Search Unity

Game Window Scale

Discussion in 'Editor & General Support' started by eatsleepindie, Jul 10, 2018.

1. eatsleepindie

eatsleepindie

Am I missing something, or is there a reason I would want to have my game window forced to 1.25x when scaling up text on my UHD monitors? The build itself does not scale anything, why is the minimum of the Game window slider now 1.25x?

I have never used this slider, ever. At least not intentionally. There are countless times that I wasn't sure why the contents of the Game window looked funky and that slider ended up being the culprit, likely because I moved the mouse wheel while hovered over the window accidentally. But now... now this slider is ruining my day.

I can see making the default match my scaling settings - I can't justify it with any rational thought, but I could have at least just shrugged my shoulders and muttered "why?" before moving it where it belongs. But forcing it to 1.25x is absolutely pointless.

2. eatsleepindie

eatsleepindie

My bad, it seems you can fix this by clicking the "Low resolution.." checkbox. Thing is, if you're using multiple screens, you have to look for the dropdown on the main monitor, not the monitor that the Game window is actually on. I can deal with the dropdown in the wrong place, so color me happy while I eat some crow.

3. greenheartgames

greenheartgames

Thanks for sharing this. Pretty sure I'd have wasted half a day figuring this out otherwise.

eatsleepindie likes this.
  4. scorp2007

scorp2007

Today I downloaded the version 2018.3 and the checkmark that is not shown above does not help me, each application launch it is put in 1.25x. >:-(((((((((

I noticed that in one project this does not happen, and in another happens, madness.

Last edited: Dec 19, 2018
    McGravity, fredii3 and Mrz355 like this.
  5. Erikoinen

Erikoinen

This happens for me every time I press Play. :| Super annoying.

Any idea if this setting can be set via code? So I could force it to 1x on Play.

6. fredii3

fredii3

Same problem here, I've been all over google trying to find a way to fix it, but so far I have to manually adjust the scale using the slider every time after I press play.

fnst and McGravity like this.
  7. fredii3

fredii3

Just to add something new I found - if you change the resolution and check-uncheck the "Low Resolution Aspect Ratios" a few times and then restart Unity - it fixes it. For a while.. Then the bug comes back

fnst likes this.
  8. Pixygon

Pixygon

When setting the game view resolution, use Aspect Ratio, instead of Fixed Resolution.
    Set it using the same values as you would when using Fixed.

9. SniperED007

SniperED007

This is incredibly frustrating.
    For me I used to be able to solve this by killing the Unity Hub and restarting it and then relaunching my project from there. But that doesn't seem to work anymore with the latest 2018.3.4f1

My setup is 2 monitors, 1 is 4K. Wondering if that doesn't have something to do with it?
    The issue happens on both monitors but they default to different Scales.

10. egicoro

egicoro

Hello. I think I found the root of issue. In Windows setting in Display section, we can change the size of text, apps etc. upload_2019-2-26_17-9-20.png

This parameter also change Game View Scale in Unity. I played with value of this function and Unity Scale have been change every time, when I set new value for Scale in Windows.

But I haven't enough mind to fix it :(

jeffersonjales and r35 like this.
  11. egicoro

egicoro

So, for further generation. I have some semi-solve for this annoying issue. It works for me.

This bug is appear in editor when you choosed Android build. Change your build platform to PC&Mac, open Game View and add new resolution in orientation, that you need. I am developing Anroid game in horizontal orientation so I choosed 1920x1080. After activate play mode and stop it. Now change your build platform back to Android. And scale in Game view have to stop stuck on Windows scale value.

One disadvantages: you will need do it every time, before start work in Unity.

r35 likes this.
  12. unnanego

unnanego

I'm on a mac with iOS target and it still happens(

13. jsmits062

jsmits062

This fixed the problem for me... any custom resolutions that I have configured over time have always been "Fixed Resolution"... When i updated to 2018.3 I noticed the Game Window scaling adjusts everytime I hit play when selecting one of my custom fixed resolutions. I just created a new custom resolution with the same values but this time selected "Aspect Ratio" and the game window no longer attempts to scale relative to a fixed resolution everytime I hit play.

