android SDK, Unity 4.6.2 ) created the oculus sig file, copied the project settings and so on. When I publish my app and start it inside the Samsung Gear VR, all I see is the unity 3D logo and there it stays for ages. It just doesn't load the main scene at all.

I'm using: Unity 4.6.2 Pro with Android Free

For anyone to test is they get it working, I've uploaded the project to dropbox which is a result from the video tutorial above.
    https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/15023634/unity/forum/gearvr.zip

Could any Unity user as well Unity Developer shed a light on why this isn't working? I've recreated the project 3 times with both completely different sources for the walktrough and none of them works.

Thanks in advance if someone knows what's wrong.

4. JDMulti

JDMulti

As for anyone having problems with the Samsung Gear VR. Here it comes!

The above project isn't working for 100%. I thought why is this happening so I did the following:

- reopen project
    - remove OVRController
    - added just a simple Camera
    - publish & run

result: Was working fine, however since the camera isn't stereoscopic, the view isn't correct. But hey, it works!!!

Then I did this:

- removed the just added simple Camera
    - added OVRController
    - Publish build & run

result: VR controller was working fine. Wait........ why?????? I removed the previous, added a camera, removed the camera and added OVRController again? Why does it work now?

Conclusion: 0 logical explanation, but if this is how it worked, it's fine but strange to me.

5. JDMulti

JDMulti

All above can be ignored, this is partly true.

IMPORTANT, SOLVED!

OVRController needs to be inside the scene without being a child of another empty or game object. If the OVRController is places inside an empty object, the VR app won't load the main scene at all. This was the only thing I did different from all walktroughs I have followed. However I do not read this problem anywhere in the documentation, at least I didn't found it.

Update!: Seems this issue keeps randomly comming back.

Last edited: Feb 20, 2015
  6. JDMulti

JDMulti

Currently I'm running into a new problem with the Oculus Signature file for Samsung Gear VR.
    Yesterday I've build a project perfectly for my Samsung Note 4 and it works fine.
    Today I open the same project, build the same scene and tested the app. The app starts, loads the Unity Splash ( I have android Free ) and then it's stuck. However I hear my scene audio on the background, but I only see the Unity Splash Screen.

I've had this issue before ( can be seen above ) and this was caused by parenting the OVRController to another GameObject. However this time this isn't the issue and it's for sure 100% Oculus Signature File related together with Unity.
    The same project with the correct signature file just doesn't work anymore on my Samsung Note 4 and the only thing I changed was replacing 10 textures by overwriting them.

My question to Unity Developers...... what's happening here? Why can I build my project at day 1 perfectly and test is without a problem and the 2nd day build it perfectly but it's stuck on the Unity Splash screen while I hear my game running on the background??

It's frustrating and has no logical explaination at all.

I'm not the only having this problem:
    https://forums.oculus.com/viewtopic.php?f=67&t=18032&sid=0ee6bf255735c96d7cec208dc98ad7ae&start=60

However, in my case, the bundle indentifier is correctly set. I'm clueless tbh

Last edited: Feb 19, 2015
  7. JDMulti

JDMulti

I went trough all settings again that are written down in the Oculus mobile vr sdk and nothing helped. So I tought about creating a new project and test that. After some tweaking I found out the following things:

- Build settings was set to ARMv7 + x86 ( even tho I copied the files from the project settings ) so I set it to Armv7 only. Did a build, and it showed me the splash screen forever.

Then I tried this:

- The manifest file contains a default com.Oculus.OculusSample package name. While it worked before without changing this ( not written in the SDK PDF ) I changed this to my package name com.<company>.<app name>. I build again and it didn't work. So I copied the manifest file from my empty project, changed the package name in the xml and it worked out of the box. reason? I have no clue, since the day before it worked on the Note 4 without any issues and the next day the same manifest file was crap.

Conclusion:
    - Manifest somehow corrupted I think. Since I'm the only person working on this project I have no other clue what happened.

8. JDMulti

JDMulti

Unity Devs, read this!

Yesterday I posted a reply ( see above ) that overwriting the manifest xml file fixed the problem that my app didn't get past the Unity Splashscreen ( have Android Free ). Today I opened the exact same project from where I left it, didn't touch anything and did a straight build. I ran this build and got again stuck on the splashscreen while on the background I can hear the audio play.

I'm 100% sure this splashscreen issue is a random problem occuring with the current Unity / Oculus mobile SDK. This issue is with no reason appearing and going away again. I have had issues that the splashscreen was stuck when and did these things that fixed it afterwards. However, doing it again wasn't garantee that it would build again. It's a totally random issue and I think just pure luck that those fixed made it work again.

