Search Unity

GamePod

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by IamBob, Mar 23, 2006.

?

Should Apple make a "GamePod"?

1. Yes

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. No

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. IamBob

IamBob

Exiled from the UnityOn360 thread I bring you the GamePod...

Basically, a GamePod would be a fancy dock for your iPod. It would have a similar form-factor as the PSP, with similar functionality (video, games!, etc.). You would get (/distribute) your games mainly through iTunes or the internet like people are doing for Music and Video now. You can think of the iPod as the GamePod's UMD disk or game cartridge.

Maybe it has a lower-end PPC, a decent GPU and a trimmed version of OSX on it - w/ an interface similar to FrontRow, perhaps. An iBook, plus− a few bits, in a smaller package. The technical details are fuzzy (it is imaginary, after all) but that sounds semi-plausible and wouldn't be yet another platform exactly...

A side-benefit of using "laptop" parts and OSX like that would be that the games could be Mac compatible from the start and a small back-catalog could already exist. Not sure if that's possible at all but that would be nice and would lend it at least some street-cred. Also, if Mac game==GamePod game then Unity could export GamePod compatible games very easily.

Benefits;
    1) Cheap/easy game distribution.
    2) Plays video on something bigger than a postage stamp, while still being a handheld.
    3) It's not a $350 boombox. :wink:
    4) Indy games could be listed next to big titles in iTunes.
    5) No more cartridges or disks to lose or carry.
    6) Lots of people already have an iPod or other mp3 player/USB HDD.
    7) ???
    8) Profit.

An imaginary "ultimate iPod accessory" - almost a Mac but not quite. What do you think, should Apple do it?

Am I cracked?..don't answer that. :wink:

2. socksy

socksy

You missed out the "perhaps" option.

3. pete

pete

read the other thread too! omg yes you're cracked! but i voted yes anyway! how about a mobilephonepdastreamingvideogamepod with a flipout keyboard? now that'd be cool. oh wait that's a laptop! ok a portable device you can dl games on. oh wait that's a mobile phone! kidding aside, i'm sure an apple device would be slick and well done but they haven't exactly embraced the games market-at least in their marketing. i like the igames distribution idea because of apple's brand being attached but you can already buy games online. i do think you'd need the big guns of the world to get it going. the only reason itunes works is there is so much professional content from big studios. stuff that gets radio play. if it was all indie i don't think it would have caught on. sadly, the big guns of the game world would tell apple to plaster their games all over so they get all the sales. indies would be in the same boat as now. call me jaded if you will. why wouldn't sony and nintendo do something like this? or do they? i've never touched a gb or psp. heck i still play my ps1 ;p

4. dan

dan

5. Sync1B

Sync1B

I dont think they would do a very good job, apple has not been the gaming sort, not to many games even made for mac... (as we all know) I think I would much rather see a tablet then a game pad.

Any one heard any thing about there mysterious tablet, I saw a article on engadget about them taking out a patent, but nothing sinse then...

Bill

6. IamBob

IamBob

I had a perhaps option ("maybe but you're cracked") except it didn't go through, I guess you need to add an empty option after you've got the ones you want or I spaced out and left it blank.

nice link dan. It could be the GamePod they're excited about... :wink:

probably not though. :(

7. taumel

taumel

I can't vote for: I don't care... ;O)