Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

GameSparks deprecated from Asset Store

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Deleted User, Jan 25, 2018.

1. Deleted User

Deleted User

I was interested in incorporating GameSparks into my latest game, but I see that it has been deprecated from the Asset Store. Does anyone have any further information as to why? I don't want to use it if they are not going to continue supporting Unity.

from the Asset Store:
    "Unfortunately, GameSparks is no longer available.

This package has been deprecated from the Asset Store. This means that new purchases of the package are not allowed and that only users who already purchased or downloaded the package before it was deprecated, are allowed to download it.

In most cases, package deprecation happens because the publisher is unable or unwilling to support the package anymore. We suggest looking for alternative packages or contacting the publisher directly."

2. Ryiah

Ryiah

You need an account with GameSparks to use it regardless of where you download it so if I had to guess they're just going to provide it on their website. Latest release was Jan 17th.

https://docs.gamesparks.com/sdk-center/unity.html

3. TalhaDX

TalhaDX

Is it good to use a depreciated tool or plugin?

But the question still stands that GameSparks was one of the top plugin, what just happened?

4. Ryiah

Ryiah

I'll tag the current GameSparks employee (@GameSparks_Clare) that regularly posts on these forums but don't expect an answer much more complex than the one I already gave. By the way the current release is now June 15th. It's very much still actively developed.

Last edited: Jun 25, 2018
  5. adur

adur

If you go to the Gamesparks website it say that they have been acquired by Amazon. Amazon has been pushing into social gaming and eSports, and streaming, buying twitch in 2014. Since then, Amazon has established a number of game studios and licensed the CryEngine source code from Crytek which is the basis for their own in-house engine, Lumberyard. So Gamesparks being now in-house probably means they no will no longer prioritize supporting other engines.

6. Ryiah

Ryiah

I think it's quite a stretch to say that they're probably not going to prioritize supporting other engines when the only evidence available has been that they pulled the download from the Asset Store. Amazon's purchase of the company happened a year ago and since then we've seen no interruptions in updates to their SDKs for all engines.

For that matter if you look at the downloads page they don't even have CryEngine or Lumberyard SDKs.

https://docs.gamesparks.com/sdk-center/

Last edited: Jun 28, 2018
    Meltdown likes this.
  7. Meltdown

Meltdown

Nothing like that... Amazon bought Gamesparks over a year ago and Unity is one of their top-grossing engines for the platform. They will be carrying on, business as usual, nothing changes.

They will simply be providing the SDK straight from their site and not the asset store.

Thousands of Unity games run on GameSparks, some from very well known studios, they are not going anywhere.

Ryiah likes this.
  8. TalhaDX

TalhaDX

I hope so they are not going anywhere.

9. 4455

Kindly give me reference games that completely developed by game park??

10. Ryiah

Ryiah

Google Translate butchered your post. If you're asking for games developed using it, go check the official GameSparks website. They have testimonials from both AAAs and indies.

Meltdown likes this.
  11. 4455

thanks Ryiah