Search Unity

Gauging interest in Methodical, a C# code console for Unity

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by MWahnish, May 20, 2014.

1. MWahnish

MWahnish

Hi everyone!

For the past few weeks I've been developing a Unity extension called Methodical. Methodical is a simple to use code console for Unity that allows you to instantly test your code from the editor window, similar to javascript consoles (REPLs) found in modern web browsers. Here's a screenshot!

Currently, Methodical lets you call methods, see their returns, and view the values of variables in a selected monobehavior using a C# - like syntax.

I'm planning on releasing Methodical in a week or two, but in the mean time I wanted to judge interest and get some feedback. What features would you expect in an extension like this? Would you use it?

Many thanks,
    -Mark
    @mark_at_linkage

Last edited: May 20, 2014
  2. TonyLi

TonyLi

What differentiates this from Livity?

3. MWahnish

MWahnish

Thank you for showing me Livity. That is a pretty cool piece of technology!

Judging by the video in the forum post you linked to, the two are very different. From what I can tell, Livity is focused on live code editing. Methodical is not a code editor at all, but instead is a way of interacting with the code you've already written. It is essentially a console window that allows the user to execute individual statements on a selected monobehavior. You can call methods, retrieve values from variables and (as soon as I finish this feature!) be able to assign new values to variables and make temporary new ones. This makes it very easy to test new code and especially new methods.

Methodical uses a C# syntax for accessing variables and methods in the monobehavior. For example, if I had a monobehaviour with an instanced class named "foo" containing the variable "barVariable", I could get its value by writing "foo.barVariable." Similarly, if foo contained a method named "barMethod" I could call it using foo.barMethod(). The return value of barMethod() would be returned to the Methodical console.

Last edited: May 22, 2014
  4. TonyLi

TonyLi

Sounds useful!

5. jedy

jedy

Livity has a builtin REPL, with code completion.

Nevertheless keep up the work. Get crazy creative, I wonder what this could become.

6. MWahnish

MWahnish

Good to know! I will keep working at it!

7. electroflame

electroflame

It's also important to note that from all outward appearances Livity's development is dead, so a tool that's maintained would be welcomed.

It also sounds a lot like Immediate Window, although more refined.

I like the sound of it, definitely will track the thread's progress!