Search Unity

Game view goes dark grey in 5.4.0f3

Discussion in 'General Graphics' started by arkano22, Aug 1, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. arkano22

arkano22

Is anyone else constantly getting this error in Unity 5.4.0f3?:

RenderTexture warning: Destroying active render texture. Switching to main context.

When this happens, the editor game view goes completely black until you switch to/from fullscreen. It happens around 3-4 times per minute, which is annoying to the point of making me consider go back to 5.3.
    Happens in all of my six projects.

I read in the 5.4 beta forums of a very similar issue that made it to RC2, could it be that it has slipped trough?

2. AntonVazhinsky

AntonVazhinsky

I have the same problem, on OS X El Capitan

3. arkano22

arkano22

OS X El Capitan here too. I´m considering sending a bug report now that this doesn´t sound like it's just me.

Also, if you resize the game view window while it's black, do you get random garbage? Seems like the render texture used by Unity as the final rendering target is getting destroyed for no reason.

4. AntonVazhinsky

AntonVazhinsky

It looks as if the resize window. So far, it is necessary to establish unity 5.3 so it is impossible to work.

Attached Files:

5. arkano22

arkano22

Yes, this is exactly what is happening to me. I will report it and revert back to 5.3 in the meantime, since the editor is unusable in this state.

6. artysta

artysta

This is happening to me as well (also El Capitan) I have to close the Game Window and open a new one and it comes back alive. It has me worried (again), is this going to crash my devices?

7. arkano22

arkano22

Haven't deployed anything with 5.4 on El Capitan, but chances are standalone builds will also have this problem. I assume the rendering path is the same for both the editor and standalone, so if the editor is affected builds will too.

I could be wrong tho, so just try it. Also, will probably only happen to people playing your game on El Capitan.

8. zedarus

zedarus

Yep, happens to me as well on OS X 10.11.6: game view goes "black" (well, not completely black, but filled with its background color #282828). But I still can't find a 100% way to reproduce this.

9. arkano22

arkano22

Yes, I suppose that color comes from some place in the graphics card video memory, probably from some other unrelated texture used by the editor UI. As soon as you resize the view, garbage will replace it.

I suppose the result of having a render texture that has already been destroyed bound for rendering is undefined, thus you get something (anything) else from the video memory instead.

Btw, no progress on the bug report I sent. Haven´t heard back from Unity on this.

10. artysta

artysta

I'm only building iOS builds at the moment and testing has not seen this on the mobile devices, so far only in the editor.

11. arkano22

arkano22

If this is a El Capitan only issue as it seems, will not happen in any other platform / OS. This seems to confirm it. :)

12. Koth

Koth

I can confirm that this is not limited to El Capitan, I am having the same issue on OS X 10.8.5 using Unity 5.4. My screen doesn't go black but it goes to the default grey background of the scene editor. Fixes itself when I pause and unpause play mode. Haven't encountered it in builds yet but I just started using 5.4 today.

arkano22 likes this.
  13. akeplinger

akeplinger

Seeing this to. The Game view works for a while, then goes black. If I resize the game view I get graphical garbage. If I close the Game window and open a new one it works for a while but eventually goes black again. Alternating pause and play has no effect. Using multiple monitors so it might be some side effect of that.

14. arkano22

arkano22

Hi akeplinger,

I only use one monitor (laptop mac) and I get the exact same behavior you describe, so I think it's not related to the amount of monitors.

Which OS are you using? Just to get an idea of the severity of this in terms of users affected. The more we are, the faster we´ll draw attention towards this bug.

15. artysta

artysta

Im using 10.11.6 El Capitan with 2 monitors on a late2013 27" iMac. Happens at least once a day but usually many more times at what seems to be random times. It goes Grey, not black, and for me I have to close the Game window and re-open to fix. I don't have to re-run Unity.

16. arkano22

arkano22

Yep, mine is also dark grey. Closing the game window does not fix it for me, though.

