Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Question Game View Visibility for filmmakers

Discussion in 'Getting Started' started by andykarta, Sep 13, 2021.

1. andykarta

andykarta

Probably a total noob question. If I start a HDRP project there's a beautiful gold ball with the Unity symbol. I just want to make it disappear from the game view while still visible in the scene view. I saw a video that started a script but it didn't really show how to do it to different objects without reopening Visual Studio and what if I have to do it a bunch of different objects. Say for example I had an overhead of fifty romulan warbirds and needed to show them in cloaked and uncloaked mode for a video, not a game. I need to start by making the darn gold ball disappear and reappear and I don't see a render tag that another tutorial said I could use. Please help.

2. Joe-Censored

Joe-Censored

It depends on how you make the object disappear whether it will disappear in both the game view and scene view. If you disable the GameObject or renderer, it will disappear in both. You could put it on its own layer, and disable that layer on the camera, and it will appear in the scene view still while not in the game view (but all objects on that layer will disappear at the same time instead of just an individual object).

For a cloaking effect, you probably want to fade out instead of just instantly disappear though. What I would do is put some other object on these ships or whatever they are that you want to fade in and out, basically an icon that hovers over them. Place this icon object on its own layer, and disable just that layer on the game view camera. Then you can make the object fade in and out, which will happen in both views, but you'll see the icon still in the scene view to track what it is doing.

As far as fading in and out, maybe use a transparent shader so you can fade it in and out with opacity. Sorry I don't have much experience with HDRP specifically to help with that part.

3. andykarta

andykarta

Thanks for the help. Keyframing opacity does the trick in the camera view and layers are okay for the scene view. The only issue now is that with all my assets it's a lot of layers since the things that appear and disappear in different groups that can't go on the same layers. So I've brute forced this with just adding duplicate assets. Not a solution a lot of game devs use, I bet. I guess I'm going to have to figure out what works for me. This is a big change from Maya and Redshift in terms of workflow, obviously. I guess I gotta just get used to doing things differently. But thank's Joe.