14. Flexford

Flexford

Code (CSharp):
    1. using System;
    2. using System.Reflection;
    3. using UnityEditor;
    4. using UnityEngine;
    5. using Object = UnityEngine.Object;
    7. [InitializeOnLoad]
    8. public static class FixGameViewScale
    9. {
    10.     static FixGameViewScale()
    11.     {
    12.         EditorApplication.playModeStateChanged += OnPlayStateChanged;
    13.         SetGameViewScale();
    14.     }
    16.     private static void OnPlayStateChanged(PlayModeStateChange playModeStateChange)
    17.     {
    18.         SetGameViewScale();
    19.     }
    21.     private static void SetGameViewScale()
    22.     {
    23.         Type gameViewType = GetGameViewType();
    24.         EditorWindow gameViewWindow = GetGameViewWindow(gameViewType);
    26.         if (gameViewWindow == null)
    27.         {
    28.             return;
    29.         }
    31.         var defScaleField = gameViewType.GetField("m_defaultScale", System.Reflection.BindingFlags.Instance | System.Reflection.BindingFlags.NonPublic);
    33.         //whatever scale you want when you click on play
    34.         float defaultScale = 0.1f;
    36.         var areaField = gameViewType.GetField("m_ZoomArea", System.Reflection.BindingFlags.Instance | System.Reflection.BindingFlags.NonPublic);
    37.         var areaObj = areaField.GetValue(gameViewWindow);
    39.         var scaleField = areaObj.GetType().GetField("m_Scale", System.Reflection.BindingFlags.Instance | System.Reflection.BindingFlags.NonPublic);
    40.         scaleField.SetValue(areaObj, new Vector2(defaultScale, defaultScale));
    41.     }
    43.     private static Type GetGameViewType()
    44.     {
    45.         Assembly unityEditorAssembly = typeof(EditorWindow).Assembly;
    46.         Type gameViewType = unityEditorAssembly.GetType("UnityEditor.GameView");
    47.         return gameViewType;
    48.     }
    50.     private static EditorWindow GetGameViewWindow(Type gameViewType)
    51.     {
    52.         Object[] obj = Resources.FindObjectsOfTypeAll(gameViewType);
    53.         if (obj.Length > 0)
    54.         {
    55.             return obj[0] as EditorWindow;
    56.         }
    57.         return null;
    58.     }
    59. }

Last edited: Nov 21, 2022
    TotiVasilev, TeeArr, AGregori and 7 others like this.
  15. JohnnyFactor

JohnnyFactor

This is not the same thing though. Setting it to "resolution" gives a pixel perfect representation of your device. Invaluable for setting up things like mipmaps, anistropy and texture resolutions. This may not apply to pc/mac targets, depending on your game.

16. howler123

howler123

Just created a screen in Aspect Ratio, not Fixed Resolution fixed it.

17. okartgame

okartgame

upload_2019-5-23_12-45-55.png Me helped installing Type in Aspect Ratio

18. firstuser

firstuser

Workaround is great but a real fix would be really nice.

19. paulartcc

paulartcc

Unity 2019.1.6f1 bug is still there. It's absolutely annoying.

20. TheGameLearner

TheGameLearner

Whenever I am on a new system or new code, I often search for @Flexford 's answer for the script.
    It should have fixed by now somewhere for all stable releases.

21. Smams68

Smams68

yup.

22. ErrorCommander

ErrorCommander

This problem have for Unity 2022.3.8f1, with select platform Android. For PC - all ok.
    I have the scale set to a value of 1.3.
    This happens even when using the "Aspect" resolution. It still doesn't fit in the area of my window, which is very annoying.

Last edited: Sep 25, 2023
  23. CortiWins

CortiWins

@Flexford, it's been half a year since you've been in this forum, but just in case you ever happen to come back i want you to know how really helpful this script is to me and that i appreciate that you shared your work here.

24. KrynosStudios

KrynosStudios

I have found a working workaround for this issue for anyone who has the same problem.

1. Right click on the "Game" tab at the top of the screen
    2. Click "Close tab"
    3. Right click on an open tab and select "Add tab > Game"
    4. Change view from "Free aspect" to desired resolution
    5. Change scale to desired value and hit play

Now the game will start at the proper scale every time.

ozgurkara71 likes this.
  25. Lo-renzo

Lo-renzo

For editor problems of all stripes, sometimes it helps to reset the Layout to Default in the top right then apply a more specific fix.

d - Copy.png

rasofiagames likes this.
  26. rasofiagames

rasofiagames

This was the fix we were looking for. Thank you kindly!

27. copperLP

copperLP

Just right click the Game tab, close it, and re-open the game window, the problem will be fixed.