Search Unity

Gear Store empty?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Davkar688, Sep 25, 2020.

1. Davkar688

Davkar688

I am itching to get my hands on a Unity shirt, stickers and of course that coffee mug but it seems that unless you're a lady or a baby you're hosed. Will the Gear store ever be replenished or should I just have someone make me one with their Cricut?

GordonArber and Joe-Censored like this.
  2. Mauri

Mauri

At first I was like "Unity has a merch store?"

Then I googled and found this: https://unity3d.com/gear
    Wow.

Edit: Okay, the link to it is also in the footer. Why did I never saw that *lol*

Joe-Censored likes this.
  3. Joe-Censored

Joe-Censored

Dang, didn't know about this. I want to be one of the cool kids!

edit: Oh no, all the stuff says unavailable :( (maybe I should have actually read the OP)

4. Antypodish

Antypodish

Lol, is this another Unity halve backed preview API? :D

- I want that cup, even is just ugly.
    - How actually you add stuff to cart?
    - Trying to look into cart.
    upload_2020-9-26_1-3-48.png

- What cart?

neginfinity and Joe-Censored like this.
  5. superpig

superpig

Drink more water! Unity Technologies

I went and asked people about this... the items that you see in the store today will not be replenished, BUT that's because we are in the process of switching to a new supplier, who offers a whole new range of fancy schwag. (It will be the same supplier as we use for our internal employee gear, in fact).

Once the new supplier is fully set up, we'll be looking at relaunching the store - currently we're aiming for early 2021.

6. Davkar688

Davkar688

Well that's cool! Looking forward to seeing the new stuff. I did really like the coffee mug though.. reminded me of camping gear. Oh well, the next one may be better! YAY! Thanks for the reply!

superpig likes this.
  7. dvios

dvios

Hurry up with the new Swag!!

8. N1warhead

N1warhead

LOL @superpig just for a joke. You should request to have a Shirt made with a single detail grass quad on it. To antagonize us HDRP people who really want Grasssssssss lol.

9. sakus

sakus

are we there yet?

10. Joe-Censored

Joe-Censored

11. ADNCG

ADNCG

Just have a t-shirt with preview package printed on it. We'll know who you are.

12. LandonHughesLLC

LandonHughesLLC

Since we're now in April, will the gear store be back up soon? I really want to get more shirts and hoodies :)

13. Antypodish

Antypodish

Use 3rd party stores. Don't bother with Unity store. They don't care by what it looks like.

14. Mauri

Mauri

15. superpig

superpig

I've asked internally - probably won't get an answer until after Easter weekend. FWIW I think the original plans got delayed for COVID reasons, but I'll share what I can once I get an update.

Mauri, Martin_H and LandonHughesLLC like this.
  16. Joe-Censored

Joe-Censored

Bump....

17. superpig

superpig

I have bad news :(

The decision has been made to shutter the Gear Store for the time being. Sales were simply too low to justify the overhead and cost of continuing to operate it. Given the number of people in this thread who've said 'I had no idea there was a Gear Store,' perhaps it's not surprising - but alas, it is a fait accompli for now.

If it were any other year, I'd suggest that your best chance of getting your hands on some swag would be to attend an in-person Unity event. Alas, the pandemic means we're not doing those right now, but once the world starts to open back up again, be on the lookout for things happening near you. (And I for one am really looking forward to our next in-person Unite. I miss you all!)

I did hear a rumour that if you run into a member of the Evanglism team and say the secret passphrase "the three tree prefabs nest restlessly" three times quickly, then they are honour-bound to give you some kind of Unity-branded badge or pen - but it's only a rumour, I've no idea if there is any truth to it.

The team responsible for the store are open to the idea of bringing it back in the future, once other priorities are dealt with and we can find a more cost-effective way of running it - but it's unlikely to happen in 2021.

I'm sorry that it's not a better situation. Speaking personally, I find it really heartening that you folks are willing to pay actual cash to get some Unity swag - I just wish we could fulfil that for you!

18. Ryiah

Ryiah

What's preventing them from simply selling a few basic designs through a third party print on demand service like CafePress?

19. xjjon

xjjon

Should bring back the 'free t shirt' for plus/pro subscribers again

stonstad and Joe-Censored like this.
  20. Mauri

Mauri

That's a shame, but quite understandable.

I mean... If something doesn't get advertised in any shape or form, then it's not really a surprise, no. The link to the Gear Store was buried away down in the footer section and I personally never saw any banner or mention of it on any of the unity.com sites (but maybe I was just blind?). That way, it was destined to eventually fail at some point.

Also, Unity events - especially Unite - are great, but not everyone can attend them :(

Hopefully, there will be a solution in the future.

21. Yes! My (barely :rolleyes:) worn T-shirt and barely used (every single morning-coffee) tin coffee cup will rise in value!

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 22, 2021
    Joe-Censored likes this.
  22. yonatanab1

yonatanab1

any updates on this?
    I wanna get some Unity merch but can't find any store

23. After this week's announcement I have a heavily used
    - tin coffee mug (I drank my coffee daily out of it for years)
    - t-shirt, there is a hole in it
    - hoodie (this one is in okay condition, I don't get to use it too often here in California)

I part with them cheap, but the real kicker is the fee the post office will ask.

orb likes this.
  24. yonatanab1

yonatanab1

what was this week's announcement?
    are you joking about the fee blog post or is this a serious comment?

25. yonatanab1

yonatanab1

all I'm looking for is to get unity hoodies and maybe a coffee mug

26. orb

orb

I use mine for paint.

Mine is amazingly whole. Shirts Bought a month ago don't even have that durability!

One of these days I shall wash mine.

27. orb

orb

28. I got it in the last batch, it's already the super-thin junk quality. I have some t-shirts (non-Unity) from 10-15 years ago in pristine quality and I wear them almost weekly.

29. orb

orb

So hard to get quality anything these days. No wonder they dropped it.

30. yonatanab1

yonatanab1