Search Unity

Games for ipod

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by lo, May 29, 2006.

1. lo

lo

2. DaveyJJ

DaveyJJ

I'd say true. Mike Lampell (formerly of LucasArts) is working at Apple (even though the story can't confirm that) these days according to a friend I know in Cupertino.

And this raises a huge and enormously profitable idea/possibility ... what if Unity could be re-jigged to write out games for the future gaming iPod that could then be sold through the iTunes music store!

Indie developers unite!

3. Rincewind

Rincewind

Ho, ho, ho and a bottle of fun :D

4. Lallander

Lallander

Just pod-cast them hehehe :D

5. AaronC

AaronC

What do the OTEE crew think about future podcast support?

6. Lallander

Lallander

Laff, we don't even have any idea what sort of games it would be able to support. It is FAR to early for any official word. Hopefully it will be something easy to swap over from the built in web player. But that is very wishful thinking.

7. dingosmoov

dingosmoov

More details may surface after the WWDC. (speculating :) )

8. AaronC

AaronC

Fair enough, I cant even afford one, so its about going with the consumer flow if Im to become a game creator.All options are good, so long as it doesnt mean sucking up to microsoft

9. dingosmoov

dingosmoov

Apple has only a 2.0% market share worldwide and a 3.6% market share in the U.S. ( http://www.appleinsider.com/article.php?id=1781 )

What do you mean by "sucking up to microsoft"?

If you mean getting your games played by Windows users. I don't mind a little sucking up to microsoft, since the majority of potential game players are running windows.

Developing on the mac is fine. But one of the great things about Unity is outputting to Windows, and more importantly to the webplayer.

IMHO the Unity webplayer will become the most important part of the Unity, as it allows people to play your games on multiple OS's. Also an easy way to track and limit trial versions of your game.

Regarding the iPod, ipod users are not just Mac users. I have a 30GB ipod which i only sync with my Windows machine, and iTunes that I have used on my Windows machine since it's been available.

10. taumel

taumel

>>>Regarding the iPod, ipod users are not just Mac users.<<<

HEY, AND I'M A PEECEE! ;O)

*back to enjoying Episode 1*

Regards,

taumel

11. AaronC

AaronC

Hmmm yeah Im not saying PC's havent contributed to our dynamic world(who would?)But when I think of all that technotrash(old computers) that piles up in attics, recycle bins, backsheds and lately at a concerning rate, countries(check out china making a deal to accept millions of outdated computers, and the effect thats having on the places they're dumped-environmentally/socially) and at the end of it all, I truly believe that if :evil: microsoft :evil: had thought more of the environment and less about profits, these issues would be less of a problem. Maybe I am wrong, and am just seeing things wrong. What I do see is microsoft advertising their office program, student and teacher edition( so you cant legally use it commercially), for $NZ $200, translate to US$400. A bit much for a glorified text editor from a company that makes so much money I reckon.
    Boycott xbox 360, support all competition, take down the machine.
    I will no longer contribute to this thread so go back to the ipod discussion. I hope it becomes a really succesful gaming platform sometime in the near future, and I'd be really excited if Unity was compatible:D

12. taumel

taumel

Calm down, too much paranoia...

13. Lallander

Lallander

If everyone truly is out to get you it stops being paranoia :p

14. taumel

taumel

Stay where you are! Don't even think about coming closer... ;O)