17. ppixu

ppixu

This has been happening to me for some time with Unity 5.4 betas, and now in the release version. Rebooting Unity fixes it. Sometimes ticking off "Maximize on play" helps as well. Using 15" MBP Mid 2015 with AMD M370X and latest El Capitan.

18. juan-jo

juan-jo

Same here.
    If you switch to another tab and then back to the 'Game' tab it works again.
    Quite annoying anyway.

19. Ayrik

Ayrik

This is happening to me too. If switching tabs doesn't work, I switch layouts, and if that doesn't work I have to restart Unity. Not fun if it happens right in the middle of testing something! :( I'd like to submit a bug report but usually I'm on the train without proper wifi and it's hard for me to remember to send in a report when I get home....

20. Buhlaine

Buhlaine

Community Manager

Just wanted to pop in and give you a few links that are related. We currently have an issuetracker page up for a similar bug, https://issuetracker.unity3d.com/issues/game-view-disappears-after-playmode. I'm looking around to see if I can find one that is your exact issue.

Here is also a thread that is going to be updated by our editor team regarding the issuetracker above. http://forum.unity3d.com/threads/blank-game-view.421817/ This issue was also mentioned in that thread, it might be worth monitoring.

21. N1warhead

N1warhead

I'm on Windows, and mine just goes straight black, occasionally the scene view goes black instead.... Only way to fix it is to restart. Or revert factory settings (Which i hate doing).

Happens a good 10 times a day.

22. juan-jo

juan-jo

For me (in Mac) sometimes it takes several tab switches. Sometimes the view gets full of glitches and sometimes black, but after 1-4 tries, it back to normal (for a few minutes with luck…)

23. jeffsherwin

jeffsherwin

Have this same problem. Am able to get around it by right-clicking next to game tab and opening a new game window using Add Tab, then closing the initial game window. Not optimal but is reliable for me.

Last edited: Aug 27, 2016
  24. andersemil

andersemil

Same issue here OS X 10.11.6. I have both Scene and Game views docked in the editor, sometimes during Playmode, the game view will disappear and I can't switch between Scene and Game views. If I undock and redock the views eventually they will come back, they might contain garbage/scrambled textures.
    Another issue since upgrading to 5.4.0 which seems related is when I drag a reference to a gameobject into a field in the inspector, when I drop it, the view is not updated until I click something else. Sometimes the Project view won't update either. It seems related in some redraw-typish-manner

25. x4maT

x4maT

Same issue - every 5 min...
    UNITY 5.4.0 f3 Personal
    OS X EL CAPITAL 10.11.6!

26. arkano22

arkano22

Sometimes happens in other windows for me, not only the scene view. The inspector, the scene hierarchy, the profiler...depending on the project they all go dark and if you resize the editor, they begin showing garbage, like a corrupted/uninitialized render texture would. The only thing besides restarting that fixes it for me is to reset the window layout to one of the defaults.

Last edited: Sep 7, 2016
  27. Demon-Kleenr

Demon-Kleenr

Same thing its very annoying. Im on osx version 10.9.5 with unity 5.4.0f3 personal

28. sdowd-topps

sdowd-topps

I also see this behavior on El Capitan 10.11.5 (15F34) using Unity 5.4.0.f3 within both the Scene Window and the Game Window. I use two monitors. It seems to occur when I remove focus from unity after a run in the editor and return focus. As with above, the screen turns black(dark grey) and a resize causes garbage to be displayed. Work arounds are, as stated above, close the tab and reopen, restart unity, or switch to a default layout.

29. Kronnect

Kronnect

Confirmed. Happens over here as well on Mac OSX/El Capitan.

30. jmguillemette

jmguillemette

Confirmed.. same issue for me on my mac.
    very very annoying.

31. Buhlaine

Buhlaine

Community Manager

In an effort to keep relevant information in a single thread I'm closing this thread. Please post future updates/issues related to this in the quoted thread below. Our devs should post an update there when they have news for everyone.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.