Search Unity

GameObject is referenced to UnityEngine.CoreModule - Addressables 1.2.2

Discussion in 'Addressables' started by pahe4retro, Sep 12, 2019.

1. pahe4retro

pahe4retro

Hi guys.

I'm pretty new to addressables and wanted to integrate the new 1.2.2. package into my custom dll. Now I get the error message:

Code (CSharp):
    1. The type 'GameObject' is defined in an assembly that is not referenced. You must add a reference to assembly 'UnityEngine.CoreModule, Version=0.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=null'.
    I'm referencing the monolithic UnityEngine.dll in my custom dll and it works fine with other stuff. Also referencing the Unity.Addressables and Unity.ResourceManager, so from my understanding, that should work, as when I add the reference to the UnityEngine.CoreModule, I get duplicate symbols for GameObject as expected.

Does anyone reference the addressables dlls in his own dll project and it works for him? When I move my script into my Unity project, it works totally fine.

Thanks for help,
    Patrick

2. pahe4retro

pahe4retro

Adding some more info as I dig deeper into the problem. Interestingly the problem seems only to occur with
    Addressables.ReleaseInstance(GameObject);

Code (CSharp):
    1.         public void LoadAssetbundle<T>(string identifer) where T : UnityEngine.Object
    2.         {
    3.             Addressables.LoadAssetAsync<T>(identifer); // works fine, no error
    4.         }
    6.         public void ReleaseAsset(GameObject gameObject)
    7.         {
    8.             Addressables.ReleaseInstance(gameObject); // NOTE: not fine. wants reference to UnityEngine.CoreModule
    9.         }

Last edited: Sep 16, 2019
  3. pahe4retro

pahe4retro

@unity_bill maybe you have some insights into this? I'm out of ideas how to solve this, except for moving my code into my Unity procect (what I would preferably avoid :) ).

Update: I *guess* the Addressables.ReleaseInstance(GameObject go); function is not present in my monolithic UnityEngine.dll. I'm using 2019.2.4f1, haven't tried a newer version yet, but that may be the problem.

Last edited: Sep 16, 2019
  4. pahe4retro

pahe4retro

Another update: After a lot of searching, I guess I found an answer to my problem here.

TL-DR Unity doesn't support referencing generated dlls from packages officially (yet). So, if you try to reference the Addressables dll from outside of a custom dll project, you're in a bad spot.

Would be nice to hear an update from the Unity guys on this problem though.