Search Unity

GameMaker made with Unity3d

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by VR-Soft, Jun 20, 2018.

1. VR-Soft

VR-Soft

Hey Commulinty,
    I want to make a Gamemaker-Programm that is based on unity and sell it. The Funktions are:
    • Import 3D files
    • Design 3D Objects/ Scene (CAD Like)
    • Pull some Prafabs into the scene like predefined enemies and a Player
    • Hit playbutton and test the game
    ---------------------------------------------------
    you cant scripting or something like that

My QUESTION is: am I allowed to do that, from a legal point of view ?

2. Murgilod

Murgilod

Unless you plan on making the gamemaker in Unity itself, you're fine.

3. Ryiah

Ryiah

If any of the terms in the license would prevent it it would be this one.
    You can find it under section 2.6 at the link below.

https://unity3d.com/legal/terms-of-service/software

4. Kiwasi

Kiwasi

Making a competitor to Unity is one of the few things that are expressly forbidden by the license.

5. VR-Soft

VR-Soft

Okay but unity is a full game engine. In my GameMaker you have only predefined options what you can do. It isnt a competition for unity.

6. Ostwind

Ostwind

Features do not matter. Someone might pick your version instead of Unity because they might not need anything else than yours offers.

7. Player7

Player7

Damn ... I thought someone had found out GameMaker was made in Unity :p

Perhaps someone will make a game maker in unity.. and it will be even better than unity.. complete with overhauled editor with customization preferences on viewport mouse speed settings.

Kiwasi likes this.
  8. AndersMalmgren

AndersMalmgren

Engineception

9. xVergilx

xVergilx

We need to go deeper. Make an Unreal made in Unity made inside Game Maker that was made in Unity.

Joe-Censored and AndersMalmgren like this.
  10. verybinary

verybinary

I know that was a joke, but I just got gears spinning for a non joke
    I will attempt to rebuild Windows 3.1 in Unity

11. xVergilx

xVergilx

Woah. Is boot from DOS in feature list?

12. verybinary

verybinary

Not likely, but cmd from within windows is likely.
    More than likely, it wont be Win3.1 for long because of licensing, but it'll probably turn into an interface for a hacking simulator game, DOS will get converted to bash, etc

xVergilx likes this.
  13. RichardKain

RichardKain

Smile Game Builder

I believe that this piece of software is a "Game Maker" that uses Unity as a base. As near as I can tell, there is nothing stopping them from doing what they are doing. They even sell and distribute a feature for their tool that lets you export your project as a Unity 5.6 project, so that you can then build and deploy your game to different platforms using Unity.

It is worth pointing out that this particular example is very much not a Unity competitor, so much as a Unity extension. They've created a specific game type, and the tools people need to modify the game with very limited customization. It's far more a matter of content generation as opposed to game development.

14. Ryiah

Ryiah

After reading over their website I don't believe that's the case. If Unity were the basis of their engine they would be able to support platforms other than Windows but if you read up on them their engine has to export any game made with it to be imported into Unity and built there.

Furthermore if you download the binary package of their sample game the directory structure is completely different.

http://smilegamebuilder.com/en/sample/

Last edited: Jun 22, 2018
  15. RichardKain

RichardKain

The asset directory structure for Unity is defined by the user. So it can be customized. And if it didn't have any relation to Unity, it wouldn't have a tool for exporting one of their developed games as a Unity project, for building in a version of Unity. Clearly some flavor of Unity was used in the development of this tool.

It is likely that their editing software was developed separately. Unity doesn't really have the kind of access or tools you would need for that sort of thing outside of their own development environment. You could ape that type of functionality in the Unity Editor, but not in the Unity Runtime. But you don't provide a Unity export function for your tool without having some manner of Unity-basis. That type of functionality would not be feasible without the project having started off as a Unity project.

16. Ryiah

Ryiah

I'm not referring to the asset directory structure. I'm referring to the files that are generated when you build your game.

https://docs.unity3d.com/Manual/PublishingBuilds.html

Base folder of the sample game.

SampleGameFiles.png

Contents of the "en" folder.

SampleGameEn.png

Base folder of an empty project built with Unity.

FooBase.png

Contents of the "data" folder.

FooData.png

Furthermore when you use a hex editor to open the executable binaries for both projects there are references to Unity within the Unity game but there are none whatsoever in the game made with Smile Game Builder.

Last edited: Jun 22, 2018
    Joe-Censored and Kiwasi like this.
  17. dogzerx2

dogzerx2

I think you could make game maker that *doesn't* compete with Unity. Maybe something very simple, that doesn't really compile stand-alone games, but still allows you to make games and share them on a sort of community.

Off the top of my head, it would be cool to make a little voxel game engine in Unity, so you could plot voxels or 3D sprites in a 512x512x512 environment rendered isometrically... using a minimalist node base programming method. A nice weekend project (sarcasm)