Search Unity

GDPR and Reward videos.

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by nobluff67, Jun 12, 2018.

1. nobluff67

nobluff67

I am making an assumption that consenting to GDPR will provide, in theory, higher ad revenues, as the ads will be more relevant to the users, therefore worth more to the ad partner.

1. Do you think this assumption is true? Or if you don't have a definitive answer, does it make sense that this would be the case?
    If the above assumption is true/or you agree with it:

1. I am only using reward videos, so am thinking to give a reward of 5 if the user accepts GDPR, and 4 if the user declines GDPR. Would you know if this is seen as acceptable?

2. zombiegorilla

zombiegorilla

You are confusing several things. GDPR is a set of regulations in the eu regarding privacy. That is it. The rest of your comments make little or no sense. Things like targeted offers do make much more revenue, and require the user consent for tracking.

3. Moonjump

Moonjump

I think what nobluff67 is trying to say is that if a user agrees to the tracking that GDPR requires is asked for, will that user be more valuable? And if so, is it OK to give them more for a rewarded video?

It is likely to add value as targeted ads are more likely to succeed. But bribing the user for giving up their privacy is unlikely to be seen positively, although I am not sure if it is against the rules (but it seems against the spirit of the rules).

nobluff67 likes this.
  4. nobluff67

nobluff67

Thanks, that is exactly what I was asking. The larger reward seeming like a bribe is a good point so I will remain cautious and provide the same reward. Thanks.

5. nobluff67

nobluff67

Thanks, the bolded part answered one of my questions. The rest was explained by @moonjump

6. zombiegorilla

zombiegorilla

Ah, I see. The user probably won’t be much more valuable to you with video ads, as they are often impression based. Maybe a tiny bit, but probably not significantly. Targeted offers are a huge difference, several times the revenue.

It’s still very early in this whole process, but right now, we are seeing very few people opting out at all. And even with some opting out, it is almost no impact on revenue. It appears that those who are opting out are probably ones who didn’t click on ads before.

nobluff67 likes this.
  7. nobluff67

nobluff67

Thanks.

Sort of have myself in panic mode, running around in circles with all the conflicting information.

I have been trying to find a quick and simple way to only show the consent to EU users, however I am now skipping this check and showing it to everyone. Doing this will at least get my game in the stores and compliant.