Search Unity

Gaps in Model on import from Blender to Unity

Discussion in 'Asset Importing & Exporting' started by Zaine7673, Feb 12, 2019.

1. Zaine7673

Zaine7673

I can't seem to figure out why I am getting these small gaps in between each body part when importing to unity.

On Blender I have a model which is a single object but the vertices in each body part is assigned to a vertex group.

I'm trying to create a customizable character so if i want a head, I'm simply deleting all other vertices assigned to all other vertex groups except for the head and saving it as a new file.

In the following example, I have a .blender file with just a head and another with just the body (Keep in mind that these were both part of the same model/single object)

When i import both of these to Unity, I end up with this

Capture6.PNG

I've made sure that I've removed all doubles and ensured that there isn't actually any gaps in the model before deleting the unwanted vertices.

Has anyone come across this before?

2. arfish

arfish

Have you tried to make separate parts of the meshes, and save all parts to the same blender file, or .fbx (p in edit mode)?
    Perhaps something happens when the parts are saved to different blender files.

3. kdgalla

kdgalla

I haven't seen this before. I'm just curious- have you looked at the wireframe in Unity to determine if the gap is due to missing geometry, or simply the two body parts being farther apart then in the Blender file?

4. Zaine7673

Zaine7673

That's exactly what i have ended up doing.

I should have probably updated this for those who come across a similar issue.

Issue: A mirror modifier was set to the object but had not been applied. When separating a mesh into separate objects without applying the modifier it leaves these small gaps.

Solution: Apply the modifier or remove it :)

arfish likes this.
  5. Zaine7673

Zaine7673

I have explained the issue and solution above. i hope this helps someone else because it drove me insane for a while lol