Search Unity

GATT - Original Sci Fi Series (Unity for film)

Discussion in 'Made With Unity' started by R1G_Games, Jan 3, 2021.

1. R1G_Games

R1G_Games

Greetings Unity enthusiasts!

Over the past four months I used Unity's film-making tools (Cinemachine, Timeline, Recorder, etc) to create GATT, an original sci-fi series. As the sole animator on my team, using a realtime engine like Unity made the process of making this 28 minute long pilot episode much more manageable and fun!

Working on GATT taught me a lot more about extending Timeline with custom tracks, working with the HDRP, the ins and outs of the animation system and more. I'm happy to answer any questions, especially if you're planning to create a longer animated segment using Unity as well!

2. khos

khos

I like this idea of this, it could use some better mouth movement, also smoother walking tc, but I like it, really cool work so far! Amazing that one person can do this.
    Curious, how do you do the mouth anim with talking?

3. R1G_Games

R1G_Games

Thanks so much! The mouth anim is done with a Timeline extension I'm working on called FaceBlend:

I've made it so that I can copy paste lines of dialogue into the Timeline which FaceBlend then uses to move around a set of blendshapes on the character model. A similar thing is done for facial expressions and blinking. I'll publish it as a package on Github if you are interested!

4. khos

khos

That is very cool indeed, well done!
    I'd be interested to give you plugin a go, looks useful.
    Maybe you can sell it?!

Have you considered using stereoscopic cameras such as xbox kinects to capture other body movements, could that help with getting more natural body movement? Just wondering.

5. R1G_Games

R1G_Games

Sure thing! Here is the repository: https://github.com/R1G/FaceBlend
    I'm also attaching it as a unity package. Let me know if you have issues or additions you'd like to see!

I hadn't considered stereoscopic cameras, thanks for the tip! It would certainly make my job a lot easier and fit my current workflow. I'll look into it.

Attached Files:

6. khos

khos

Ok, I'll give it a try, I would love to see someone make a complete sci-fi series like this in unity. Post on Netflix or something!
    With the xbox kinect you can record animations to use in your scene, might work well. I tried it but found out you'll need the current camera, not the older ones, they don't connect well to modern Windows 10 well, which sucks.

I have toyed with comic book style stories in the past, but live 3d animation storytelling is quite interesting :).