Search Unity

GDPR and opting out. Issues with opting out.

Discussion in 'Unity Ads & User Acquisition' started by juliobds, Jul 18, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. juliobds

juliobds

Hi everyone,

I will soon complete one of my latest projects and I am trying to make it fully compliant with GDPR and COPPA.

From the documentation I have read (https://docs.unity3d.com/Manual/UnityAnalyticsDataPrivacy.html), it seems like I only need to provide the user with the "right to be forgotten" since I am currently using Unity Ads with Unity Analytics (On top of linking to the Unity PP from my own PP).

Question 1:
    The documentation speaks of having an "i" button in the Unity Ads to give the user a chance to opt out. I currently don't see that option.
    There is a hand with a check symbol in a shield, but when I tap on it, it only shows me the following text window.

I honestly cannot find the opt-out option. Am I doing something wrong?

Question 2:
    In the same documentation, it is mentioned how to find the link to allow the user to use his "right to be forgotten". But the documentation only takes into account the GDPR plugin. Nowhere is it explained how to get the same link from Unity Ads. Do I need the GDPR plugin to use the following functionality:
    DataPrivacy.FetchPrivacyUrl()

Or is there a way to do the same from Unity Ads like the documentation suggests?

Regards,

J

2. SparklingAir

SparklingAir

Same question 1

3. mikaisomaa

mikaisomaa

Unity Technologies

Hi,

The i-button was changed to the privacy icon. Consent is only asked for during the first run. You can also set consent manually through code: https://unityads.unity3d.com/help/legal/gdpr

Let us know if this page provides all the information you needed.

4. SparklingAir

SparklingAir

Hello, mikaisomaa!
    1. Why this link contains text "Thereafter, the user can click an information button to receive the opt-out again." ?
    2. Is there a swift code for manual implementation ?
    3. The above link does not describe the launch of a opt in/out banner (of Unity Ads SDK). I would like to be able to simply run this banner, and do not do it manually. Since it should contain a special text associated with Unity Ads' work, and also requires localization. Based on the reference manual, Unity Ads had to do this automatically. Because of this, I chose Unity Ads. But it turns out that this is not true.
    4. I tested my application on iOS9 iPad3 with a sandbox user with the specified EU country, but the Unity Ads opt-in banner did not appear. Is it because the user was a sandbox? The test mode was turned off.

5. mikaisomaa

mikaisomaa

Unity Technologies

Hi,

I just tested with a test app to confirm I'm receiving the opt-out dialog each time I press the security icon. You need to scroll down in the dialog to see the opt-in radio buttons.

All our GDPR-consent -related code is available on that link - we don't have a swift-specific example available.

The consent dialog Unity Ads provides is enough to ensure GDPR compliance according to our legal team. Something might not be working properly in your case. The banner / dialog can be invoked from the security icon.

Can you send a support ticket to unityads-support@unity3d.com and provide some more details:

- Which version of the Unity Ads SDK are you using?
    - Which game ID are you using?
    - All of your code responsible for handling Unity Ads

6. SparklingAir

SparklingAir

I use latest stable versions Unity Ads and Xcode.

This is just what I did not see. Only regular ad.

I have exactly the same situation as the author of the post. When I click on the "hand with a shield" icon, the same message as the author of the post appears. I do not see where it's implemented the possibility of refusing to collect user data.

7. mikaisomaa

mikaisomaa

Unity Technologies

Hi,

Apparently this is what appears when a game is COPPA compliant and outside the EEA.

If you want GDPR consent requests to be presented to the user in these cases as well - please reach out to the support and they can do this configuration change for you.

We're updating our documentation to be more clear about this.

8. SparklingAir

SparklingAir

I understand you, but could you show a screenshot of what the consent dialog looks like?

9. AakashDP

AakashDP

Hi mikaisomaa,

I am wondering if its possible to manually opt out through code for Unity Analytics? I'm not using Unity Ads, I checked the link you shared: https://unityads.unity3d.com/help/legal/gdpr and it seems like what I need but it requires Unity Ads.

10. mikaisomaa

mikaisomaa

Unity Technologies

11. aholla

aholla

Hi, all I want to do is add analytics so i can see what is popular in my game. There is no ads or iaps etc...

To collect the analytics, do i need to user to "opt-in"? The unity docs state I need an opt out but I thought they needed to opt-in.

If an opt out button is okay, can this be part of a settings page, or does it have to be the first thing they see or on the title screen etc?

Thanks,
    Adam

12. ap-unity

ap-unity

Unity Technologies

aholla likes this.
  13. Anar11jrboy

Anar11jrboy

Hi,
    I want to opt out from Unity ads, but when i do it it keeps showing me pop-up ads. What should i do ?

Last edited: Oct 29, 2019
  14. Anar11jrboy

Anar11jrboy

Hi,

I want to opt out from Unity ads, but I when do that it keeps showing me ads from Unity ads. What should I do ?

Last edited: Oct 30, 2019
  15. ap-unity

ap-unity

Unity Technologies

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.