- OVRController was a child of another game object, unparent it, build and worked
    - Publish settings was set to ARMv7 + X86, changed to ARMv7 only, build again and worked
    - Manifest XML file, removed it, add a clean one, put my package name into it, build and worked
    - Reactivate my Unity Pro license, build again and worked

It's completely random and I'm about getting totally nuts.
    Yesterday we had to cancel a presentation because I wasn't able to build and get my application running, while it worked fine before. I can't rely on this technology as long this issue hasn't been looked into. I need a serious action from Unity about this subject. We bought 2 Unity licenses and 12 Samsung Gear VR's and we can't do anything serious with it before this issue has been fixed.

I've been reading forums on other websites like: Reddit, Samsung, Oculus, and people seem to have this same issue when using Unity Pro with Android Free. In other release notes I have read that this issue should have been fixed, but it isn't.

Bug report Information

Unity Pro 4.6.2f1 + Android Free

Case: 673956
    Link: http://fogbugz.unity3d.com/default.asp?673956_5789eenl64m09ld6

For Bug report I have added the following files:
    Project files: worked before, next day did a new build without touching anything and didn't work

In the folder "Builds" are 2 seperate directories.
    Directory "Working version" with an Android APK that worked Thursday 19 Feb 2015

Directory "Not working version" with an Android APK that doesn't work Friday 20 Feb 2015 ( exact same project, nothing changed, nothing updated, nothing resaved or whatever, 100% exact same project, just another build different day)

I'm not sure why the 2nd APK isn't working and I don't know if this information can be used to track the issue, but in case it can, I included it.

Download files ( 32mb )
    https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/15023634/unity/forum/gearvrissue/Gear VR Examples.zip

Screenshot that I'm using the correct device with correct Oculus signature file:
    https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/15023634/unity/forum/gearvrissue/SamsunGearVrIssue.jpg

Last edited: Feb 20, 2015
  9. JDMulti

JDMulti

Today I contacted Unity Tech department and asked for a Android Pro Trial.
    I rebuild the project with the Android Pro, and worked like a charm.

Seems that Android Free in combination with Gear Vr is not trust worthy at all. Randomly it works or doesn't work. When it doesn't work, it's just stuck on the splash screen while all other of your application runs behind the splashscreen.

At the moment we're forced to purchase Android Pro because otherwise we won't be able to build our projects on a reliable base. I hope they'll fix this issue, so far I haven't got any confirmation about this issue from Unity itself.

Conclusion so far: Android Free and an app build for Gear Vr at random doesn't get past the splashscreen. With Android Pro this isn't a problem. However I didn't check if adding a custom splashscreen with Pro brings back this issue or if this only happens with the Free version Splashscreen.

I hope this topic helps others with the same issue.

10. EdBlais

EdBlais

Unity Technologies

@JDMulti I have tried to reproduce the issue you are seeing using the project that you provided. I have used Unity Pro + Android Pro, Unity Free + Android Free, and Unity Pro + Android Free (the failing case). None of the three license combinations seem to hinder my ability to build and run your project and get past the splash screen every time. Also, both of the project builds that you provided in the builds folder are working on my device.

I am using Editor version 4.6.2p2, but we have also released 4.6.3f1. As I noticed that you were using 4.6.2f1, I decided to look at the Release Notes for the two patches. It appears that in 4.6.2p1, there was a fix on Android for Black Screen on certain Adreno Devices. While this could have been the problem, can you or anyone confirm you do or do not get builds that cannot pass the Splash Screen using either 4.6.2p2 or newer?

11. Perrynow

Perrynow

posted reply back on oculus, This is happening to me also on 4.6.2f1, exactly as described. I will test with 4.6.2p2 now. Am on windows 8.1, running 32bit versions of the sdk and jdk. If I remove vrlib.jar it runs fine, just not stereoscopic

Last edited: Feb 24, 2015
  12. EdBlais

EdBlais

Unity Technologies

@Perrynow If you are able to reproduce on 4.6.2p2, could you file a bug report with your project and include just the number of the report, not the link, in the next post. Thanks

13. Perrynow

Perrynow

4.6.2p2 has the same problem, this time I can create a new project and its working okay (normally it would break again if I did that) but I haven't done anything to my main build and one minute it was fine and now its freezing at the splash.

14. Perrynow

Perrynow

15. Perrynow

Perrynow

okay, bug number is 675201. Hope it helps, I may have introduced a bug somehow but I definitely had the same issue over the last few weeks the others have described, a seemingly random crash at splash that I fixed once by reimporting the ovr integration and once by changing the bundle name, this looks like the same thing and the project was fine before I reopened it and made a minor change.

