Search Unity

Game View -> "Low Resolution Aspect Ratios"

Discussion in 'Editor & General Support' started by Rob-Meade, Aug 18, 2018.

1. Rob-Meade

Rob-Meade

Hi,

Just wondering if anyone can shed some light on this for me please.

Looking through old versions, release history and so on it would seem that this was added as an option in the Game View in Unity 5.5. Until Unity 2018.2 it was only displayed for users running the editor on MacOS, as of 2018.2 it is now displayed for Windows users also.

It appears as _on_ (checked) but the option as a whole is _disabled_;

upload_2018-8-18_14-24-57.png

Questions:
    • Is this actually doing anything behind the scenes when disabled? As it is disabled, I am unable to turn it off?
    • Under what circumstances does this option become relevant, I'm guessing Mac users or if you have a Retina display attached, but unsure and unable to test.
    I did have a trawl through the release history but haven't been able to spot anything which suggested it was added as a feature for Windows users other than this, at the bottom of the 2018.2 documentation;

When you read the documentation, it no longer specifically mentions that it only appears for users running the editor on Mac OS, but equally doesn't go into any detail with regards to _why_ it may appear disabled etc.

Any information would be gratefully received.

Kind regards,

Rob

Attached Files:

2. my_little_kafka

my_little_kafka

For me this checkbox is enabled, because I use 125% windows scaling on Windows 10. Without this checkbox everything in the editor is scaled (and you can't ignore the scaling, like in old version of Unity, since Unity 2018.2 you just can't have a normal user interface with windows scaling) and the game window looks scaled too, which is unfortunate. So checking this option makes the game window act like it's not scaled at all, which helps, but not so much. More details in my post here

It's kinda scary that everyone ignores the issue, I'm using 2018.1 now solely because I can disable windows scaling in that version

3. Rob-Meade

Rob-Meade

Just to check, when you say _"I use 125% windows scaling on Windows 10."_, that's as in, to make all the windows in Windows (gah, that sounds horrible) appear larger correct, e.g. not a Unity specific thing?

You mentioned _"without this checkbox", does that imply you can uncheck yours?

Thanks for the reply, details and the link, will go have a read now. :)

4. my_little_kafka

my_little_kafka

Yeah, that's the setting in Display Settings on Windows 10, I believe same thing was in Windows 7 too, I use it to make the text bigger, but in Unity I always check the option to ignore the scaling, because I need more space in the editor, and this Windows specific ignore chekbox is no longer working in .2 versions

5. Rob-Meade

Rob-Meade

I see. Out of interest, was that a Windows setting, e.g. you could disable it for specific programs, rather than it being an option within Unity itself?

For me I don't really know why this option is greyed out, I have to assume it's because it _doesn't apply_ to my setup, but I don't know what that really means... e.g. is it because I am not running MacOS, is it because I am not using a Retina display... and, as it displays it as _checked_, is it doing something that I cannot turn off! Not that I know what of course! hehe..

6. my_little_kafka

my_little_kafka

Yes, there's an option in the .exe settings if you right mouse button click it, where you can ignore the scaling for the given software.

The funniest thing that .2 editor starts without any scaling at all, like it's ignoring it (but the window is still too big):

And after a split second it scales:

7. Rob-Meade

Rob-Meade

Gremlins! :)

Have you popped it up on the issue tracker? I had a look there before I posted here to see if there as anything related, I could only see a couple of issues but I don't think there was anything specific about your scaling issue. Just a thought.

8. my_little_kafka

my_little_kafka

Oh, good idea, just filed an issue to the tracker!

Rob-Meade likes this.
  9. gruff74

gruff74

Hi,

Do you have an update on the issue tracker?
    I seem to experience the same issue after updating to the 2018.2.13f1 (from a 2017 version); the checkbox is now disabled.
    Kind regards, Erik

10. Rob-Meade

Rob-Meade

It wasn't the original query I posted about that @my_little_kafka was going to post on the Issue Tracker about @gruff74.

From what I have been able to ascertain, this option is only enabled if you are using Retina devices / 4K screens.

11. Giometric

Giometric

Yes, that option only applies if you're on a Hi-DPI screen of some kind. It basically means "render the game view at 1:1 with the pixel density of the monitor, instead of rendering as if it were lower-res and then scaling up".

On Mac OS, the option is available when using Retina-enabled screens (like the built-in screen on any Retina MacBook/MacBook Pro), or specifically, if your display mode is set to do any kind of retina scaling, which some external monitors do support.

On Windows, it'll be available if you're using any display scaling setting greater than 100% in the Windows settings.

If you have multiple monitors, the Unity window must also be on the monitor that is using the Retina or Hi-DPI mode.

Rob-Meade likes this.
  12. Rob-Meade

Rob-Meade

Thanks for the further info :)

13. rephie0000

rephie0000

Probably a dumb question but where do I find the .exe setting?

14. my_little_kafka

my_little_kafka

Right click on the .exe (or a shortcut), go to Compatibility tab, there should be a DPI settings option

15. touk2009

touk2009

HelloI would like to be able to uncheck the option "Low Resolution Aspect Ratios" do you know how

LuckyMisterSleven likes this.