Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

GameDraw - 3D Modeling INSIDE of UNITY!

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by baha, Feb 11, 2012.

1. baha

baha

Your welcome :D

2. Tenebrous

Tenebrous

Volunteer Moderator

To be honest, I think that putting so much stuff in the inspector window is a really bad idea. Why not do it as a separate editor window? Then it doesn't force us to make it extra wide. You could also have separate editor windows for the different tabs, instead of having the different tabs.

3. baha

baha

We did this exactly with the upcoming update as GameDraw is a separate window but the inspector is still an optional choice "will not show by default"

4. Tenebrous

Tenebrous

Volunteer Moderator

Actually that's brilliant - thanks :)

Also, if you're using .meta files, they show up as blank buttons in the mesh selector:

Just thought I'd let you know :)

5. reptilebeats

reptilebeats

is there an eta on that update yet i really need this prefab problem fixed before i do any tweaking to my already saved ones

6. Demigiant

Demigiant

Hello,

just took advantage of the Asset Store Madness, and bought GameDraw. I created a new Unity Project, imported it, and wow! Tons of warning and errors! For example:
    ImportFBX Warnings:
    Can't import normals, because mesh 'Plane002' doesn't have it.

Or:
    ImportFBX Errors:
    Unsupported wedge mapping mode type. Please report this bug.

Didn't count exactly how many, but ranging from 60 to 80. What's happening? I also tried to close the project and re-open it again, or to create a new one again, but the same always happens. I love the concept of this plugin, and would love it to work.

P.S. I'm on Unity 3.5.1 and Windows 7.

Last edited: May 23, 2012
  7. baha

baha

We will fix this in the upcoming update

Yes, we have 2 updates one this week in the next couple of days, the other between that date and the end of next week, the first is focused on bug fixes and modifications, the second will introduce part of the procedural cities solution

GameDraw comes with a set of primitives, these primitives are of .obj type and these warnings seem to be a result of importing them, it should be ok to use them by the way and we will investigate this further however this should not affect your project at all and you can work normally

8. i-tech

i-tech

just bought the plug-in and imported it into the project. How to install it?

9. i-tech

i-tech

am...anyone?

10. baha

baha

Once you import it then it will be available in the meshfilter component, the next update will make it as a separate window with the option of the meshfilter disabled by default.

Yes :)

11. i-tech

i-tech

thank you for the tip :)

12. angel_m

angel_m

Just to clarify concepts, then it is possible with GameDraw to edit the vertices on a custom imported mesh? I mean not in an included primitive but on a mesh from a 3d model made in 3D Max for example.

13. baha

baha

Your welcome :)

Yes you can use it on any imported mesh :D

14. baha

baha

There is a new update "0.84" currently available at the asset store with lots of improvements and bug fixes, please always let us know of your feedback and any issues you face in order for us to tackle them.

Fixed prefab saving
    New GameDraw window and menu
    GameDraw inspector disabled by default
    Fixed issue with triangle selection
    Combine selection menu item-> normal or per mateiral
    Combine childrens menu item-> normal or per mateiral
    Does not create a copy by default
    Primitave positioning in front of camera
    primitave scaling parameter
    Trace 2D to 3D menu
    Nodes menu

15. reptilebeats

reptilebeats

thanks for the update just got on it after unity store finanaly loaded.

prefabs work a lot better now, its no longer deleting the object, and it wont make copys of the mesh unless its edited, this is either a bad thing or a good thing depending on weather you want previous versions of the mesh. me personally, i like it but would like a way to delete the meshes inside the prefab (im having a look around see what i can find out). i suppose i could just create a new prefab and copy the contents but i like to be awkward.
    i did try saving the mesh before saving as a prefab but this did not work. if saved as an object first it wont create a mesh

there does seem to be a problem with using the combine selected from the optimise tab, it will make the object smaller and if you undo this it will also make the edited mesh become the original, however as multiple objects cant be selected its pointless to have this. the option to combine meshes from the window works fine.

the primitives need a bit of fixing, their being rotated and scale is very big, i also dont like how their a child of an empty object, but not really a major issue.