16. Perrynow

Perrynow

I've got it to work again this time by deleting a hidden object in the hierarchy called 'willow', its been there all week not causing any problems so i have no idea why it should make a difference, I have a feeling the project's going to work fine on your machines with it in there anyway but for me deleting that has fixed the crash this time.

17. JDMulti

JDMulti

I've tested again to be 100% sure about it.

Test case 1:
    Unity 4.6.3f1 Pro
    Android Free
    Result: APK I build didn't get past splashscreen

Test case 2:
    Unity 4.6.3f1 Pro
    Android Pro Trial ( received by Unity support for testing purpose )
    Result: APK i build did work ( sounds fair, since it has not unity splashscreen )

Files:
    Project included Build folder with 2 directories that explain themselves by naming. ( 2 apks, one that works, one that doesn't) 31 MB
    https://www.dropbox.com/s/8t9pi75jsdd2j2g/Gear VR Examples 4.6.3.zip?dl=0

Maybe it a good test to download these files since I updated them included with new APK builds. I did read there is a program on Oculus forums that injects a signature file into the APK. Maybe you can test that and run on your device. I don't know how you test the APK's, but maybe an emulator isn't a good test case but an actual device is. Not sure tho which way you use for testing. But I'm 100% sure the Android Free has something to do with it or maybe something else is screwing it up.

Things I checked:
    JDK installed is 64 bit
    Android SDK latest updates
    Oculus latest Mobile SDK
    Unity 4.6.3f1 Pro installed
    Windows 7 64 bit

If you need any further information from me, let me know.

18. EdBlais

EdBlais

Unity Technologies

@JDMulti I just tested the projects included in the builds folder on a Samsung Galaxy S4. I installed them on the Device using adb install and then I ran using the Gear VR Headset. Both the Not working version .apk and the Working Version .apk ran without stopping at the splash screen. I will try building the project with my own signature file on 4.6.3f1 again today and I will try running @Perrynow 's project on the same version as well.

This definitely sounds like an issue with the licensing, though I am curious as to why I am able to run your Not working .apk file on my device while you are unable to on yours.

19. EdBlais

EdBlais

Unity Technologies

@JDMulti I have been able to Reproduce the issue using your project and Unity Pro + Android Free. Thanks for submitting that. I will post again on both the Unity and Oculus Forum when I have resolved the issue.

mateiasu and JDMulti like this.
  20. justlike

justlike

I am using unity free 4.6.2, when I build for gearVR, if I don't uncheck, then recheck "Use Camera Texture", under the OVRCameraController, then save before I build, the build will crash and instead launch the Oculus App.

edit: downloading 4.6.3 now and will test again

21. JDMulti

JDMulti

Pfew, I'm really glad about this and worth all the hazzle, posting and uploading projects :)
    It's indeed really strange that a not-working app did work at your device, but not on mine. I really would like to hear what caused all this if you are able to find the problem. Thanks a lot for looking into this issue so far.

22. Adam-Bailey

Adam-Bailey

Don't know if this is useful, but I have encountered this a few times myself, and up to now it seems to happen after I have moved the OVRPlayerController inside the editor (although not every time).

Deleting the OVRPlayerController and adding a new copy of it to the scene has, at least up to now, solved the issue.

23. EdBlais

EdBlais

Unity Technologies

Last edited: Mar 2, 2015
  24. Don-Whitaker

Don-Whitaker

I have definitely seen the problem while using 4.6.3p1 - working with a project that was already having the issue. In the process of trying to fix the problem I had uninstalled all copies of Unity then re-installed 4.6.3p1. The problem persisted. Yesterday I saw Adam Baily's post (#22 above) and deleted my OVRCameraController and replaced it in my scene. The problem disappeared and I've been working with it for 24 hours with no problems.

Using WIndows 8.1, Unity Pro (subscription) and Android free.

Last edited: Mar 3, 2015
  25. JDMulti

JDMulti

I'll try as soon as possible. Sorry I can't test it right now, because the server where my test project is on ( at work ) has crashed. But today or tomorrow I'll have it restored and I'll reply for sure. Sorry for not being able to answer it now =(

26. EdBlais

EdBlais

Unity Technologies

@Don Whitaker If this happens to you again, please post what you changed/did in the editor before building.

27. Don-Whitaker

Don-Whitaker

For sure. I have been keeping a close eye on it. So far so good.

