Search Unity

GameSparks Just Updated Their Limits And Pricing. It is MUCH worse than before if you had the indie

Discussion in 'Multiplayer' started by aer0ace, Feb 19, 2019.

1. aer0ace

aer0ace

2. ThySpektre

ThySpektre

So, with Gamesparks now no longer a viable option for indie developers, what option would anyone suggest?

I've been looking at Braincloud, but would love to hear some options.

3. aer0ace

aer0ace

PlayFab is the front runner for me, but I will eventually evaluate Chilli Connect. A rep was promoting it in that reddit thread, and it looks pretty good.

4. wccrawford

wccrawford

5. TheLastVertex

TheLastVertex

I'm using GameSparks at the moment but only have minimal integration at this point. I am looking into alternatives before I move forward.

I don't think the GameSparks price change ($299/month) is actually that bad if you are confident your game can hit the 37k monthly active users. If you can it looks like it would be cheaper than PlayFab ($299/month + $0.008 per MAU). If I understand PlayFab's pricing correctly you don't get any MAU included in that initial $299? So you will end up paying $595+ for PlayFab vs $299 for GameSparks?

Unfortunately if you can't hit that 37k MAU you're just wasting money. Would be nice if there was a pure MAU or API based rate that scales without the upfront cost. That way if you only have a 1000 users you're not paying extra.

Does anyone know how Heroic Labs Nakama scales if you go the open source route? I can't find any information on how many estimated users a single droplet could manage? Looks like scaling is only mentioned if you use their Enterprise / Managed services which are pricier than the alternatives. Is there a way to scale across multiple droplets?

PlayFab free tier is looking mighty tempting if you don't need the additional features.

6. aer0ace

aer0ace