Search Unity

Garbage Manger strikes again.. with TMP error

Discussion in 'Package Manager' started by Player7, May 9, 2018.

1. Player7

Player7

So I can't even update a project because for some unknown reason on opening the project (that uses TMP source in the assets folder (because it's only way) not that this should have anything to do with this garbage manager from somehow thinking I want com.unity.textmeshpro@1.2.1 being used in the project.. this is with 2018.2b3

The error halting everything really seems to be this....

Assembly has reference to non-existent assembly 'Unity.TextMeshPro' (Packages/com.unity.textmeshpro/Tests/Runtime/Unity.TextMeshPro.Tests.asmdef)

Coming from...
    AppData\Local\Unity\cache\packages\packages.unity.com\com.unity.textmeshpro@1.2.1

Doesn't matter if I delete that folder and open the project again.. it will be recreated with the same S***ty error.

And 1.2.1 isn't even the latest version of TMP so how that's been installed with 2018.2.b3 when the latest ...the last time I checked was 1.2.2!?

All this despite my actual project Packages\manifest.json looking like this

{
    "dependencies": {
    }
    }

See no TMP packaged version even wanted. So why is it being recreated in this broken state with an error for a missing assembly reference??? this is why your package manager is currently just broken junk and further hindrance to game developers in getting anything done because it only needs one broken package thrown in the mix and the whole damn effing thing falls apart. Can't even see the package manager menu, let alone use it to update anything because an error with one package.. talk about fragile.

And whoever the fduck designed the error dialog window that says see please check error.log but can't be bothered to just include a button in the dialog gui to actually open the error.log file or at least the folder it is in (where ever the fuk that is buried) .. real big help NOT

2. Player7

Player7

C:\ProgramData\Unity\cache\packages\packages.unity.com\com.unity.textmeshpro@1.0.26
    C:\ProgramData\Unity\cache\packages\staging-packages.unity.com\com.unity.textmeshpro@1.2.1
    C:\Users\blah\AppData\Local\Unity\cache\packages\packages.unity.com\com.unity.textmeshpro@1.2.1
    C:\ProgramData\Unity\cache\packages\packages.unity.com\com.unity.textmeshpro@1.2.1-
    C:\ProgramData\Unity\cache\packages\packages.unity.com\com.unity.textmeshpro@1.2.2

C:\Users\blah\AppData\Local\Unity\cache\npm\com.unity.textmeshpro\1.2.1
    C:\Users\blah\AppData\Local\Unity\cache\npm\com.unity.textmeshpro\1.2.2

C:\ProgramData\Unity\cache\npm\packages.unity.com\com.unity.textmeshpro\1.0.26
    C:\ProgramData\Unity\cache\npm\packages.unity.com\com.unity.textmeshpro\1.2.1
    C:\ProgramData\Unity\cache\npm\packages.unity.com\com.unity.textmeshpro\1.2.2

C:\ProgramData\Unity\cache\npm\com.unity.textmeshpro
    C:\ProgramData\Unity\cache\npm\staging-packages.unity.com\com.unity.textmeshpro
    C:\ProgramData\Unity\cache\npm\staging-packages.unity.com\staging-packages.unity.com\com.unity.textmeshpro
    C:\Users\blah\AppData\Local\Temp\npm-9152-11cfc5be\download.packages.unity.com\com.unity.textmeshpro
    C:\Users\blah\AppData\Local\Unity\cache\npm\packages.unity.com\com.unity.textmeshpro

That's all the stuff I found for TMP... looks like its been all over the place... have you guys figured out one location you will be dumping everything yet?

And the below is after deleting it all and starting 2018.2.b3 .. it kindly got it dumped into my project...

C:\Users\blah\AppData\Local\Unity\cache\npm\com.unity.textmeshpro
    C:\Users\blah\AppData\Local\Unity\cache\npm\packages.unity.com\com.unity.textmeshpro
    C:\Users\blah\AppData\Local\Unity\cache\packages\packages.unity.com\com.unity.textmeshpro@1.2.1

3. DanielTG

DanielTG

Unity Technologies

Hi @Player7,

Another user ran into a similar issue with the Text Mesh Pro package. Please see this thread for some troubleshooting tips. https://forum.unity.com/threads/error-trying-to-get-textmesh-pro-with-the-package-manager.530563/

If you can please follow the same command line steps suggested by @pedro_unity and share your logs that will help confirm if the problem is similar.

In that case it turned out that deleting the package cache folder (C:\Users\<user name>\AppData\Local\Unity\cache\npm\packages.unity.com), which apparently contained older versions of the packages from the beta cycle, resolved the problem. Although, that was with 2018.1 and not the 2018.2 beta release as if your case.

Did you have any success with 2018.1?

Thanks
    Daniel

4. Player7

Player7

I did already delete all the cache stuff ...the folder addresses listed above anyway, and the issue of it getting an old TMP package on 2018.2.b3 was a problem..

Well see this thread https://forum.unity.com/threads/trivialstuff-to-sort-out-please.530503/ .. but no I haven't been able to test with the final 2018.1 release as I've got to redownload it again today, the project however was last working with an earlier beta of 2018.1 b12 I think..so yeh

5. Stephan_B

Stephan_B

Unity Technologies

@Player7 Are you still having these issues?

If you are using the source code version of TMP and want to prevent the package from being installed, I believe the following changes to the manifest.json should do the trick.

Code (csharp):
    2. {
    3.   "dependencies": {
    4.     "com.unity.textmeshpro": "exclude"
    5.   }
    6. }
    P.S. Make sure you poke me or use @Stephan_B in threads / things related to TMP. This way, I'll be notified and can then try to provide assistance.

Last edited: May 18, 2018
  6. Player7

Player7

Well that is useful to know.. haven't gotten back to this project yet.. really I've only just gotten to the point where Unity is working again at home.

Honestly the whole package manager should have a section in the damn launcher itself so you could manage dependency stuff like that (especially something like that exclude thing) ... for a project before even opening it up in the unity editor where it then abuse you with compiling crap/errors like I've had with this, where the entire package manager gui itself is tied into the compiling of packages etc with an even more absurd situation of the package manager itself becoming unavailable and not even appearing in the menu... that stuff just shouldn't be happening like that in a final release like 2018.1 but here we are ..was released too soon and not fully featured enough imo.