Search Unity

1. Unity 2018.3 is now released.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. The Unity Pro & Visual Studio Professional Bundle gives you the tools you need to develop faster & collaborate more efficiently. Learn more.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Our response to Improbable’s blog post (and why you can keep working on your SpatialOS game). Read more here
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Want to provide direct feedback to the Unity team? Join the Unity Advisory Panel.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Improve your Unity skills with a certified instructor in a private, interactive classroom. Watch the overview now.
    Dismiss Notice

Gamma Difference on Oculus Rift Headset - surfaces snap to black

Discussion in 'AR/VR (XR) Discussion' started by nm8shun, Apr 8, 2016.

1. nm8shun

nm8shun

I'm working on a game on the Rift that takes place in low light. In the Editor, as I get the light intensity very low, I can get very near to black without getting all the way there. However, when viewing on the rift, everything is a little brighter (a lot actually) - like the gamma is brighter on the Rift or something.

What this means is that when I try and get the light really low (like a dark blue moonlight (directional light)), as I approach smaller values - the surfaces lit by the light snap to black. I can't see this snapping in the Editor, but because the Rift is brighter, it's very apparent in the headset.

Have I got some setting wrong? I'm working with Deferred and Linear in the Player Settings...but I can't seem to get around this.

2. Qbert3000

Qbert3000

Did you find out what the issue was? I'm having the same problem. When I view a scene in unity with the oculus headset, it's definitely brighter than what I see in the editor. Especially if the lights are realtime - their intensity seem completely off.

3. nm8shun

nm8shun

Nope...still a complete mystery. For any dark scenes, what I see on any screen, and what I see on the Rift is very, very different.

4. Qbert3000

Qbert3000

Forgot to mention , using Unity 5.4 beta - Windows.

5. TheGreatMurph

TheGreatMurph

I'm having this issues also, just wondering if anyone's found a solution or if this is normal behavior.
    using Unity 5.4.0f3

6. raiwin

raiwin