also when enableing gamedraw and selecting a new mesh to work with the optimise section will not show up until you click of the object and back on it again, but is not a concern just thought i would mention it as it stumbled me for a couple seconds.

in all its a very good improvement to gamedraw with a lot more fixes than i have mentioned.

here is a few things i would personally like to see improved upon for the next update

fix objects being mirrored when exported
    deleting created meshcolliders (doesn't work on mine)
    a way to delete created meshes inside of prefabs
    primatives (but not important)
    the combine selected option inside the gamedraw optimise tab in inspector disabled as its pointless, and you can now use this feature through your window.

here are a few things i can think of ill send an email once ive played around with it a bit more. not really anything serious i can think of except the objects being mirrored on export is annoying, but can be fixed be exporting again

16. reptilebeats

reptilebeats

ok i figured out how to stop meshes going into a prefab, you must save the original and the new mesh before saving as a prefab, maybe make the meshes automatically save when a new one is created.

so if i click add mesh it will save the original and the new one, and then if i click to add another mesh it will just save that one.. maybe in a folder or something this will at least get rid of the meshes inside prefabs, but i guess others will use this differently and might not want a mesh to be saved, so to turn autosave mesh on and of would be more user friendly.

17. Stardog

Stardog

Triangle selection is still broken - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XoMtCHHw5lE

18. reptilebeats

reptilebeats

Hmm maybe this is a problem with windows as i havent had any problems, i do tend to make sure i have suitable view and tend to use wireframe mode instead of rgb, silly question but u are pressing shift or whatever the button is on pc. But as i can see the face isnt coming up anymore.

Have u tried this in an empty project with no other assets

19. baha

baha

This is worried, we are using windows for most of the development and there is no such issue but what I see from the video you provided that even the new features are not working, you don't have the new menu item, modifiable shouldn't be created by default but it is being created, GameDraw should be disabled by default but it is not, can you please drop us an email to the support to make sure the new version is working for you, it might be that what is being imported to your project isn't the new update.

20. baha

baha

I agree with reptilebeats, you should try downloading and importing the new update on a new project maybe this will solve the issue and thanks reptilebeats for your input, much appreciated :)

21. Jingle-Fett

Jingle-Fett

I don't know if this has been brought up before but is it possible to assign different materials to different faces with your system? I'm thinking along the lines for level design, if you were making a room if you'd be able to give different walls different materials.

22. angel_m

angel_m

Jingle Fett, I agree, it would be very interesting.
    I have another question, it is possible to delete selected vertices or faces on an imported mesh?

Last edited: May 26, 2012
  23. baha

baha

Yest it is possible with the assign new material button, you just select a material select faces and then click on the assign material button.

Yes but you need to make a copy of it first, there is a delete button in the edit tab so you just select the faces or the vertices and click on that button.

24. reptilebeats

reptilebeats

hi i dont suppose you have any details on what improvements are going to be added to the uv editor, i use this a lot really good for my own atlases made in photoshop. at the moment i haven't had any problems if all my textures are the same size just a simple task of changing the tiling to 0.25 and then translating the uv by 1.

i have noticed that the uv editor is upside down (up goes down and down goes up), but this is just a visual effect. i would love to see the atlas image behind the uv just to save time.

the uv scale is a bit tricky at first but easy enough to get used to. so whats on the agenda for this feature in the future

25. S0ULART

S0ULART

Hello I just wanted to buy your product at the asset store which tells me I can get it for $45.00 because of the asset store madness but after opening the asset store in unity the price rises up to $56.25 how is this possible? I'm a bit confused right now. :(

sincerely,

Soul

26. reptilebeats

reptilebeats

hi there i think you may be getting the prices wrong its 45 euros which is 56 dollars... because im in uk its 36 pounds to me but it all works out roughly the same price give or take a couple dollars on the exchange.

in fact i had an email from unity telling me it was 75 euros which hints to me after beta has ended gamedraw will almost double its price

27. reptilebeats

reptilebeats

hi i was just wandering if its possible to separate a combined object, i know that gamedraw will keep the previous objects combined disabled but it would be great to be able to select some faces and make a separate object out of these, is this possible.

if not doesn't really matter i can always make a duplicate and delete what i don't want.. maybe an option which duplicates the mesh and deletes the selected verticals of faces in the future

28. angel_m

angel_m

Why is necessary to make a copy first in order to delete vertices on a mesh? Is it only for security reasons?

