Search Unity

"Gamedev-design" - making game-making more fun

Discussion in 'Game Design' started by Martin_H, Oct 19, 2017.

1. Martin_H

Martin_H

I have a slight deja-vu because with a friend of mine (also an illustrator) I've had a number of occasions where we were mutually baffled how I can appreaciate a meaningless but well crafted painting while he thought it's pointless to even make it when it's not expressing anything.

I think for a scientist that could be like a freeing from constraints. S/he might enjoy indulging pure selfish curiosity for once, or research something they personally care about but which doesn't benefit society much at all.

I've just booted Unity back up, fixed a tiny bug with a particle system, disabled one of the usability features, and turned ammo infinite for all weapons. And then I thought maybe a part of the grief I have with my game's concept comes from the fact that my original vision that I started from, never was viable to be turned into a product to begin with. But I still tried and made numerous concessions that would need to be made, to turn it into a product (but likely still not enough to achieve that).
    I was trying to capture a certain aesthetic and feeling, and ironically if I went all in on that, it would make the game look possibly even more appealing if someone saw it as a video, but it would be much harder (and maybe even less satisfying) to play for people because layers of information and feedback need to be removed to achieve that look.
    It's one of those "if it hasn't been done in a released game, there may be a good reason for that".

2. ars1koz_unity

ars1koz_unity

Interesting experience can get something more. Today, you make the game for fun, and tomorrow you're telling everyone "Gamedev is my life!"