Search Unity

Game under the age of 13 - COPPA - Play Store

Discussion in 'Android' started by siddharth3322, Mar 24, 2018.

1. siddharth3322

siddharth3322

I have made a game specially for children and on Play Store, I decided to launch the game. At their I found this kind of option:

COPPACertificate.png

Something related to COPPA exist at Google, I have following doubts in my mind:
    • If I select Yes then I require to do any steps from my side?
    • Any kind of certificate I require to get from Google for my game?
    • What kind of advantage I got from this?
    Please provide me some suggestions regarding this because I am little bit confused in clear understanding.

2. daxiongmao

daxiongmao

Coppa is a child protection requirement in the United States. There can be big penalties for not following it.
    It is directed at protecting information of children under 13. There are lots of rules and requirements.
    But it is mostly directed at what information you collect from them. Personal details, locations, real world information, pictures, ads etc.

Unfortunately you can not just give your game a higher age rating if it looks like something younger kids would play.
    I would suggest you do a lot of research and possibly consult a lawyer.

There is a coppa website that gives information but I don't think it is that clear. In the game I was working on our data backend is coppa compliant, we use coppa compliant ad services and do not collect personal information.

siddharth3322 likes this.
  3. siddharth3322

siddharth3322

@daxiongmao Thank you for sharing some more details regarding COPPA :)

Basically my game is really small kids game so I thought lets put under COPPA, if it get highlighted in children section of store.
    I don't know, COPPA is some what complex.

4. daxiongmao

daxiongmao

I don't think you have to be certified or do anything.
    If you are following the rules is enough.

I think there are places you can hire that will help you ensure you are compliant and give you some thing saying you are. But I think that is outside of coppa.

If you do not collect any data, show ads, chats etc. then you may already be coppa compliant.

Do not take my word for it. I just have some experience researching this.
    You will need to do your own.

But I believe it's something that applies regardless of your answer to goolgle.
    You can say no. But if your app falls under the coppa rules then you still have to follow them.

And yes it is complex and not very clear. Good luck.

5. siddharth3322

siddharth3322

One more point, I have used AdMob ads within game so is that create any problem?
    Any kind of settings, I require to apply over their?

6. EmmersionStudios

EmmersionStudios

Listen. Go hire a lawyer. We can not give you legal advice. COPPA carries fines in the range of tens of thousands of dollars. Do it right, or don't do anything at all.

7. siddharth3322

siddharth3322

@EmmersionStudios thank you for making this more clear :)
    May be like me many other developers can get now better idea.

EmmersionStudios likes this.