29. baha

baha

We will fix the upside down issue and we will add the ability to pick from the materials textures as a background also we will reflect the select uv coordinates to into the scene and we will provide multi-selection as well as showing triangles as an option and ofcourse we will keep making it better overtime :)

It should be for 45$ maybe if you are in an area where VAT applies then the asset store will add VAT to the pricing.

I'am not sure how Unity handles pricing to different currencies but GameDraw is 45$ maybe VAT is added also your right GameDraw price will go higher after the beta until that time we will have some really interesting features coming out :D

We were thinking of making a visit to the UK before or after heading to Unite, would love to meet with you during our visit :)

On the plan but not sure if it will make it this week, maybe next week ;)

Yes, most likely you don't want to loose your original mesh or corrupt it in certain situations especially that we are still in beta so we care about keeping your models as safe as possible.

30. S0ULART

S0ULART

thank you for the fast answer :)
    is there a mirror option in game draw?
    or any possibility to model one side of an object and afterwards mirror a duplicate and attach both together?

31. baha

baha

We are planning a mirror option, hopefully we can get it soon

32. holyjewsus

holyjewsus

curious if you guys are still planning a runtime library?

33. baha

baha

Absolutely yes :D

34. reptilebeats

reptilebeats

cant wait for the new features of the uv editor then, what part of uk were u going

35. baha

baha

Mainly London but we might go to other cities depending on our scheduled meetings, we also plan to attend the LUUG as well.

36. reptilebeats

reptilebeats

I thought it would be london, i live at the very corner of southwest in cornwall. Which is a huge disadvantage as nothing really comes this way. I was gunna go unite this year but i got a kid coming same time so ill have to go next year.
    I might visit some other events in the uk if i do ill have a look see if your there.

37. baha

baha

Congratulations for your coming kid in advance :D and hopefully we get the chance to meet

38. reptilebeats

reptilebeats

hi i just had a new update is this right or is my asset store being funny as their has been some problems with it recently. v0.842

39. baha

baha

Yes but its a minor update with fixes for primitives we will have another update with new features very soon

40. i-tech

i-tech

i get a problem when modeling. Sometimes i model and everything works fine. Then i playtest. after that i add the mesh again to the list so i can work on it again. But after that i can't select anything anymore. Even the vertecies do now show up.

Regards,

Jernej

41. baha

baha

hmmmm, It should work normally, can you drop an email to the support in order to track the issue maybe try saving the mesh before testplaying in order for it to be persistent on the hard desk.

42. i-tech

i-tech

email sent

43. baha

baha

Checking it right now :)

44. baha

baha

New videos showcasing GameDraw:

Tutorial for GameDraw

Complete Scene modeled inside of Unity - Part 1

Complete Scene modeled inside of Unity - Part 2

45. reptilebeats

reptilebeats

changing comment..............
    quick workaround for people with face and vertical selection problem

i have also had this problem here is the fix that worked for me. after selecting a face press a key on the keyboard like z this will enable something else to be selected.

i also tested the window version and this works fine with no problems

Last edited: Jun 1, 2012
  46. evandromillian

evandromillian

I removed the coliders, and selected multiple triangles correctly. Maybe the colliders is interfering with the triangle selection

47. reptilebeats

reptilebeats

What did u remove the disabled mesh colliders, ill try tommorow see if it works on mine, funny thing is that the window version works perfectly, its just the inspector one that doesnt

48. S0ULART

S0ULART

49. Demigiant

Demigiant

50. baha

baha

A new update ( 0.85 ) is available with a lot of fixes, improvements and new features:

Fix for Undo
    Auto copy creation
    Fix for post processing of prefabs
    Multiselection in the UV editor
    Unwrapping
    UV editor background
    selected UVs highlighted in sceneview
    Clone
    detach
    Smooth
    Primitave not rotated on init
    Fix for empty meshfilter not showing the mesh field