I did try a fresh project to test and it is working, too. I will tinker with that tonight and see if I can break it. :)

28. JDMulti

JDMulti

I've tested the Gear VR example project I uploaded to Dropbox, and it works now. I've been checking it a couple of times and haven't had a failing APK again. For now I keep trying to build with Android Free and see if it breaks in the couple of weeks. But for now, it seems to be fixed. Thanks for the support and sorry I couldn't test it earlier.

29. sstephane

sstephane

It works for me too on Unity 4.6.3p3 free and pro without android pro, thanks ! :)

At the time Unity 5 was released I tested the personal edition with the mobile SDK 0.4.3 and it did not work. Any idea why ? Maybe the same reasons. I know the plan is to support natively the Oculus SDK in Unity 5 but in the meantime it would be wonderful if it works the same way it does on the 4.6.3.

30. EdBlais

EdBlais

Unity Technologies

Unity 5.0.0f4 has an issue that causes all GearVR applications built with this version to crash on startup. We have resolved the issue and a fix will be included in 5.0.0p2.

31. sstephane

sstephane

Ok thanks ! Can't wait for the 5p2 release then :)

32. aunymoons

aunymoons

I have followed every single step described in this thread and in the official oculus forum to no avail, i already installed the 5p2 patch and have the correct version of the SDK running, i have tried everything, ive followed every single step to the point and i still get any new project and any new scene configured and signed to crash right after the freaking unity splash screen. its utterly frustrating to see how many people are getting this same issue and having a patch that still doesn't fix it for some. anyone has any other ideas why it would still be crashing even after patching and redoing everything to the smallest detail?

33. eoniantech

eoniantech

I'm having the exact same problem. Tried with 4.6 and p2 (even p3) version. change the splash screen (I have android pro). Nothing help : logo and then Crash
    My OS is windows 8 but the same problem occurred on a OSX..

As soon as I remove the OVR camera and put a regular one it works.

It seem definitively link to OVR integration in unity for me. as idding a OVR camera crash the app 100% of the time and changing it for a regular camera does not.

We need help (and consistency too !)

34. vicator

vicator

Hi,
    same problem here. Splash screen, then displays Gear VR homescreen instead.

Edit #2:
    Solved by forcing OpenGL ES 2.0 in Unity and editing the Manifest file.

See here:
    https://forums.oculus.com/viewtopic.php?f=67&t=21185&p=258403#p258403

Edit #1:
    I did not install the oculussig file. When installing the left eye displays what it should, but the right eye flickers between a "correct" right eye and a stretched splashscreen including a logo.

Tech details:
    Unity 5.0.0p2 (Unity Pro, Android Pro)
    ovr_mobile_sdk_0.4.3.1
    Galaxy Note 4 (SM-N910F, 4.4.4)
    Windows 7 64 bit

See the attached logfiles run with the following options: adb logcat -s Unity ActivityManager PackageManager dalvikvm DEBUG

After installing the signature file:
    debug_7.txt = Unity 5.0.0p3 after having installed sigfile

Before installing the signature file:
    debug_install_run_dump.txt = Unity 5.0.0p3 Install and initial run with dump/stack trace
    debug.txt = Unity 5.0.0p2
    debug_5.0.0p3.txt = Unity 5.0.0p3

Attached Files:

Last edited: Mar 29, 2015
  35. unityjg

unityjg

Hi!

i have the same problem. The app crashes on the startup. I have Unity 5.0.1f1 with Unity pro and Android pro. I have tried to change the android manifest and force OpenGL 2, but the problem continues.

any solution for this?

36. ozoner

ozoner

Same issue here. I have sent links to the Oculus boards with small Android projects but I was told that the people on the boards for Oculus do not have access to Samsung HMD's so they could not see the issue. I worked on this isssue for the better part of week. My partners and I decided to not show any more clients Oculus Mobile possibilities (less the one we already have) untill both Unity and Oculus resolve this issue. We have enough client work to keep bussy and will just wait.

OS X 10.10.2
    Unity 5 Pro 5.0 Patch 3
    Unity 5 Pro 5 Android
    Oculus runtime 0.5.1
    Oculus Mobile 0.5.0
    Samsung Note 4
    Samaung Gear HMD

37. haskins

haskins

So I was running into an issue where, after the splash screen, the Unity logo was in the right eye, while the expected VR view was in the left eye.

I isolated the problem down to this setting:

Edit/Project Settings/Player - "Other Settings" - Graphics Level

Setting the graphics level to 3.0 causes the problem for me (I know the internet says 3.0 is right).

I set it to ES 2.0 instead, exported, worked!

It's worth noting that in Build/Android/Texture compression, I have that set to GLES 3.0.

Hope that helps. I've attached a screen shot to illustrate what settings I'm talking about. On the far right is also my distilled workflow for setting up a new project to samsung VR. This process is a huge pain in the ass in general.

*Unity 5.0.1f1 (pro), Android free, mobile SDK 0.5.0

Attached Files:

38. krylorz

krylorz

Hi there,
    I'm experiencing the same error as well. I do a build/run to the Note 4, see the splash screen (which looks like the eyes are flipped, Unity logo is on the right and there is a split down the middle), and then the app crashes. Everything is set up according to the provided standards in the documentation, and the XML file is edited appropriately. I'm running Unity 5 Personal, with Android 5.0 Free. Anybody come up with a solution?

39. timmerish

timmerish

I'll throw in one more thing to try: Help -> Manage Licenses -> Check for Updates. I don't know if that's what fixed the issue for me, as I was trying multiple things simultaneously. Unity 4.6.3f1, was stuck on splash screen with audio playing in background.

Last edited: Jun 17, 2015
  40. lildub

lildub

Hey, anyone experiencing this still? It keeps going to Gear Hub after unity logo

guru20 likes this.
  41. JDMulti

JDMulti

Did you add the Oculus Signature file in your Plugin / Android / Assets folder for the Gear VR?
    Because most people forget this, since it's a small piece of text in the documentation of Oculus that needs to be done.

42. lildub

lildub

I think it has to do with the samsung s6 and there is a bug where ovr doesnt work properly with unity 5+

43. Yog0

Yog0

Hi all.

I'm getting this bug when building with Unity 5.1.1f on a Note 4. Signature file is in place. Builds work fine when Virtual Reality Supported is unchecked in the player settings, but then freeze on the splash screen when Virtual Reality supported is checked.

44. EdBlais

EdBlais

Unity Technologies

@Yog0 Please download the latest patch-release of Unity 5.1 here. The issue was resolved in an earlier patch and will be included in the next official release 5.1.2f1 when that is available.

45. Yog0

Yog0

Thanks. You guys are great.

46. guru20

guru20

I'm not even able to get it to load at all (on 5.1.2p2, Galaxy Note 4 edition of Gear VR)... I got the apk built after changing settings etc., placed the oculussig file in the correct path, it installs the app and, upon execute, prompts to plug into Gear VR.. then... 30 seconds of blackness, followed by the Gear hub/settings menu

Do I need to use the OVR object... can't use native like I can for Oculus? (works fine on DK1 with native 3D, no imported Oculus objects/SDK)

47. EdBlais

EdBlais

Unity Technologies

Update to 5.1.2p3 and see if you get the same issue there. If you do, let us know.

48. sgtkoolaid

sgtkoolaid

i have an issue where it goes straight to samsung store. does not show up in my library but seems as if it loads, but just goes to the samsung store. have clue what the problem is. this is aggrevating.
    I am using the galaxy S6.

edit* would seem it is crashing when it loads.
    I am using 5.3.0b1

edit: another thing I noticed when doing a build and run, whenever I uninstall it, I keep losing more and more space on my phone. seriously what give on that?? anyway to clear out that data where is it located? ** k, solved this by restarting my phone. however it still crashes upon load.

Last edited: Oct 6, 2015
  49. PhilSA

PhilSA

I was still experiencing this issue with Unity 5.2.2p3. For anyone who still has this, here's how I solved it:
    - Removed all antialiasing, including built-in anti-aliasing and "image effect" antialising scripts (lots of people have reported this as the cause of the problem, but this alone didn't solve it for me)
    - Set "Forward" rendering path
    - Disabled "Auto Graphics API" in the Player Settings
    - Removed "OpenGLES3" from Graphics APIs list, leaving only OpenGLES2 (https://i.gyazo.com/d96180899b771faa6b15eceefc371750.png)
    - Set the Minimum API Level to Android 5.1 'Lollipop'
    - Make sure you have the correct oculus signature file(s) in your project https://developer.oculus.com/osig/
    - Here's all my Player Settings and Quality Settings, for reference: https://i.gyazo.com/b84a00ab676359a135a20acce73f9f27.png , https://i.gyazo.com/d59116b73b713c1646f1563a41847076.png

The actual solution is somewhere in these steps. You can try these fixes incrementally to see what truly makes a difference.

Last edited: May 30, 2016
  50. brainsandspace

brainsandspace

After struggling for a while tonight to get past the splash screen, I imported the custom package "CardboardDemoForUnity.unitypackage" and everything worked. Before, I had just copied the Cardboard folder from another unity project into my Assets folder. Idk if this is why it isn't working for others, but I figured it's worth mentioning as a possible solution.

OlegMagarill likes this.